• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trainbearer, Peru, September 12th (1 Viewer)

paul47

This was taken in central Peru, in an area where you can get Black-tailed and Green-tailed Trainbearers.

I think it must be a Green-tailed, but I'd be grateful if someone could confirm.

Paul

Attachments

• Sep12S2.JPG
    Sep12S2.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 91
I am curious to see what this one ends up as. The second longest tail feathers looks like they should on Black-tailed (dark w green tip); the next set indicated green-tailed (all green). Any other images even if out of focus?

Niels

I would agree with Niels as the feathers are a little confusing. If I had to venture a guess I would say a Green-tailed. I would base this on the straighter bill and a slightly shorter tail. Here is a photo of a Black-tailed as a comparison. If you have some additional photos it would help.

Attachments

• Black-Tailed_Trainbearer.jpg
    Black-Tailed_Trainbearer.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 69
Additional photos

Thanks very much for the replies! Here are two other photos - unfortunately I don't have any pictures showing a front view.

I'm fairly certain these photos are of the same individual, but it was very active so I can't be 100% certain.

Attachments

• Sep12S2b.JPG
    Sep12S2b.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 55
  • Sep12S2c.JPG
    Sep12S2c.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 56
I would still lean toward the GT. the BT has a slightly decurved bill and the first photo of this group shows the much straighter bill of the GT.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back