• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All things White-tailed Eagle (1 Viewer)

deborah4 said:
I have found some relevant material but you may be able to follow through on some of the Ornithologists referenced:

''In the UK the golden eagle and white-tailed eagle live in mutually exclusive home-ranges, unlike in Norway, where the two species can readily coexist. The diets of the two species are very similar in the UK, and there is prominent competition for food between the species. http://www.arlelodge.co.uk/backpacking-mull.html

I would question the accuracy of this report - this is part of their advertising for holiday accommodation and though broadly similar to that quoted from the BB article (and I presume taken from it), I would still question how similar they are. Though the diets of both species will vary to a degree and I don't doubt occasionally overlap, particularly in the area of carrion, I don't think in general it could be said the two have very similar diets. White-tailed Eagles, whilst a generalist on occasion, are going to be taking mostly waterfowl, seabirds and fish, both live and as carrion. Any data on this Chris? Golden Eagles, on the other hand should be taking much greater proportions of mammals, particularly hares, rabbits, etc, plus terrestrial birds such as grouse. From the limited reading I have done with regard the populations in Scotland, other than an increased shared interest in carrion, I have seen little (other than the BB article) to suggest the situation is different there.

My thoughts on this the reintroductions would be to not have serious concerns - given both are quite happy to nest on the ground (cliffs) and given they both co-existed until man dictated otherwise, I do not see reason to fear future problems. Coupled with this, observations from other parts of their range, where they do co-exist, does not leave me with worries with this aspect.

Edit.

Last edited:
Hi Chris (again!)

As an addendum to the above: I've highlighted a few sentences from the Birds article you quoted which caused me to do further reading re: Scottish conditions specifically. I also meant to mention that from background reading into the debate to argue for a 'licensed cull' for raptors that farmers now have an active policy of removing all domestic carcasses from their land immediately to discourage attracting large birds of prey thus another source of food depleted - I can't find the link now but would you know anything about that?

''The diets of Golden Eagles and re-established White-tailed Eagles in Scotland appear to be very similar, largely through the reliance of both species on sheep and deer carrion, whereas, in Norway, these two eagles rely far less on carrion and differ greatly in their diets. Although Golden Eagles are wholly dominant in direct competition, White-tailed Eagles are nevertheless able to outcompete them through having a wider spectrum of available prey. Increased competition and resulting competitive exclusion in western Scotland appear to be a consequence of long-term environmental degradation of the region through deforestation and overgrazing.''

Many thanks for your help - I'll get in touch via email

D

Competition/dominance issues between White-tailed Eagles and Golden Eagles

A reply from Markus Jais:

"Dear Chris

I too have been interested in the interaction of Europes two biggest eagles.

Last June I was on Mull where there are currently 4 pairs (2006) of Sea Eagles and as far as I know the hightest Golden Eagle density in the UK.

I participated in a tour at some lake (loch, don't know the name right
now) where the RSPB is showing the Sea Eagles to birders. they told me that sometimes the Golden Eagles fly over the Sea Eagle nest and there have been a few fights. but as far as I can recall they said that until now they had not noticed any displacements of Golden Eagles.

There is a publication that might be of interest to you. it was published in the Sea Eagle 2000 book. Look here: http://www.snf.se/snf/english/seaeagle.htm

There is an article called "A comparison of the diet of White-Tailed Eagles and Golden Eagles breeding in adjacent ranges in west Scotland" by Mike Madders(mike'at'circus.u-net.com) and Mick Marquiss (mmar'at'ceh.ac.uk).

they may also have more information on this. you could probably also ask Roy Dennis. http://www.roydennis.org

Also check out the book "Island Eagles" by Ken Grane and Kate Nellist. they also have some notes on this topic.

I think that in some places there might be competition over breeding places where these are scarce (like old trees).

In winter they may fight over carcasses. see some pictures here: http://miguel-lasa.smugmug.com/gallery/378321#36916604

Their diet overlaps, but Golden Eagles normally do not take fish (if
ever) and they seem to be more agile.

For example, I know of reports of Golden Eagles killing Cormorants in midair. I am not sure if Sea Eagles are capable of this. Maybe, but probably Golden Eagles have an advantage here.

but this is not the most common prey in most areas. depending on the location their might be competition, especially in winter when feeding on dead animals.

Golden Eagles take more mammals and birds like crow.

Golden Eagles also are not bound to water and often breed away from any huge lakes or rivers and also higher in the mountains.

I think for the UK (and also other places in Europe) competition between those two eagles will not be a problem for conservation or the range expansion of either one of the species.

there is definitely room enough for both Golden and Sea Eagles in the UK, if enough habitat is preserved and kept free of too much disturbance.

I hope I could help you.

best wishes

Markus"

Re: RFI: Competition/dominance issues between White-tailed Eagles and Golden Eagles

Alv Ottar Folkestad from Norway wrote:

Dear Chris Monk,

And thank you for your e-mail. Much has been said and much more have been thought about competition between WTE and GE, much of which is pure nonsense to my opinion. Apparently there may be a dominance by juvenile GE on carcasses during wintertime, meeting with WTEs and even older GE. I have been operating a feeding station for eagles for 15 years. Annual numbers of identified idividual birds have been minimum 120 ind of WTE and absolute minimum 60-70 GE. Even though GE juveniles usually are going straight on to the carcass, wiping away eagles sitting on beforehand, and exposing extreme aggressivity afterwards, it a very good reason to question whether this is true dominance. To my opinion I think it is more a question of motivation and alternative food sources.

The breeding/territorial birds is quite in another situations. Even though food analysis from nests and pellets show a great overlap in food, the way of getting the food is quite different. The GE is much more an active hunter, whilst the WTE to a great extent is a scavanger, taking left over from others, being a cleptoparasite, and picking up even small, dead animals and birds. The totally dominating food in the WTE, however, is fish
- even then to a great extent scavanged or left overs. Most food studies on the WTE show a proportion of fish in the diet up to 80-90%. So it is no reason even to think of very much competition between WTE and GE in the food situation. For instance it is quite common to witness WTE waiting for left overs from the GE's prey. In my study area, like most of the breeding range for the WTE in Norway, there is more or less full overlap with the GE, and we have a number of situations where the WTE has expanded into the areas and territories of the GE without any marked reaction from the other species, and even the other way round.

So the nesting sites: In our area the WTE is predominantly a tree breeder, wherever trees are available, and nests have been found in most different tree species, coniferous of broadleaved. If not, they are using cliff ledges, crags and even flat ground. So the availability of nesting sites is hardly the limiting factor, but defintely so on the reproductive output. In our region the GE on the other hand is almost exclusively a true cliff breeder, using mostly dry and very sheltered ledges of a type that the WTE is using only occasionally. The two species are using mostly different level of the terrain, the WTE nesting mostly at lower level, searching food at sea level. The GE is nesting on the second floor, going for food in the moors and the alpine areas above. So in Norway they are sharing the terrain even for nesting sites. But not always, and what I have found is that the species are far more tolerant interspecific than intraspecific. The shortest distance I have found myself between active nests of WTE and GE was 134 m, both nest with a feathered chick, and the nests being cliffnest on each side of a gully. And I myself have found a number of occasions where the two species have nested successfully at a distance of 2-400 m apart. The shortest distance between two WTE's nests have been 262 m, both with chicks. In the GE the distance have always been considerably longer (some kilometres). Look e.g. at the island of Mull, with 30 territorial pairs of GE and 8 to 9 breeding pairs of WTE.

My conclusion is that there normally is hardly any competition between the two species, even in regions with very dense populations. May be that the WTE now and then is chasing away GE passing by their nesting area if the species is not a resident, and even the opposite, but the main picture is that the two species are sharing the resources mostly in a peaceful and noncompetitive way.

Kind regards from
Alv Ottar Folkestad

deborah4 said:
farmers now have an active policy of removing all domestic carcasses from their land immediately to discourage attracting large birds of prey
D

I believe that farmers are legally obliged to remove carcases as a result of EEC regulation. I think there is a £2000 for non-compliance. The good news is that it is probably unenforceable in remote areas.

Pete

RFI: Thirteen White-tailed Eagles seen in Sichuan, China

Dear All,

Can anyone please help with details of past records of White-tailed Eagles in China and if 13 is indeed a 'record' as Wu Jiawei speculates below?

Best regards,
Chris Monk

Dear Wu Jiawei,

Many thanks for your report of the 13 White-tailed Eagles in Sichuan, China. I have not heard of such numbers myself from China, but I do not consider myself any kind of expert on the birds of China.

Please send me any news of this species in China.

Best regards,
Chris

>>> wujiawei1128'at'yahoo.com.cn 21/03/2007 09:07:16 >>>wrote:

Hello,Monk,
I saw there are more than 13 White-tailed Sea Eagles Haliaeetus albicilla in Flower-Lake at Ruoergai marshs,Sichuan,China,closed to Ruoergai city.include 1 juvenal and 8 in a group,catch fishs in a world of ice and snow.13,yes,is it a big number record?
see(im the Rana):
http://www.cnbirder.com/reportview.asp?id=9593

best regards!

Wu Jiawei

Good news! White-tailed Eagle Project already part of Ireland's tourist trail

White-tailed Eagle mention*

See here for full article and map etc:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/features/daily-features/article2385166.ece

The Belfast Telegraph

Walk of the Week: Old Kenmare Road
Muckross House to Gowlane Cross

Friday, March 23, 2007

A mere one hour's flight from Belfast lies one of Ireland's most renowned wilderness areas. Killarney National Park is home to rushing rivers, twisted ancient oakwoods and mountain after mountain - culminating in Ireland's highest peak, Carrantuohill, in the heart of Macgillicuddy's Reeks.

Encompassing the Killarney Lakes and the Gap of Dunloe, it was one of the first national parks to be designated in Ireland and is one of only two Biosphere Reserves on the island.

While the area lures mountaineers and mountain bikers who like a challenge, this walk takes you along a marked route using the Old Kenmare Road, a disused green road. The 12-mile route will require a reasonable level of fitness, good hiking equipment and waterproofs.

Directions

With most walks in the National Park, it's as well to be accompanied by a guide or at least well prepared with maps and compasses - it's very easy to stray a long way off the beaten track.

Our walk, organised by Walk Killarney, began from the car park at Muckross House, with easy paths along the shore of Muckross Lake. Signs directed us towards the Kerry Way and Torc Waterfall.

We climbed steep steps up the side of a waterfall, continuing through woodlands until we reached Torc Old Bridge.

From here, we followed the Kerry Way signs to the left, which brought us onto open heath land at Crinnagh Glen and continued into Esknamucky Glen between the shoulder of Cromaglan Mountain and Stumpacommeen. Here, the road narrows into a bridle path over mountain and bog, reinforced with railway sleepers.

The walk then descended through the twisted, mossy oakwoods of Ullauns Wood, famed for their lichens and mosses and home to the elusive pine marten.

Turn left at the T-junction, following the Kerry Way signs along another stretch of rocky road.

The next stretch was a sustained ascent, muddy and rocky at times, until we reached a height of 331 metres at the Windy Gap between Peakeen Mountain and Knockanaguish.

We then descended past conifer woodland and reached Gowlane Cross, where the road opens to traffic. Continuing along the tarmac road brings you into Kenmare.

What to bring

As a general rule, it is best to be over-prepared than under-prepared. Waterproof and windproof clothing are essential and strong walking boots are also advised. Walkers should carry enough food and water for the walk and for emergencies as well as a first aid kit. You are also advised to inform someone of your intended route before you leave.

The backdrop

The Kerry Way was created more than 20 years ago: a 135-mile, low-level, waymarked walking route over old droving paths and coach roads, taking in woodlands, valleys and coastline.

The Old Kenmare Road is the first section of the Way and takes in the formal gardens of Muckross House as well as the mountains and sessile oakwoods of Killarney National Park.

The start lies on the geological fault line known as the Millstreet to Muckross fault.

The sprawling mansion of Muckross House was designed by the Scottish architect William Burn and completed in 1843, the fourth house occupied by successive generations of the Herbert family for over 200 years.

In the 18th century, Killarney become something of a tourist mecca, attracting famous names. Poets Tennyson and Wordsworth were drawn by the romance of the landscape and writers Sir Walter Scott and Jane Austen eulogised about their visits.

During the 1850s, the Herbert family undertook extensive garden works in preparation for Queen Victoria's visit in 1861. An avenue of trees was planted along the Queen's Road years before her royal visit.

The footpath that leads up the side of the 60-foot Torc waterfall - home of the rare Killarney fern - takes in magnificent views of the Killarney lakes.

In Crinnagh Glen, the furrows and stone walls of a pre-famine village provide a stark reminder of harsher times. Stones had been gathered up and left in piles, clearing the land for cultivating the potato crop - the shape of the ridges indicates the last crop never left the ground. Some 262 people were recorded living in the glen in 1841, but by 1861 not a soul remained.

The highest point of the route is at Windy Gap, between the mountains of Peakeen and Knockanaguish, 330 metres above sea level, followed by a descent that will command stunning views of Kenmare Bay and the highlands and islands beyond.

Crinnagh Glen is the haunt of the only purebred herd of Irish red deer in the country. The herd now numbers more than 650 - descended from red deer that brought to Ireland some 4,000 years ago.

Sharp-eyed walkers may spot peregrine falcon or merlin, and the area is known as the home of the bank vole, which was first identified in north Kerry in 1964 and has now expanded into the National Park.

*This summer sees the start of a major project to reintroduce the white-tailed eagle to the glens with the release of 15 chicks from Norway.

Walk Killarney is running a series of group walks marking public holidays - the next are the challenging Paps of Danu walk on Easter Saturday, the difficult Tower to Torc route on the Sunday and a half-day loop walk through Muckross Peninsula and Dinis Island on Easter Monday. Details are available at www.killarney.ie.

Alternatively, there are walking weekends run by the Brehon Hotel in Killarney town - which provided a welcome haven at the end of a rainy day's hiking with its foaming baths and luxurious spa facilities. The hotel can fit in with Walk Killarney's schedule or arrange for guests to do their own walks with a personal guide. Two nights' B&B and one dinner are included in the 199 euro price.

Fact File
Walk Name: Old Kenmare Road

Area: Killarney National Park

Nearest Town: Killarney or Kenmare

Distance: 12 miles. Many shorter routes available in the area

Terrain: Old green roads which can be very muddy and rocky and bog laid with sleepers

Refreshments: Tea rooms at Muckross House. Lots of restaurants and bars in Kenmare

Publications: Kerry Walks by Kevin Corcoran; various walking guides available at tourist offices. Website at www.killarney.ie

Ordnance Survey Map: Ordnance Survey Ireland Discovery Series 78, Sraith Eolais, Kerry

Walk Developed By: Part of the Kerry Way

Chris, Could you repost these links? I can't get them to work (very possibly my incompetence!). This is exciting news. I moved from Northern Ireland to Canada 20 years ago and still get a thrill seeing Bald Eagles and Ospreys iin the wild. To have the White Tailed Sea Eagle re-established around the British Isles would be incredible. Tom

White-tailed Eagle nest cam in Holland

http://www.staatsbosbeheer.nl/actueel/zeearend/default.asp?id={8301F776-F5D0-46A9-8432-99B08D34A3AC}

I would very much to have a White Tailed Eagles "song" as a RINGTONE. Does anyone have a MP3 clip from White Tailed Eagle?[/QUOTE]

Chris, I've got an MP3 clip and you are very welcome to it, just not sure how to get it to you. Thanks for some brilliantly put together posts on raptors.

All the very best.

Mick Baron

Ravens attmept to steal Dutch White-tailed Eagle eggs

http://dearkitty.blogsome.com/2007/04/07/ravens-try-to-steal-dutch-white-tailed-eagle-eggs/

From Staatsbosbeheer in The Netherlands:

6 April 2007

This week, the white-tailed eagle nest in Oostvaardersplassen (Flevoland province) was left alone for a while.

At first, the female flew away from the nest; then, the male as well.

Immediately, a raven appeared near the nest, and a bit later a second raven.

Ravens love to eat eggs and tried to use the eagle parents’ absence.

They failed, as the female eagle came back to the nest soon.

Then, both ravens flew away. However, the white-tailed eagle looked anxious sitting on the nest for a long time.

Ever since early March, what goes on around the eagle nest in Oostvaardersplassen can be seen through a webcam.

The male and the female change positions on the egg.

Breeding takes 40 days.

White-tailed eagles have one to three eggs; however, it is stil not clear how many are in this nest.

Both white-tailed eagles and ravens have been extinct in The Netherlands.

The raven became extinct early in the twentieth century, and was re-introduced later in that century.

The white-tailed eagle had been extinct for many centuries longer; and had its first nest, at Oostvaardersplassen, last year.

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://dearkitty.blogsome.com/2007/...teal-dutch-white-tailed-eagle-eggs/trackback/

Success! Dutch White-tailed Eagles Hatch Again

Success! Dutch White-tailed Eagles Hatch Again

Posted by Amy on Tuesday, April 17th, 2007 at 12:30 pm CET in Netherlands:
http://www.magnificentfrigatebird.c...es-hatch-again/

On Sunday rangers at the state-run nature area Oostvaardersplassen discovered that the White-tailed Eagle couple has successfully hatched at least one chick for the second year in a row.

The hatching comes just days after the webcam pointed at the camera lost connection. Rangers observing the nest over the weekend were, by a stroke of luck, able to see the head of a chick sticking out from the nest to confirm the hatching. The chick has made its appearance about a week earlier than expected.

The eagle parents successfully fledged one chick last year; that young bird is now summering in the Oostvaardersplassen, but is not welcome at its former birth place.

The camera, used by visitors to the natural area and online visitors, as well as raptor researchers, became unavailable on Friday the 13th. Rangers believe the lens is obscured by a snail or a leaf, but they will not risk disturbing the birds in order to investigate. Rangers may be able to get a look at the camera in the coming weeks, but making a visit to the camera will be impossible until much later in the year, when the baby chick(s) has fledged and the parents have temporarily abandoned the nest. The webcam was visited by up to 25,000 internet visitors per day.

Source: Jonge zeearend geboren in Oostvaardersplassen

Call for farmer eagle compensation (Ireland)

20 April 2007

Call for farmer eagle compensation

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishe...business-qqqa=business-qqqid=30852-qqqx=1.asp

IFA Hill Farming Committee chairman Neilie O’Leary has called on Environment Minister Dick Roche to draw up a compensation scheme for farmers suffering losses as a result of the introduction of the white-tailed sea eagle in South Kerry.

Mr O’Leary said the introduction of the sea eagle is being portrayed as a flagship environmental project by the Government without any discussion on the consequences that it will have on the livelihood of farmers.

He claimed the National Park and Wildlife service is playing down the damaging effect the eagle will have on the sheep population. However, experience from Scotland where it was introduced on the Isle of Mull has proven otherwise.

Sea eagle set for return to east coast (Scotland)

Sea eagle set for return to east coast

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/...ry9592823t0.asp

SEA EAGLES could be soaring over the sands of Buddon, the cliffs of Arbroath, Fife Ness and the Isle of May later this summer.

Plans to reintroduce the white-tailed or sea eagle are in the final stages, and it’s hoped 20 young birds will be flown in from Norway in early summer if final discussions between the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, Scottish Natural Heritage and the Scottish Executive are successful and a licence is granted.

The unfledged birds, taken from nests in Norway where there are reckoned to be over 500 pairs, will be housed at a secret location until they can fly and fend for themselves, when they will be released.

This technique has proved highly successful on the west coast, and in the reintroduction of red kites elsewhere,

An RSPB spokesman said the release spot would be in the area of the Forth and Tay estuaries.

From there the young birds would spread out naturally, seeking in a few years time to establish breeding territories and building their large nests on trees or cliff ledges.

Over the next five years the plan is for a further 20 birds each year to be brought in to try to establish a sustainable population on the east coast.

A similar reintroduction on the west coast, started in 1970, has been an outstanding success, and has seen the population build steadily, to the stage where no more birds are being introduced and there are now around 33 breeding pairs on the mainland and islands.

The birds, with an eight-foot wing span, slightly larger than the golden eagle, have proved a popular tourist attraction, with tens of thousands of people visiting a wildlife centre on Mull each year to see CCTV pictures of the adults rearing young on a nest there.

When the first sea eagles were introduced fears were expressed by crofters that they would kill lambs, and a compensation scheme was set up.

However, this did not happen to any great extent and in areas like Mull it is now accepted that the eco-tourism benefit to the community from sea eagles far outweighs any economic loss caused to farmers.

The birds eat mainly fish and carrion but are known to take eider ducks and gannets, both plentiful along the coast

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back