• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Videoscoping with Hasselblad Tele Apo Tessar Lens (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

Hi,

Here is some footages of Long-eared Owl with my new toy Hasselblad-Zeiss Tele Apo Tessar 500mm lens:

https://vimeo.com/85823591

I bought this lens from a famous cameraman who published a Fish Owl DVD in Taiwan. I am very impressed with its resolution and contrast. I can easily say that, this is one of my sharpest lenses. If you patiently watch the footage, towards the end, you can notice my reflection on the bird's eye. Thanks for watching.

Murat F. Özçelik

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 607
Due to higher bit rate that I choose, in weak ineternet connection, sometimes the video can interfere. I recommend press the play button, then when the video start loading, press the stop button and wait untill the video totally loaded. You can watch it without interruption in such case. Or you can play it on a mobile device i.e. IPad or IPhone. Because vimeo saves another optimised file for mobile devices. If noting works, you may need to update your flash drive.

Murat, I can only say one thing...WOW!

The detail shown by this lens is remarkable, you must be delighted with your purchase. How far were you away from the bird?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for watching. I am really very happy to own this lens. The bird was 5 to 15 m away from me. There are two versions of this lens. Their closest focusing range 5 m. and 8 m. Mine is newer version which focuses down to 5 m. But for me, the long range performance is important. And I am very satisfied with it. For example a sparrow size bird fulfill the frame from 20m range and every detail can be noticable i.e. fringes of smaller feathers, nail of the bird etc. I also have sharp and high contrast nikon tele lenses. But in old german lenses contrast means different thing. The micro contrast gives the smallest details of the critters which is important for us. And I can say it is different than sharpness. These are fogotten jewels in optic history and can be found on ebay in very adequate prices. Anyway thanks again.

Murat F. Özçelik

Thanks, Murat for the information. I too use some "forgotten jewels" (a great description) but do not have a lens longer than 200mm. Looking forward to seeing more footage from you in the future.

Best wishes,

Mike

Mike,

As far as I remember, you use a Panasonic camcorder. You can attach your 200mm lens to your camcorder as 4x or as 8x upside down monocular. For this you should add a 24mm or 50mm lens to your camcorder (as eyepiece). But stacking must be reverse. Than you should add a 92mm extension tube which should be female in both side. Then you can attach your 200mm lens as if you are attaching to a camera. If you use 50mm reverse lens, you get 4x magnification which fives you over 3000mm focal length (If you use 24mm, you get over 6000mm). You can establish such a setup with spending 30-50 usd. Hope this works. Just a suggestion. Best wishes.

Murat F. Özçelik

Murat,

Yes, I still use a Panasonic SD90 camcorder, but have recently been videoscoping with a Nikon V1 attached to my scope. I will give your idea a try if I can find a way of attaching the camcorder, reversed lens and 200mm lens together using your suggestions.

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi,

Here is some footages of Long-eared Owl with my new toy Hasselblad-Zeiss Tele Apo Tessar 500mm lens:

https://vimeo.com/85823591

I bought this lens from a famous cameraman who published a Fish Owl DVD in Taiwan. I am very impressed with its resolution and contrast. I can easily say that, this is one of my sharpest lenses. If you patiently watch the footage, towards the end, you can notice my reflection on the bird's eye. Thanks for watching.

Murat F. Özçelik

Murat,
I've just watched the video. Wonderful. So sharp. I have an old Hass/Ziess 350/5.6 around somewhere. I wonder if it would be as good?
I need a way to mount it as the lens mount is broken.
Neil

Thanks for warching Neil,

As far as I remember, Hasselblad 350mm 5.6 lens is a good lens except Chromatic Aberrations on high contrast images. The MTF diagrams may not be impressive, but please be aware that, these are measured for 6x6 (actually 5.5x5.5) cm film area. But in digiscoping, we use these lenses in very small sensor areas. So the resolution shoul be triple, quadruple ... in numbers and this makes these lenses resolutions better than todays best lenses and spotting scopes. I suggest find a way to attach your old 350mm to your digicams. May be this will be your irrevocable setup.

In late 80's to early 90's Zeiss was producing the components and Hasselblad was mounting their lenses in its own facilities with high degree of presicion and craftmanship. So these medium format lenses were so good that, they can be some of the best in optic history. And the good news is you can find them on ebay cheper than a good spotting scope

Murat F. Özçelik

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back