• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LotuTec coating (1 Viewer)

bmacrc46

I have pretty much decided on Victory FL T 10X42's and wonder how much value the LotuTec coating might be worth.

I have found new without LotuTec from a dealer for $1200 or with LotuTec for $1500. I doubt it is worth anywhere close to $300 but I wanted to see what you folks think.

My Diascope 85 has it and it is absolutely fanbloodytastic. Rain droplets just scatter when they hit the lens and it is a godsend when seawatching. Also makes cleaning the lens with tepid water far easier.

Hope this helps.

Let me preface by saying I am not trying to shamelessly peddle my bins here.

I have LotuTec and non, as well as Leicas (last generation, non HD) and the LotuTec is a pleasure. Not only do they seem fogproof, the wipe so easily, clean so easily it's amazing. I'm a photo fanatic too and I have never seen a lens wipe so easily, with so little friction, and leaving so few (none) little "smears" that you have to go chasing around. You might find a set at less than the $300 premium you are quoting, I have a new set on that auction site now starting at $1,400.

As house bino tech, I have to clean my wife's Swaro EL, which has a similar coating. I agree, it is just unbelievable. They say it's the little things. You just cannot screw up cleaning the lens! I almost burst out laughing every time I clean that Swaro. It just might be worth $300 extra if you use, and clean, your binocular a lot.
Ron

Hi, I have just received this morning my Zeiss Victory FL 10x42 at the great price of £849. I also received a huge book (DK Bird definitive guide) with them worth £30 free gift! Christmas arrived for me today! I am so happy. There is minimal shake with these, easy quick focusing, simply great.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back