• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long to feed birds thru Winter (1 Viewer)

BobNH

After reading how wild birds have been losing mass due to loss of their food sources, I have been feeding them thru the Winter here in NJ, USA, using bags of grocery store birdseed. My thinking was that I would continue until they could feed on their own in Spring. It is now 50-60 F here in the daytime, and there seems little likelihood of frost. The birds seem to be less enthusiastic about the feeder, and are draining it much more slowly.

When is it an appropriate time to stop filling the bird feeder? I am concerned I have created dependency among the birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

With breeding season coming upon us I always keep the feeders full for the parents to have food to feed the little ones so I would hang in there for awhile ;)

Hi Bob and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

I have feed available for my birds all the year. In the spring I use a breeding bird seed mix.

Welcome to Birdforum! I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits. I feed the birds all year round.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

With breeding season coming upon us I always keep the feeders full for the parents to have food to feed the little ones so I would hang in there for awhile ;)

Thanks - it hadn’t occurred to me there would be a breeding season.

Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back