• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new reserve (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
There is a new nature reserve being developed in Angus. It is on land that was being quarried for gravel. Three cheers for the owners of the land who wouldn’t sell it when it was worked out but insisted it became a nature reserve.

The reserve isn’t open to the public yet as the landscaping etc work is still continuing. But you can see into parts of it. There are 3 small lochs, well er, lochans - one of which has a hide. Apparently L.R Plovers have taken up residence.

On a visit there today we saw 2 Buzzards, Tufted Duck and Mallards with young, Grey Wagtails, loads of Swallows, Swifts, House and Sand Martins. There were families of Blue Tit and Willow Warblers in the broom. A pair of Whitethroat (the first I have seen for ages), a large flock of young starlings, a sandpiper, Goldfinch and I heard a Greenfinch. A pair of Mute Swans and a group of Greylag Geese. Also Blackbird, Chaffinch and Crows, of course. I heard various other things in the trees but not good enough at identifying them.

Perhaps not the greatest list that some of you see in your day but there must have been loads more to see further in. We could only see 2 of the lochs. However, I do think it looks like it is going to become a very worthwhile project.

Only members can gain access to a part of the reserve at present, I was there today to try and pay my dues but the office was closed.

Attachments

• GoldfinchBF.jpg
    GoldfinchBF.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back