• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski repair comparision (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

Has anyone had a Swarovski repair and have the diopter unusable, meaning it won't pull out for a focus adjustment ?

Swarovski made good on express fedex return but left me wondering about this particular technician's ability and the only fix was shown as adjusting the focus mechanism but leaving the diopter frozen returning them to me worse.

Has anyone had a Swarovski repair and have the diopter unusable, meaning it won't pull out for a focus adjustment ?

Swarovski made good on express fedex return but left me wondering about this particular technician's ability and the only fix was shown as adjusting the focus mechanism but leaving the diopter frozen returning them to me worse.

I've had three repairs in the past 5 years (1 new SLC, 1 used ELSV, 1 very used Habicht Poro)...all had perfect performance in their returned state! :t:

Which of the Swaros did you send in to SONA, and for what reason?? If there's an issue with your repair, sure they would expedite return shipment and make it right...just call them! ;)

Ted

I only have experience with the Swarovski SLC 7x42 B, and the SLC 8x30 WB and the new CL Companion 8x30 B and on all of those you have to push the diopter buttons, located in the center on the focus wheels, in to adjust the diopter. (I don't recall any of them that had to be pulled out for focus adjustment but I haven't had experience with many Swarovski binoculars.)

The diopters on the early version of the CL Companions were located on Ring on the right tube behind the eye piece and were turned manually. That kind of diopter can get frozen sometimes.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob:

All of the EL's have a diopter adjustment, by pulling out the focuser, and then turning.
Similar to the EDG.

Jerry

MY ELs 32s diopter was not working sometimes, you could feel as if the know when pulled out was trying to catch the gear/cog but couldn't. I took off the top cover of the focus knob and found that the cover was not manufactured properly. It looks like the injection moulding did not completely make the cap form fully, hence attached to the focus knob, it was able to come loose. Promptly informed Swaro Austria and sent it off to repair. All good now.

Attachments

• IMG_7114.jpg
    IMG_7114.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 111
MY ELs 32s diopter was not working sometimes, you could feel as if the know when pulled out was trying to catch the gear/cog but couldn't. I took off the top cover of the focus knob and found that the cover was not manufactured properly. It looks like the injection moulding did not completely make the cap form fully, hence attached to the focus knob, it was able to come loose. Promptly informed Swaro Austria and sent it off to repair. All good now.

Makes me think, how did you pry off the cap without scaring it?
Thanks

Makes me think, how did you pry off the cap without scaring it?
Thanks

there is a notch to lift it up. See attached. Whole saga, including shipping and GST to get it back into the country cost $150 usd... :(
But I guess I had to do it, as after sea use I rinse the binos in water and the O-ring obviously can't seal as the plastic cover it is attached to is not fully complete due to the manufacturing process.

Attachments

• IMG_7116.jpg
    IMG_7116.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 107
Hello PlanetMaker. Sorry to here about your problem. What model are you discussing? If it is a Field-pro, then the diopter lock may simply be engaged.

Ok. I'm not saying this is what happened, but.... In the process of re-building your EL's focuser, is it possible that the tech decided to use some brand new ELSV Field-pro parts, then topped off his work with the original plastic cap to maintain the unit's original appearance? He may have inadvertently left the diopter locked internally, but since the original plastic cap isn't designed to rotate, you've got no way to unlock it. The original EL and ELSV's did not have locking diopters, and I cannot understand why an old EL would now behave as if the diopter is locked unless something was changed internally. Either way, it sounds like a return trip to SONA is in order. 8-P

Edit: Just saw your new post. Theo's linked picture is the new Fieldpro version of the 10x50, with diopter lock. So hopefully problem solved.

Last edited:
After the 6 week wait and before sending it back SONA they sent me this....

"Can you verify that the diopter lock is not engaged?"

Before sending it to them the diopter works fine, after focusing the left eye, simple pull out the diopter, clink focus till sharp, push back in, done

After repair, diopter frozen to be pulled out, sent back, they said it was fine and they would leave the diopter in the unlocked position and go from there.
I still don't get it, from the factory it was fine, focusing the left eye, pull out diopter, clink focus till sharp, push back in

By sending it back to me with the diopter pulled out I hope it's like when the factory had it.
I don't know why but cars, cameras, binoculars are great from the factory and things go wrong in a repair center far from the factory settings.

Attachments

• image007.png
    image007.png
    294 KB · Views: 110
  • image008.png
    image008.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 105
....SONA they sent me this...."Can you verify that the diopter lock is not engaged?"

After repair, diopter frozen to be pulled out, sent back, they said it was fine and they would leave the diopter in the unlocked position and go from there.

PM,

The EL 10X50 you have has a "Lockable Diopter". Now, this new EL Diopter function can be a TWO-Step operation!! If memory serves me correctly, when the diopter Center Disk is turned 1\2 Clockwise, the lock engages and it becomes impossible to pull out for any readjustment, be it on purpose or accidental...or as per your description, Frozen!!

When you are in need to make a different diopter adjustment, you simply turn that diopter Center Disk 1\2 turn Counter-Clockwise to "release the lock", then pull out the diopter knob (like normal) and make your desired adjustment to the right optic barrel!

After adjustment, you can simply push the diopter knob back in, and it dis-engages the diopter control, but will be ready to be popped out quickly again as it hasn't been "Locked-Out". Now if you choose, turning the center disk 1\2 turn to the right Re-Locks any diopter control\operation. This is a new "SECURITY" design in the EL's that insures the diopter can't be accidentally pulled out during normal glassing sessions!! However, You have the choice to engage this extra 2nd level of diopter security, or not!

Hope this helps,

Ted

Last edited:
PM,

The EL 10X50 you have has a "Lockable Diopter". Now, this new EL Diopter function can be a TWO-Step operation!! If memory serves me correctly, when the diopter Center Disk is turned 1\4 Clockwise, the lock engages and it becomes impossible to pull out for any readjustment, be it on purpose or accidental...or as per your description, Frozen!!

When you are in need to make a different diopter adjustment, you simply turn that diopter Center Disk 1\4 turn Counter-Clockwise to "release the lock", then pull out the diopter knob (like normal) and make your desired adjustment to the right optic barrel!

After adjustment, you can simply push the diopter knob back in, and it dis-engages the diopter control, but will be ready to be popped out quickly again as it hasn't been "Locked-Out". Now if you choose, turning the center disk 1\4 turn to the right Re-Locks any diopter control\operation. This is a new "SECURITY" design in the EL's that insures the diopter can't be accidentally pulled out during normal glassing sessions!! However, You have the choice to engage this extra 2nd level of diopter security, or not!

Hope this helps,

Ted

Yes this help very much, will let you know after the return to see what I was missing

Hello PlanetMaker. I see from one of your other threads that you recently purchased an 8x32. Based on your photos, this one is also a Field-pro. You can play around with the rotating plastic cap atop the 8x32's focus knob to see what Theo is explaining about how the diopter lock works on the Field-pro models.

This is a well-known new feature of the Field-Pro models. It is described in the brochure that comes with the binos:
"The diopter lock is secured by turning
it 180° in a clockwise direction.
Turning it 180° in a counterclockwise
direction releases it again."
Sorry to hear you sent the binos to Swaro for service before reading the brochure.

This is a well-known new feature of the Field-Pro models. It is described in the brochure that comes with the binos:
"The diopter lock is secured by turning
it 180° in a clockwise direction.
Turning it 180° in a counterclockwise
direction releases it again."
Sorry to hear you sent the binos to Swaro for service before reading the brochure.

Thanks for the sarcasm and being a genus |8||

Yeah, there was a bit of sarcasm in my post, but I hope you learned your lesson: before sending the binos multiple times to the manufacturer for a nonexistent issue, and starting a thread about the same imaginary issue, read the few relevant lines in the instruction manual.

Regarding the second part of your reply, I'd guess the missing "i" in "genus" is the extra "i" in "comparision" in the title of your thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back