• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current Book Deals (1 Viewer)

Watcha BFers

as a bookaholic who loves a bargain (I always end up using a book somewhere along the line - and exotic field guides are an excuse for travel!) I'd like to try and start a thread for members to alert the rest of us to any good book deals going on.....such as the recent half price deals on Guardian Spirit of the East Bank and lots of the Helm series such as Thrushes, Pheasants, Partridges and Grouse etc....

So, if you see anything (and remember) let us all know on here - after you've secured your own copy of course!

Happy reading and good birding
Tim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birds of Africa
Ian Sinclair and Peter Ryan
great book almost a tenner off at £21.99

Collins Field Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Central America
Ber Van Perlo. An excellent guide to a the whole region and down to £14 from £20

both from NHBS
www.nhbs.com

Cheap Helm Books

There's already been a long thread on this earlier.
I bought a stack from:
G David
16 St Edward's Passage
Cambridge CB2 3PJ
Tel: 01223-354619
Fax: 01223-324663
I live in Budapest and they arrived beautifully packed in under a week.
When I was in Charing Cross Road 2 weeks ago I saw more in
Henry Pordes Books Ltd
58-60 Charing Cross Rd
London WC2H 0BB
Tel: 020-7836-9031
Fax: 020-7240-4232
e-mail: [email protected]

Hope that helps...and Good Shopping!! The Helm and Pica books are really great, and the reductions are in the order of £35 to £12.50!!

Best

David

Slightly diverting this thread, but still about books - I have a question about the rather expensive gulls book? Did the first edition that was recalled have a lot of errors? What I'm thinking is there must be a lot of the the duff books floating about (think you only had to return the corner of the sleeve to get a new copy) and must be some going very cheap? Is this being an original scrooge? Or perhaps not a bad idea?

Andrew - the books were from www.wildsounds.com Good deals and the proprietor Duncan McDonald is a good bloke who gives a heck of a lot of his profits to OBC, NBC, ABC and bird conservation in general

Jos, seeing as the reprint is apparently only marginally better I'd certainly have a cheapy original off someone...

Several years ago Handbook of Bird IDs (Harris, Vinicombe, Tucker) were remaindered in Blackpool for a couple of quid. I picked up a spare copy, and considered picking up several more to sell at cost to local bird club members.

Wish I had, they are now quite valuable. I did sell one of my two to a deserving recipient on Bird Forum, but only asked purchase price (am I mad?).

Stephen.

Tim Allwood said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Birds of Africa
Ian Sinclair and Peter Ryan
great book almost a tenner off at £21.99
www.nhbs.com

Birds of Africa is available from Amazon at £20.99, with free postage since it's over £19. I got my copy within 2-3 days, but when I ordered another for a friend they reported that the waiting time was now 4-5 weeks.

Tim Allwood said:
Watcha BFers

...So, if you see anything (and remember) let us all know on here - after you've secured your own copy of course!

Happy reading and good birding
Tim

I picked up a copy of David Rosair & David Cottridge's Photographic Guide to Waders of The World in my local remainder bookshop for £9.99 at the weekend. It's probably available in others, but I can grab a copy if anyone wants one.

The old version of National Geographic field guide, N America, is still going for half price at Borders and maybe Barned and Noble stores in the sale book section.

There is also a Smithsonian HUGE field guide going for $20. The east version is more portable.

Eh?

john barclay said:
3 Volumes of BWP at £19.99 (give-away)...and to think that I paid full price for the full set..years ago.

Me thinks I'll wait for HBW when that starts to sell for £20/£30 per volume!..and I'm assured it will!

JB.

I can only see two volumes of BWP (VIII and IX) and they are both £14.99. Am I missing something? :h?:

DKR said:
I can only see two volumes of BWP (VIII and IX) and they are both £14.99. Am I missing something? :h?:

Earlier today there were 3 volumes of BWP at £19.99 each. Perhaps one has been sold...still giving them away though...buy em!

John B

Did everybody see this post that was on a different thread. Hopefully they can take payments from out of US (the pound should give great value against the dollar right now!):

Rare Bird Book and Natural History *Half Price Sale*
The Natural Resources Foundation, a Wisconsin based non-profit organization, is proud to extend the sale of Ron Johnson’s (former curator at the Miami Meterozoo) exclusive and rare Natural History and Bird Book Collection. Currently, all titles are 50% off (listed price includes 50% discount) starting November 15th and running until December 30th, 2004. Additional savings for orders over $100

This amazing collection includes an extensive group of books on aviculture as well as field guides, monographs, waterfowl, natural history and game birds. Ron has graciously donated his entire library (over 650 books) to NRF with the intention that all the proceeds will be used to fund conservation projects throughout Wisconsin.

To view the list of books and to place your orders please visit http://www.nrfwis.org/birdbooks/index.htm For further information email [email protected] (place bird book in the subject line) or call toll free 866-264-4096

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back