• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID: Katmai NP Alaska (1 Viewer)

Westmidstraveller

Fledgling Birder
Took these two shots in early September last year.

It was hunting in the grasslands around the Brooks Falls area of Katmai National Park.

Thank you for any help you can give.. not good quality shots I'm afraid.

Cheers

Liz

Attachments

• ID-Katmai-1.jpg
    ID-Katmai-1.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 139
  • ID-Katmai-2.jpg
    ID-Katmai-2.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 95
Could be. But it also looks like a subadult female (fresh plumage) [Sep.] shown in plate 143, page 157 of Wheeler's RAPTORS of Western North America and that is the photo most similar to pic 1 above.
Bob

Look Wheeler's is a great guide, but when you apply it like this it doesn't serve its purpose. I'll be the first to admit, I'm far from any kind of expert on harrier aging, but from what I've read on BNA Online, I for one can't rule out juv, basic I male, or basic I female (what you're calling sub-adult) based on notable fieldmarks.

Here's female basic I from BNA Online:
Female. Differs from Definitive Basic plumage (see below) in being darker with fewer conspicuous tawny streaks on head, less tawny overall on upperwing-coverts, and less gray on primaries. Secondaries and associated underwing-coverts form an especially dark patch on the underside of each wing.

Comparing this description with what I see in these photos, I see more tawny upperwing coverts and more gray on primaries. Not saying it's not one, just saying that IMO, trying to narrow down aging based on a guide's one photo of one individual isn't the way to approach raptor ID.

upperwing coverts and underparts are clearly rusty toned plus trailing edge to wings has conspicous pale fringes (seen also at the edges of greater coverts), which generally is typical for juvenile plumage in raptors.

"I was too busy taking pictures of bears"

Too busy taking photos of bears to get a good one of a Northern harrier! Life just isn't fair sometimes. Very jealous.

"I was too busy taking pictures of bears"

Too busy taking photos of bears to get a good one of a Northern harrier! Life just isn't fair sometimes. Very jealous.

I have only really got into bird watching, bird photography and putting a 'list' together recently. If I was there now it would have the same priority as a bear! Shame we can't go back in time, I'd have way more birds on my list! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back