• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Trinovids (1 Viewer)

chiffchaff123

Hello,
I purchased a pair of 8x42 Trinovids,18 months ago, at a cost of £1000. The ones I see for sale now are priced at £750.
I have noticed that they are slightly different; they don't have the double centre focus wheel, like mine. My questions are :-
Are the ones I purchased a limited edition?
Or, were/are there any problems with the pair that I have bought?
I'm just curious.
Thanks,
Anthony.

Hi Anthony, Leica recently launched the Trinovid Hd, which is the model you've noticed, they are a completely new design, whereas yours was a sort of cut price Ultravid, theres been no issues with your model which is a very fine binocular, I tried the new cheaper model a few weeks back, I was'nt overly impressed, it feels lower quality than yours although the optics are OK, personally I prefer your model.

The cost cutting on the new version over the 2012-2015 model, must in part, come from Japanese sourced parts and the simpler diopter construction.
I have the 2015 10x42 Trinovid which may be the last of the old school mid-price Leica. Mine feels very well made.
I noticed there were still some NOS for sale at one of the American dealers for only $889.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back