• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Krang Krachan update (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
I've just spent three nights at Baan Maka & went into KK

The road is still closed - in fact there is not likely to be any change in the situation for a very long time, if ever.

It seems the situation is like this: a plan to tarmac the road was put forward, but was objected to (detrimental environmental impact?)

So this is on hold with a view to reaching a decision - but no one seems to be in a hurry.

Meanwhile, not only is vehicular access beyond the camp ground prohibited, but PEDESTRIAN ACCESS is also restricted to the road only just beyond stream crossing 3. No signs to say this though!

I walked up to km10 but was told that I shouldn't be there - I tried to hitch a lift from a guy who was going up to set camera traps - but he wouldn't take me, and anyway, he was going up without return for a week! Not a bad job, eh!

So the higher altitude stuff remains inaccessible indefinitely.

The camera traps have revealed Leopard, Clouded Leopard, Marbled Cat and TIGER, amongst other things.

Tickell's Hornbill showed to most people (if fleetingly) each day, and the lower track was very birdy - I saw a huge number of species, inc Olive Bulbul & Golden Crested Myna. Broadbills are still elusive & no reports of Pittas away from the hides.

At the hides Blue Pitta is nailed on, and I saw Green-legged Partridge and Slaty-legged Rail, amongst a host of other species.

So, Ratchet-tailed Treepie will have to wait.

I'm writing this at the airport en route to Chiang Mai, but can give further details if wanted.

H

Thanks for the update, really useful for those in the process of planning a trip. Is there still accommodation available at the park HQ? I may send you a DM too with a couple of more specific questions if I may.

Hi Daniel,

I didn't go into the HQ - that's another thing - you no longer gm have to go to the HQ to buy the entrance tickets - you pay at the gate - which saves a lot of buggering about.

By all means ask away.

H

Thanks for the update, really useful for those in the process of planning a trip. Is there still accommodation available at the park HQ? I may send you a DM too with a couple of more specific questions if I may.

You can still camp at Bang Krang Camp and the white-fronted Scops has been showing there recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back