• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (4 Viewers)

It was a nice afternoon till the haar came in. A Chiffchaff was along Abbey Road and three Goosander were in the harbour. A smart White Wagtail was near the Battery. Then it got gloomy. Five Red-breasted Mergansers could just about be made out in Nigg Bay. In the St Fittick's area there are now three singing Willow Warblers as well as a Chiffchaff and a Grey Wagtail. The only Swallow was along Victoria Road. Before the sun disappeared there seemed to be dozens of Small Tortoiseshells around - the most I've seen here for a long time.

I've not seen any of the rare stuff that Mark and others have seen over recent days but I did still have my best day at Girdle Ness of the year today. I spent over eight hours in the field and managed a muscular 71 species (my previous highest this year was 49!).

The best bird was probably a Grasshopper Warbler, which sang briefly on the south side before showing quite well low in the gorse. Only my second ever at the Ness. A Lesser Whitethroat was also singing nearby and another was in the allotments. My first Sedge Warbler of the year was also singing on the south side. Other migrants included six Blackcaps (five of them in one tree on the north bank), two Chiffchaffs (one by the railway and one on Abbey Road), six Willow Warblers and two White Wagtails. Wheatears seem to have been scarce so far this spring but they were all over the shop this morning, with at least 25 counted. On a quick look round late in the afternoon I didn't see any though, so they seem to have been moving through quickly. Another very pleasing sight was a male Stonechat at St Fittick's - my first here for a number of years. I guess it could be the same bird that Mark had a few weeks ago. A singing Yellowhammer on the south side was also a surprise - I don't think I've ever had one singing here.

There was quite a good northwards movement of birds offshore throughout the day. Four Bonxies were at the vanguard, and an Arctic Skua was seen getting right up a couple of Sandwich Terns. A group of nine Arctic Terns also went north. Other stuff moving included a Bar-tailed Godwit, five Whimbrel and a male Tufted Duck. Both on the move and on the water were 34 Red-throated Divers, 78 Common Scoter and 22 Long-tailed Duck. A fairly big surprise were four Greylag Geese, which seem to fly from the direction of the new pools - another less than annual species here.

It has been a really productive weekend. On friday night I had a cracking breeding plumage slavonian grebe in Nigg bay, and earlier on on friday there had been a few migrants about, inc. a fieldfare.

Saturday looked very promising from the moment I stepped out. Four birds that flew over the battery turned out to be the most unlikely goose flock - 2 greylags, a pinkfoot, and a barnacle goose! A few blackcaps and lesser whitethroats were along the north bank, but it was at the battery that things turned up a notch -a Richards pipit calling loudly as it flew around the battery in the fog!

It was impossible to pin down on the ground, but I had it in flight three times and heard it call at least ten times. On hearing it first my immediate thought was richards - but the time of year really suits tawny better, so I was careful to eliminate that species as I was concerned I wouldn't actually get very much detail on the bird. With the benefit of playing calls from my phone and through Xeno-Canto of both spp between encounters, I was able to satisfy myself that it was indeed a richards, and not a tawny, which is a shame as tawny pipit would have been a nice finds tick!

I certainly didn't score the variety that Andrew did on Sunday, but my day list for that day was 59 spp - not bad considering I didn't do any seawatching! The black redstart had reappeared at the allotments, and a 2cy Iceland gull was in the harbour. I didn't get any of the real girdle glamour that Andrew had, but there were still a few lesser whitethroats and blackcaps around in the evening, and I picked up the sedge warbler that Andrew had, and a house martin.

And this morning, there was a lesser whitethroat singing in the scrub along Abbey rd.

Still a few bits and bobs around today - lesser whitethroats singing in the allotments and also on Abbey rd. several blackcap about the place, and best of all, a beautiful male redstart on the north bank at lunchtime.

Still migrants coming in - common whitethroat along the north bank, tree pipit at the battery (a bit of a rare here - for some reason we just don't seem to get them on migration...) and a cracking whinchat at the allotments.

Less glamour today - but still plenty of blackcaps around, and a noticeable increase in willow warbler. Also a new sedge warbler.

Best bird was a yellowhammer singing through the murk on the south bank this morning. Probably the same bird that Andrew had over the weekend.

Still some lingering blackcaps along the north bank and presumably the same whinchat as the other day, at the east end of the allotments.

Not many migrants when I went out late afternoon, although there were eight Wheatears and six White Wagtails scattered around. A dark-phase Arctic Skua went north and two Whimbrel were on the beach in Nigg Bay for a short time before continuing in the same direction. Also nine Long-tailed Ducks and thirteen Red-throated Divers. The Yellowhammer on the south bank sings on.

Had an early morning walk round "The Ness",starting off at the Bay of Nigg,which held two pairs of Ringed Plover,which suggests possible breeding taking place.Quite a lot of mixed Terns fishing the Bay and 2 Little Terns flew north,which was nice to see.

A Shag with his crest up,was on the Sewage Pier at the Coo and a large congregation of Terns were on the rocks at Greyhope Bay.Quite a bit of Dolphin activity between the north and south Piers and a female Wheatear In the Plotties (or Allotments,for non Torry residents).Finally,a female Long tailed Duck was with a party of Eiders opposite the Plotties.

Swifts are back - two over Torry this evening!

Even more exciting though - we have access to our new wetland in Nigg bay. Until the vegetation grows back, it has real potential for some decent spring passage waders. I guess early mornings will be necessary before people get in there and scare things away.

I saw at least four Swifts yesterday but didn't see any today. Also yesterday I had a Collared Dove in the garden.

Today I took a stroll round in the late afternoon sun and showers. Not too much in the way of migrants, asides from four Wheatears. My first House Martin of the year was near the allotments. A Whimbrel was on the north shore and a Goosander was nearby. Several Common Terns and one Arctic Tern were fishing out to sea. Two Arctic Skuas drifted north and a winter plumage Great Northern Diver was a few hundred metres off the Coo. 15 Red-throated Divers were in Nigg Bay and there were also seven Long-tailed Ducks and a Red-breasted Merganser. At St Fittick's were two Whitethroats and a Reed Bunting.

I took quite a few pictures today, which I'm sure you're all excited about.
1. Willow Warbler on Abbey Road
2. Whitethroat near the water works
3. Starling in 'the tree' stocking up on flies
4. A very skanky (and maybe not in a good way) Wheatear on the north shore
5. Whimbrel on the north shore

Attachments

• Willow Warbler_Torry_090514a.jpg
    Willow Warbler_Torry_090514a.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Whitethroat_St Fitticks_090514a.jpg
    Whitethroat_St Fitticks_090514a.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Starling_Girdle Ness_090514a.jpg
    Starling_Girdle Ness_090514a.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Wheatear_Girdle Ness_090514a.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_090514a.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_090514a.jpg
    Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_090514a.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 69
I'm not done yet.

1. Grey Heron in Nigg Bay
2. Colour-ringed Herring Gull at the new pools

I'll let you know the details of the Herring Gull when I get them. These yellow colour-ringed ones are quite a common sight around Aberdeen, after substantial ringing efforts.

It'll be interesting to see what the pools bring in. I suspect they might be better in the autumn when they've got a bit more living in them - we'll see though. They look a bit 'rare' anyway.

Attachments

• Grey Heron_Girdle Ness_090514a.jpg
    Grey Heron_Girdle Ness_090514a.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Herring Gull_St Fitticks_090514a.jpg
    Herring Gull_St Fitticks_090514a.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 51
A good selection of birds were around today but there wasn't anything too unusual. Lots of warblers were singing: two Chiffchaffs, six Willow Warblers, a Blackcap, two Sedge Warblers, four Whitethroats. 17 Red-throated Divers were still around, mostly on Nigg Bay. There were also still four Long-tailed Ducks and 21 Purple Sandpipers. There were good numbers of Arctic and particularly Common Terns. A Dunlin was on Greyhope Bay and a Common Sandpiper near the harbour.

The Yellowhammer continues on the south side of the golf course. A disturbing sight there were the remains of a Gannet just outside the fox den.

Fairly quiet around the Ness this morning. The highlight, by some distance, were a pair of Shelduck which flew past offshore. Otherwise there were 28 Common Scoter, one Long-tailed Duck and two Goosander. Singing warblers were numerous, including Whitethroat and Blackcap on Abbey Road and five Sedge Warblers. A Yellowhammer was singing by the water works - maybe the same bird that's been at the golf course recently.

A pleasant late afternoon stroll wasn't all that productive, although I did manage a couple of new species for the year. The first of these was Manx Shearwater, with a group of five heading north. The second were two Lapwings cavorting over Tullos Hill - I guess they might have been up there all spring but that's the first time I've noticed them. Not too much else aside from a couple of Wheatears.

I did take some pictures though, which I'm sure will delight many of you.

1. Small White
2. Female Linnet
3. Male Linnet, fully accessorized
4. Meadow Pipit

Attachments

• Small White_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    Small White_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Linnet_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    Linnet_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Linnet_Girdle Ness_190514b.jpg
    Linnet_Girdle Ness_190514b.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 60
  • Meadow Pipit_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    Meadow Pipit_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 180
Oh and some flight shots - you'll love these.

1. Kittiwake and Sandwich Tern
2. Fulmar
3. Great Black-backed Gull
4. Herring Gull

Attachments

• Kittiwake_Sandwich Tern_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    Kittiwake_Sandwich Tern_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Fulmar_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    Fulmar_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 41
  • GBB Gull_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    GBB Gull_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_190514a.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 115
A quick amble early evening produced one new bird for the year: a Sanderling on Greyhope Bay. An Arctic Skua was thoroughgoing in its attention towards one of many Sandwich Terns. There were still three Long-tailed Ducks in Nigg Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back