• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'British Birds' Rarities issue (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

Got the 'British Birds' November issue the other day with the 'Report on Rare Birds in Gret Britain in 2003.'

With all the photos of rarities now being posted routinely on various websites it may not be quite so eagerly awaited as formerly, but it's always good to read the 'official' report and it will increase in value (I don't mean financially) in years to come.

Haven't checked all the rarity finders, but it's nice to see at least four BF members' photos being used, including Nigel Blake's shot of the UK's second Black Lark.

Best bit though, is past the rarities feature, in the 'Notes' - a Pied Wagtail that has 'learned' how to activate the automatic doors at Reading Services (West) on the M4 motorway, in order to get inside to pick up scraps of food from the floor between the dining-tables!

always a top read Adey

some good stuff in there - would like to see more field notes though...

noticed my name was omitted from a Dusky Warbler at Waxham despite finding it and sending in a full set of notes.....

ho hum....we're not in it for the fame!!!

Tim Allwood said:
always a top read Adey

noticed my name was omitted from a Dusky Warbler at Waxham despite finding it and sending in a full set of notes.....

Perhaps the 'et al' is a shorthand version of your name, Tim!

Sadly I no longer get BB (cost!), could anybody tell me if there is a Ferruginous Duck accepted for Willington GP in Derbyshire please, still haven't heard from the BBRC about it!

Cheers anybody who can help!

Tim Allwood said:
always a top read Adey

Well I got my name against the Blyth's Reedie in my avatar in spite of not sending in a description. You obviously don't shmooze enough, Tim.

For James... yes your Fudgie duck is in with you as first name.

Docmartin said:
Well I got my name against the Blyth's Reedie in my avatar in spite of not sending in a description. You obviously don't shmooze enough, Tim.

Watcha Doc

Don't schmooze at all I'm afraid

I like the low profile

Bird Forum is kool - the UK birding scene i don't much care for I'm afraid ;)

Ciao
Tim

Eyebrowed Thrush in Northumberland April
loadsa Black Kites
a few Red Foots
Buff-bellied Pipit Suffolk November
Nutcracker in Herefordshire
Eleonoras Suffolk May

all possible of course
nothing drastic

Tch tch. This won't do! 'Sno fun without a few outrageous claims! Maybe the general standard of birding is improving? (I'd better retire then...)

It would be funnier if they put a one line reason next to rejections, eg:

Lesser Kestrel, Watford Gap, January 14th. Observer is known stringer.
Black Kite, Dungeness, Kent May 20th. Field sketch traced from the shell guide.
Pathological Shearwater, Flamborough, August 12th. We didn't even bother reading the description.
Rustic Bunting, Cley, May 2nd. Description does not eliminate Turnstone.

Naming and shaming would be good too.

tom mckinney said:
Really? Was told that was really good (well observer really good)...
Just because a bird gets rejected, doesn't mean it wasn't so.
BTW is my shot of the IOM Steppe Grey Shrike in there? They asked me for a copy and said they would send me a complimentary issue, but I haven't received it.

I only got my initals in once this time .. but I was stark naked at the time I found said bird which I reckon is worth a bit of kudos..

The Dutch... being more brusque then Brits do put reasons for rejections in their report.. its one of the reasons I love Dutch Birding!

Must go and see what happened to Darell's pipit

Jane Turner said:
I only got my initals in once this time .. but I was stark naked at the time I found said bird which I reckon is worth a bit of kudos..

Who was more surprised, you or the tern?

Like Martin, I got in via my avatar. The lack of outrageous claims this year is a sore disappointment - one of the first bits of the report I look at!

Rob

edenwatcher said:
Who was more surprised, you or the tern?

I was for sure... I'd scoped a gull roost before my shower.... so when I looked through the scope post shower.. while picking a towel off the radiator.. I was more than a little surprised to find it pointing directly at the tern.... full summer plumage adult so it took about half a pico second to identify.

The lack of clothes did cost a few other local birders the record though... no mobile phone and I spent the time it was in view watching it rather than getting dressed abd going down for the mobile... at least it hung about, though not in Cheshire!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back