• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isle of Mull birding (1 Viewer)

There was a reply to this thread earlier today which appears to have been deleted for some reason. I was going to reply to it at lunchtime as I do have some relevant information. Unfortunately I don't know who it was who posted so whoever it was can they send me a PM.

Richard

Hi Dave
cruachan is on a single track road that takes you over the top of hills from dervaig to torloisk apparently there's red grouse up there as well....... as for loch ba it's a loch at a village called knock to see the harriers it's bit of a hike there's an old derelict village south of the loch i sat and watched 1 male and 2 females hunting there plus had 3 wt-eagle,goldie and peregrine fly over whilst watching them.

Hi Dave, with you now, we enjoy the drive up over the hills between Torloisk-Dervaig and have had good sightings of Hen Harriers there in the past. Never knew it was called Cruachan though. Loch Ba is one of our favourite places although as you say quite a trek. Several times my wife and I have walked up to and beyond the ruined village (I think there is a small fish hatchery there now) to try and find the old drovers road over the pass to Glen More but chickened out when we ended up in a boggy area. Fantastic scenery up there, where we have seen the WTEs but no Goldies yet. We stay in a cottage beyond Griburn.

Dave

In the latest issue of Bird Watching magazine, in the birding walks section there is a walk at Killiechronan on Mull, a good place for seeing lots of waders, divers and raptors including WTEs. I've also seen Otters here.

Dave

Hi, not far from where you are staying is Loch Buie. The scenery is fantastic and we had a great half hour watching three young harriers sparring over the hillside above the lochshore, so there are good birds in the area. Lochdon is great, had WTE, merlin, hen harrier, mergansers, and from the cliffs on the way to the end of the road saw porpoises in the Firth of Lorne.
Salen bay is great for otters, as is Loch Na Keal, had point blank views at both places, and Glen More is the best place I know for Golden eagles.
You'll love it,
Mark

Has anyone got any of the back issues of Bird Watching with the Go Birding walks on Mull that they might be prepared to scan & email to me??

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Croggan is a really beautiful area and so is Lochbuie which is not far from there. You must visit a beach called Laggan Sands (at Lochbuie) which has a little mausoleum at the end of it and nice coastal paths too. Not sure what you are likely to see but I think that area and Lochdon are really good for birdwatching/otters so I'm sure you can't go too far wrong. We booked last year through www.isleofmullcottages.com who were good. Enjoy your trip to Mull!

I can mostly repeat what has been posted so far as all good advice. Loch Buie is indeed a great spot. I often get otter there and possible both eagles over the mountains behind. The small car park spot there is good for feeding finches and such from your hand.
Coming from croggan back to the main ring road around mull at head of Loch Spelve:

IF you turn Right you get Lochdon about 1-2 miles down the road. Either side of the road on way down to Lochdon is very good for both Hen HArrier and SEO and Lochdon surround. Also had LEO there last year. Good waders at low tide and check out road to Grasspoint as mentioned earlier.

IF you turn Left then you head towards Glen More after maybe 2 miles (quite obvious as mountains all around!) Anywhere in that Glen is great for Goldies and indeed WTE overhead. Have seen up to 10 eagles in air at some time here. There is a marked stopping place/car park towards the top of the road on the left (over looks the '3 loch's' so cant miss it). Great spot again for eagles, owls, harriers etc.
Heading further round/down through Glen could yield raptors again and brings you down to Loch Schridian which great for divers, otters and eagles. Good waders at this end of Loch too. Taking high road over towards Loch Na keal could also be good and once round to Loch Na Keal it again good for Divers, Both Eagles, Otters and various other treats.

Salen as mentioned is great for otter and sometines dipper at Aros Bridge there. Aros-Dervaig road is a nice drive and eagles or harriers again possible.

You really could see great birds/wildlife anywhere but these are my fav spots.
Agree with earlier post if you can do a wildlife tour early in your stay you'll have a great day along with good places to re visit at your own pace. Ive no doubt they will all be good, but i use Arthur and Pam on Discover Mull who are lovely.
IF you want any more info please PM me otherwise have a great time and be sure to share your trip report.

Eliter7, and all others that have taken the trouble to get in touch, a big thanks,I have got so many places to see/go, I think I may well need a month to keep up,but I will try and see as much as I can,not long now, just a few weeks and one dentist visit, then we will be off.
once again many thanks, Ian

Got back from Mull yesterday from a simply stunning week. Will put together a trip report but it may take some time as there's so much to include!!

Saw just about everything on my wish list apart from SEOs - probably not looking in the right place.

We had crippling views of a WTE from the Mull Charters trip - that is a must do for anyone going to Mull. To round everything off also had good views of the Sperm Whale in Oban Harbour which was a bonus.

Already planning a retun next year!!

Got back from Mull yesterday from a simply stunning week. Will put together a trip report but it may take some time as there's so much to include!!

Saw just about everything on my wish list apart from SEOs - probably not looking in the right place.

We had crippling views of a WTE from the Mull Charters trip - that is a must do for anyone going to Mull. To round everything off also had good views of the Sperm Whale in Oban Harbour which was a bonus.

Already planning a retun next year!!

Pleased you enjoyed Mull. Ive finally confirmed a week there in June so look forward to your trip report for some pointers ;)

Pleased you enjoyed Mull. Ive finally confirmed a week there in June so look forward to your trip report for some pointers ;)

Report won't be happening until at least the weekend. Have an important work-based exam on Thursday, so need to concentrate on that first.

Best get off BF & go revise!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back