• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Bins! (1 Viewer)

KenM

With golden boot and hand winners being much in the news of late, perhaps there might be some mileage in a tongue in cheek "Golden Bins"award?

Unsure of how it might be measured though, biggest list of species encountered during the year/month/day?...biggest number of finds?....rarest find? (local or national). Clearly there could be many categories even the "Wooden Bins" award for the the worst string, perhaps the potential categories are to numerous to mention....might help to liven up a grey Winters day...when there's bugger all about....dunno...any thoughts?

Sounds fun but the Wooden Bins award would be pretty funny.

For example, I was walking along the Mersey in Stockport with my daughter's dog on Saturday and (without bins) I saw a distant Little Egret. Common enough, but an exceptional rarity around here.

I reached for my phone to contact RBA but decided to get closer first.
Lucky I did, it was a Tesco carrier bag stuck in a bank side bush - a lucky escape and avoided a potential egg-on-face moment and a 100% chance of the Wooden Bins award

Sounds fun but the Wooden Bins award would be pretty funny.

For example, I was walking along the Mersey in Stockport with my daughter's dog on Saturday and (without bins) I saw a distant Little Egret. Common enough, but an exceptional rarity around here.

I reached for my phone to contact RBA but decided to get closer first.
Lucky I did, it was a Tesco carrier bag stuck in a bank side bush - a lucky escape and avoided a potential egg-on-face moment and a 100% chance of the Wooden Bins award

:clap:

Yes carrier bags can have a lot to answer for! Your incident reminds me of one many years ago, when a colleague and I observed a white ''shape'' on a park bench which looked just like a juxta-positioned white Ptarmigan, fortunately it was in central London....had it been on a park bench at the foot of Cairngorm.....:eek!: :-O

Ah yes the good old carrier bag. I once proclaimed, after a quick scan to a hide full of watchers that there was a kingfisher in a tree on the far side of the water. Yep we all had great scope views of a blue Tesco bag.

I have also seen a distant wooden post identified as a great grey shrike (not by me on this occasion but I certainly went along with it until it hadn't moved a muscle for ten minutes). Another birder of my acquaintance also once admitted to peering at a lump of soil across a ploughed Norfolk field in a heat haze fully convinced that it was a dotterel. In his defence there were actually five of them in the field at the time - he just wasn't looking at one of them. :h?:

I think the wooden bins would definitely have a category for inanimate objects

A blue plastic bag?

Sometimes the plastic bag problem can work the other way. Many years ago, on a bird race, a colleague thought he saw a blue plastic bag blowing along the ground. It turned out to be a fast running Lady Amherst's Pheasant.

Like the V.A.R.?

I assume V.A.R means Video Action Replay?....alternatively it could be a Very Ambiguous Recording...methinks the latter "stole" the day, others might beg to differ.

Wooden or Gold plated, I think that whether one was the recipient of one, or the other, neither would be "drawn" in public....a String v Bling scenario, it would only encourage a Gong Ho approach and that just wood'nt do. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back