• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May 19, 2018 Guayaquil, Ecuador Birds, Part III (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi,

Continuing from the said time and location --

My thoughts are:

1. Plain-breasted Ground dove
2. Eared Dove
3. Shiny Cowbird (Edit: sorry this is a duplicate in another thread; I did not keep track of the images well .. )
4. Pacific Parrotlet
5. Red-masked Parakeet

What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Howard

Attachments

• dove1.jpg
    dove1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 19
  • dove2.jpg
    dove2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 17
  • cowbird1.jpg
    cowbird1.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 81
  • parot2.jpg
    parot2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 16
  • parot1.jpg
    parot1.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
1 and 2 looks correct, but I do not know the parrots/parakeets well enough to know if they are right.

Niels

Are we sure the first isn't Ecuadorean ground dove? I'm not absolutely sure that there is a rufous flash on the primaries - changing the colour balance in software doesn't make it any clearer, at least on this monitor, and the apparent reddish might be due to the ambient light from the grass etc. The tail is kinda longish, the spots fairly strongly defined (and with perhaps a carmine hue when "enhanced"—certainly not bluish), and I don't see very much grey to the head/neck. So all in all, perhaps female Ecuadorean.

On the Ground-Dove, odds are overwhelmingly in favor of Ecuadorian Ground-Dove over Plain-breasted. Plain-breasted is almost never common or the "default" Ground-Dove, and Ecuadorian Ground-Dove occurs at plague levels in SW Ecuador, including in cities. A quick look and the spots on the coverts look black not purple, which points at Ecuadorian. I don't remember the rest of the field marks, but take a look at this bar chart of species occurance across the entire Guayas province:
https://ebird.org/barchart?r=EC-G&yr=all&m=

Eared Dove, Scrub Blackbird, Pacific Parrotlet, Red-masked Parakeet

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back