• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vaurie's Nightjar (1 Viewer)

but you can't really expect people to take you seriously when you make ridiculous comments about birds collected in 1929

Obviously I forgot the smilies... (I wanted to click on "go advanced" and clicked on "post quick reply")...

ridiculous comments and the ridiculousnous claims that are person here trade mark!

the luck joy bird ended with collector not in sweet plus sour soup make me happness

blagger boy need to look for wing length at detail in nexts photoeos

next blagger boy will be of seriousness to tell all whoes read:: say tanzania indian house crow sacred specimin not to kill at ever

me thinked that exterminate winged beast for all a days and ridness easterned africa of plague pest

Dna

The species (most likely) never existed, and that’s why it was never found later: it’s a strange European Nightjar.

Schweizer, M., Etzbauer, C., Shirihai, H., Töpfer, T. & Kirwan, G. M. 2020. A molecular analysis of the mysterious Vaurie’s Nightjar Caprimulgus centralasicus yields fresh insight into its taxonomic status. Journal of Ornithology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10336-020-01767-8

Last edited:
The species (most likely) never existed, and that’s why it was never found later: it’s a strange European Nightjar.

Schweizer, M., Etzbauer, C., Shirihai, H., Töpfer, T. & Kirwan, G. M. 2020. A molecular analysis of the mysterious Vaurie’s Nightjar Caprimulgus centralasicus yields fresh insight into its taxonomic status. Journal of Ornithology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10336-020-01767-8

That's interesting. Do Schweizer et al make any reference to the notably small nightjars recently trapped in Mongolia?

That's interesting. Do Schweizer et al make any reference to the notably small nightjars recently trapped in Mongolia?
Couldn't see it in the refs on a casual glance; what's the author & title of these observations?

The Schweizer paper isn't available on sci-hub yet, but worth trying again in a few days.

Guy M Kirwan & Manuel Schweizer, 2020. Trends in systematics Resolving the mystery of Vaurie's Nightjar and problems posed by single-specimen species. Dutch Birding 42(5):355-360.

[article]

Latest IOC, diary post,

Oct 17 Post proposed lump of Vaurie’s Nightjar with European Nightjar.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back