• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrike, NW Pakistan (1 Viewer)

that does not occur in pakistan according to my book, wich has some ery poor drawings of birds!

unless the long-tailed shrike is known as bay-backed l. vittatus?

that does not occur in pakistan according to my book, wich has some ery poor drawings of birds!

Long Tailed & Bay Backed are seperate species. I'm sorry i don't have any info on the range of Long Tailed. Cheers, P.

Take a look at this checklist for Pakistan. You can change the view depending on which taxonomic authority you prefer.

Niels

long-tailed and rufous are one by the looks of it? i have seen rufous.

some birds which occur in iran do not necessarily occur in pakistan and vice-versa.

this was in the far north-western corner in the hindu kush, next to afghanistan.

According to a birder in China, the Long-Tailed Shrike occurs there, so probably in Pakistan also.

Here's a picture. Looks like a pretty good match.

Attachments

• Long-tailed Shrike.JPG
    Long-tailed Shrike.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 48
When I was in Pakistan (1995) we saw birds just like this; the fieldguide we were using called them "long-tailed shrike", I don't know if there have been more recent name/taxanomic changes.

i have a newer book titled "a field guide to the birds of pakistan" by z. b. mirza

are rufous-backed and long-tailed shrikes different species?

Avibase lists three different Lanius species as Long-tailed Shrike, in addition to species from other genera. Perhaps it is time for someone to clarify by use of scientific name which LTS that has been meant (without knowing anything about the birds of Pakistan, I am guessing Lanius schach).

Niels

The OP shows what is generally acknowledged to be called Long-tailed Shrike - Lanius schach which at present comprises several different subspecific groupings, ie Rufous-backed, Black-headed, etc

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back