• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured male blackbird (1 Viewer)

Miriam_7112

Hello, I'm new here - hope I've posted this in the right place

We found a male blackbird today in Sussex, UK. He is unable to fly but flaps his wings quite forcefully. He appears to have no feeling in his legs - he can't walk nor move them, and did not object when I examined them. He has no visible injuries and seems lively, apart from the fact he can't walk or take off to fly.

Not sure if he is young? He has adult plumage but makes cheeping sort of noises.

We gave him water through a dropper and he ate a couple of berries, but is still quite in shock. Any advice on what may be the problem? And how best to care for him? Our local vet would most likely put him down.

Thanks!

Hi Miriam and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

You could google for a wildlife rescue centre and see if they're able to help you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thank you for replying, I read the guidelines. Our local wildlife rescue, who are very good, advised taking the bird to the vet to be put down because he wouldn't make it in the wild. I guess the question is whether to give him a chance and set him free, or keep him in a kind of sanctuary in our garden (we have several chicken runs, one is empty at the moment) - in which case, can anyone advise me about blackbirds' diets? I will ask the local rescue as well and I have already researched online.
He seems to be doing pretty well, eating and shuffling about, except not being able to walk or fly.

Thanks!

Have a browse here. In particular, look at the four links at the bottom of the page.

It can be a bit technical, but you should be able to filter out some helpful info.

What did you end up doing with the bird? If he is a baby, he may not be able to fly yet. If he is actually injured, then you can help him. If you plan to keep him, you must remember that they require a large amount of space and attention. If you are willing to keep him and raise him, he would probably do very well. But you have to be willing to put in a lot of time and effort. They need interaction with humans, similar to parrots. They can become depressed if left alone. If he cannot fly you could make an aviary. The minimum should be 10x10 feet.

In the meantime, make sure to put out water 24/7. They like fruit, if they don't get enough water, fruit is good for them to hydrate them. Cut very tiny pieces, about the size of a dime cut into 4 even pieces. They like peaches, grapes, oranges, apricots, any of the softer fruits. Serve also for protein, scrambled eggs. Can add a bit of cheese in. About 1/2 tbs of cheese or less. They will eat seeds and nuts, unsalted. Crush the nuts with a rolling pin so the small pieces are easier for a baby to eat. Do not feed the bird white bread. They will eat corn, cooked. Also can boil potatoes until very very soft and feed them.

If you need any more help with feeding and care, just let me know. I know a lot about these birds and care for them on the regular.

Also, corvids tend to have a condition with the feet and legs where sometimes they will be deformed. They are not broken. It is a strange mutation which makes the legs drag, or they will appear to be hoping on 1 leg only. Sometimes they will walk as though they are crippled, looking like they are trying to walk through beach sand. It can happen before they are actually born, or sometimes after. Studies don't know what causes this condition. Sometimes it spontaneously goes away on it's own. Sometimes it never goes away. I believe it has something to do with the nutrition of the mother and perhaps what nutrients the bird gets as an infant. This could be what the bird has. If the bird cannot fly then this is a problem. Usually they can do quite well if they have this condition and can fly.

Also you can serve him any cooked meat you might have. Use scissors and cut into small pieces. Babies do well eating puppy or kitten dry food, soaked in water until mushy and soft.

What did you end up doing with the bird? If he is a baby, he may not be able to fly yet. If he is actually injured, then you can help him. If you plan to keep him, you must remember that they require a large amount of space and attention. If you are willing to keep him and raise him, he would probably do very well. But you have to be willing to put in a lot of time and effort. They need interaction with humans, similar to parrots. They can become depressed if left alone. If he cannot fly you could make an aviary. The minimum should be 10x10 feet.

In the meantime, make sure to put out water 24/7. They like fruit, if they don't get enough water, fruit is good for them to hydrate them. Cut very tiny pieces, about the size of a dime cut into 4 even pieces. They like peaches, grapes, oranges, apricots, any of the softer fruits. Serve also for protein, scrambled eggs. Can add a bit of cheese in. About 1/2 tbs of cheese or less. They will eat seeds and nuts, unsalted. Crush the nuts with a rolling pin so the small pieces are easier for a baby to eat. Do not feed the bird white bread. They will eat corn, cooked. Also can boil potatoes until very very soft and feed them.

If you need any more help with feeding and care, just let me know. I know a lot about these birds and care for them on the regular.
Some good advice in general, but not all the diet is applicable here: the European Blackbird is a thrush, very similar to American Robin, so advice suited to that would be ideal; it isn't at all like the American blackbirds :t:

I'd agree with soft fruit, but also add worms and similar, and avoid the cheese, nuts, corn and potatoes. Mealworms are ideal, and small amounts of moist cat food would be OK.

I'm so sorry! I thought she was referring to the crows specifically, since I hear people often calling them blackbirds. In the UK, is the term blackbird used to describe all the birds within the Corvidae family?

Lol yes, that would be a very different bird from my large, pestering fur babies! I am not sure what type of habitat the thrush would prefer to live in. It would be good to find out whether they need other companion birds or if human companionship is enough? Perhaps they are less demanding then crows? I know that crows need almost the same amount of attention as toddlers when they are young, and even once they mature, they still tend to be extremely attached and become depressed without interaction and emotional bonding. I think an animal sanctuary is wonderful as long as the bird/birds are getting attention and proper care. What do you think is wrong with his legs?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back