• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mississippi Kites (1 Viewer)

T0rqueless

We just had this guy come to our house and say that we have an anomaly in our yard. Appearntly we have mississippi kites nesting in a tree in our yard im not really sure what this means but he says that there will be a bunch of birdwatchers coming to our house now...and somehow they track them and that this is the furthest north they have ever seen them. and they only range as far north as tennessee and north carolina...i live in north virginia near MD.

Welcome to Birdforum, TOrqueless, and congratulations on your Kites. The adult is a beautiful bird-- soft grey with a black circle around its eye. They give a shrill whistling note. They do get as far north as southern Virginia, I think, but you must be right on the edge of their breeding range.

Yes, you may have some birdwatchers coming to your front door or peering over your fence. Give them some coffee and tell them to stay out of your flowerbeds.

Hi there TOrqueless and a warm welcome to you from the staff here at BirdForum.net.

Lucky you! Hopefully the lookers will be a polite bunch and mind their manners.

Torqueless, welcome!!

I'm a little envious -- I just went searching this last Friday for any of the Mississippi Kites who nest in southern Indiana -- there were 3 nests this season at Lincoln State Park and the Lincoln Boyhood National Historical Park just across the road -- but had no luck whatsoever!!

If you do allow birders onto your property in order to see the birds, you'll have a bunch of grateful people on your hands -- and, I hope, polite ones!!

Mississippi Kites in Oklahoma

Hello, my husband and I live in an area where many Kites migrate to each year. A pair have nested in a huge River Elm by our driveway, and have done for three years. This morning we watched a Kite land on a dead limb with a frog in its claws and then peck at the frog for sometime, before flying away, to the nest we thought. But we didn't actually see that.

I would like to know if anyone else has ever seen a Kite take a frog, and how far would they fly with a frog. We are in drouth here, and it is a mile or more to a pond.

Only in one of the years have the pair left with two youngsters. They usually lose one of the chicks.

We are not avid birdwatchers, we just got interested in the Kites, we have really enjoyed watching them and feel bad when a loss occurs.

ginna

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back