• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nothing spectacular ~ just some pics (1 Viewer)

Dizzy

Hi all,
Just thought I'd put on a couple of pics. Its been a bit quiet this year as none of my sisters could make it up for a visit, so I've been a bit bored ;) The housework is done, I've watched all my xmas dvds, and as I cant get out into the garden just now I've been spending a lot of time at the kitchen window snapping away ~ the majority of which as usual were rubbish :-O . The gardens quite busy though so theres been plenty to keep me amused.

Attachments

• 000_8861.JPG
    000_8861.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 000_8830.JPG
    000_8830.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 000_8771.JPG
    000_8771.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 000_8844.JPG
    000_8844.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 000_8855bluetits.jpg
    000_8855bluetits.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 42
some more.

Attachments

• 000_8800.JPG
    000_8800.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 000_8812.JPG
    000_8812.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 000_8846.JPG
    000_8846.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 000_8853.JPG
    000_8853.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 34
  • 000_8826.JPG
    000_8826.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 34
Just had to include this one..has to be one of the worst I've ever taken. Poor thrush ~ I've done him a dis-service..lol ;) Mmmmm....did I take this before or after the couple of glasses of wine with dinner!!!!! ;)

Attachments

• 000_8832.JPG
    000_8832.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 34
Are those Blue Tits ... the last pic in the first post? They are lovely!

Who's in the second pic. in the first post? Your sparrows look very content and well fed.

L.

Hi Dizzy,
Some nice pics amongst the drunken Thrush!!!!!! :eek!: lol!!!
Is that a Blackcap I see in the 1st batch?
I'm still waiting for the re-appearance of mine,everything is in situ,apples etc but as yet NOWT!!!!!!
Keep on clicking!
Best wishes,

Hi Dizzy.
I love looking at garden pics, they are sooo cute, well done.

Aw, I miss my sister too, she lives in USA, but xmas DVD's (and the odd tipple) do help!!
Talking about DVD's I HIGHLY reccomend "The Booze Cruise" box set. it's absolutely hillarious!

Thanks for showing your pics Dizzy, keep em comming!

Hi Matt,

Well spotted, you can see the different shape of the 'cap' too.

Still a nice bird to have on your feeder. I don't have any personal experience but would have thought that Blackcaps on feeders would be very rare. Sue?

Bill.

matt green said:
I thought that aswell!, A second look reveals a female Bullfinch :gh:
You can just about make out the short black ''stubby'' beak.

Matt
Sorry got my batches mixed up,I was looking at pic 2 batch 2?????
Though I'm thinking you may be right again with a female Bullfinch on this one too??? but it looks like a Blackcap to me????

Hi all,

Lydia....2nd pic 1st post is a Goldfinch...the blue tits are lovely wee birds arent they?
Pics....Ooooooh...I'll keep my eye out for that..I love a good laugh.
Ruth...Ah yes the apples..lol...I'm keeping my eye out for a bit of wood..I liked what Sues hubby did for her with the piece of wood on a post..good idea.
Matt..Ruth...confused re the blackcap..I'm putting up a fresh post with a few more pics to see what it is or is not..lol Thanks
Bill....I thought that about the blackbird too (1st pic) ;) but this one seems to be making a habit of visiting the sunflower feeder. He was back again this morning sharing with a collared dove this time!!!!

Best wishes

Last edited:
Great photos Dizzy. It seems your garden is very busy at the moment with lots of variety. I'm afraid mine is rather quiet. Your avatar reminds me though, a Song Thrush popped in today and a Green Woodpecker in the field. Very jealous of your Bullfinches (if that's what they are!) I'm always delighted to see them.

Hi Kezza and thanks. The garden is busying up now,I hope yours gets going soon. I'm glad you saw a Song Thrush ~ they have to be my favourite garden bird, and lucky you seeing a Woodpecker. I heard a one up my local woods in the summer, I walk the dog up there every day, but no matter how long I waited around or how hard I looked I never ever managed to see him!

Best wishes

Hi Dizzy,
Lovely mix of birds there in a lovely set of photos. Nice to see the Greenfinches, still missing mine since the Trich. decimated 'em.
Errrmm :h?: am I missing some posts here?? or am I going barmy?? The Bill/Matt/Ruth ones have me in a tizz! as they don't seem to all be here or...are they...??
and I don't even drink!! so I haven't even got that excuse!!! Oh well....I'll put it down to me age!!
Anyway as I was saying....lovely lot of birds Dizzy. I've never seen a Blackbird on a feeder before....the clever thing!!
Keep on 'snapping' Dizzy, but take more water with it when next you snap the poor Thrush, or he/she'll be getting a complex!!!LOL. :'D
All the Best Dizzy,

Judo said:
Hi Dizzy,
Lovely mix of birds there in a lovely set of photos. Nice to see the Greenfinches, still missing mine since the Trich. decimated 'em.
Errrmm :h?: am I missing some posts here?? or am I going barmy?? The Bill/Matt/Ruth ones have me in a tizz! as they don't seem to all be here or...are they...??
and I don't even drink!! so I haven't even got that excuse!!! Oh well....I'll put it down to me age!!
Anyway as I was saying....lovely lot of birds Dizzy. I've never seen a Blackbird on a feeder before....the clever thing!!
Keep on 'snapping' Dizzy, but take more water with it when next you snap the poor Thrush, or he/she'll be getting a complex!!!LOL. :'D
All the Best Dizzy,

It's OK Judo,I just deleted my errorneous identification post of dizzys Blackcap!

Must try harder-slaps back of hand ;)

Matt

Hi Dizzy,

What I find with feeders is that if they have a dish underneath then I do get the larger birds (Blackbird, Doves, Jackdaws) using them, whereas they find it more difficult to stand on just a small perch. Even so Jackdaws will sometimes do it on multi-port feeders where they can stand on a low perch and peck into a higher one by reaching around. I don't think that you can generalise about birds and feeders anyway, except for specific types of foods. For instance Greenfinches prefer to use a feeder but they will also feed on the ground under a feeder in use, and Chaffinches vice versa.

Bill.

bill moss said:
Hi Dizzy,

What I find with feeders is that if they have a dish underneath then I do get the larger birds (Blackbird, Doves, Jackdaws) using them, whereas they find it more difficult to stand on just a small perch. Even so Jackdaws will sometimes do it on multi-port feeders where they can stand on a low perch and peck into a higher one by reaching around. I don't think that you can generalise about birds and feeders anyway, except for specific types of foods. For instance Greenfinches prefer to use a feeder but they will also feed on the ground under a feeder in use, and Chaffinches vice versa.

Bill.

You're spot on Bill ~ I put up a feeder with a dish to save on spillage but I found since doing that, that I'm getting the likes of collared doves on them, and of course, its now even easier for the Starlings to get on them. I thought about taking it off but the starlings seem to be able to contort themselves into all sorts of positions to stay on even the smaller feeders, so I gave up and just left it on. I dont know why this particular blackbird likes to go on the feeder ~ I put sunflower hearts down on the ground feeder for them, along with insect suet pellets, mealworms, scones, sultanas and cheese, so they're not exactly neglected ;) lol. Who knows!
Judo....poor thing..lol..I'll try to get a better one of him next time ~ before the wine! ;) If I manage to catch him ~ he proves to be very elusive ~ I think he just shows himself now and again as if to say "I'm still here ~ keep throwing the grapes" ;) Here is another pic of the blackbird sharing quite happily with the dove.

Best wishes

Attachments

• 000_8863.JPG
    000_8863.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 24
bill moss said:
Hi Matt,

Well spotted, you can see the different shape of the 'cap' too.

Still a nice bird to have on your feeder. I don't have any personal experience but would have thought that Blackcaps on feeders would be very rare. Sue?

Bill.

Hi Dizzy,

Some lovely photos there and the one of the 2 Blue Tits in post No 8 is a really beautiful shot, one you should be truly proud of!!! I see you still have your Blackcap then, wonderful!

Hi Bill In the norm we don't get Blackcaps on the feeders very often, but we have had a female round in the back garden 3 years ago and she ate nothing but Sunflower Hearts from the feeder - whilst Mr stuck to the Crab Apples round front.

We have had both on the Bird table one year, we had scattered sunflower hearts on the 'floor' of it (with the roof above) and both were feeding there quite happily. I think it's a case of if they're safe where they are and they like the food, then they'll get it from anywhere.

Good luck for him continuing on Dizzy!

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back