• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aging Adder (1 Viewer)

I found a young Adder in the Wyre Forest yesterday. A bit longer and about the same thickness as a pencil. Red brown in colour. Can anyone give me an idea of how old this snake is please. Is it this years young or last years?
Jackie

I doubt that it would be one of this year's (2019) hatchlings in mid April. My guess would be born last year.

I'd like to know why males are so infrequently seen?

During my time in Russia, Adders were common on my local patch but in 5 years, only two or three males were seen, the majority being mid sized females and very young animals.

I'd like to know why males are so infrequently seen?

During my time in Russia, Adders were common on my local patch but in 5 years, only two or three males were seen, the majority being mid sized females and very young animals.

I admit that until you posted this it hadn't occurred to me that male Adders aren't seen as frequently as females. It doesn't seem to be an issue round here, at Pulborough or down in Dorset where I see most of my Adders.

However, I can offer a suggestion as to why some might have a bias in their observations: reading up on Adder sexing produces the fact that males have an even taper towards the tail whereas females remain broad almost all the way down and then have an abrupt narrowing followed by a narrow tail (making the tail rather more obvious as a structure).

But early in the season when Adders are seeking to maximise the solar heating they obtain, they all flatten out their bodies, broadening them along much of their length and creating the effect of a sudden narrowing where they run out of ribs. This could lead to misidentifying of males as females and a consequent bias towards reporting females.

Plausible?

John

A few weeks ago at a west London site that has a substantial Adder population we saw about 20 Adders basking on what had been a cool largely sun free morning. All but about 3 were identified by the reptile expert as male. I was very pleased to see my first (3) black Adders.

OK, here's a small range of shots for your perusal,
I'll try to find more when I have time.

I think the lower animal in the 4th pic is a male based on tail shape? These were both under a refugium that I repurposed for the job.

Attachments

• 20170607145137302.jpg
    20170607145137302.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180908061229361.jpg
    20180908061229361.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20160510082615491.jpg
    20160510082615491.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20150715083338602.jpg
    20150715083338602.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20150630062216477.jpg
    20150630062216477.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well, in my opinion (others are available):

1. Can't tell, the critical bit is concealed beneath the snake!

2. Female.

3. Male for me: that looks like an evenly tapered tail. Big Adder!

4. Female top, male bottom.

5. Female.

'S not easy!

John

Well, in my opinion (others are available):

1. Can't tell, the critical bit is concealed beneath the snake!

2. Female.

3. Male for me: that looks like an evenly tapered tail. Big Adder!

4. Female top, male bottom.

5. Female.

'S not easy!

John

Hmm,
when you say 'evenly tapered', I thought the males had a skinnier, longer tail, the tail on 3 is fairly shortish?

In young adders it is more easy to check the "nose"shields for sexing.
In males, the borders of the rostrale and the nasals have a strong contrasting border, while in females the shields are unicolored.

Attachments

• berusMann.jpg
    berusMann.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 25
  • berusFrau.jpg
    berusFrau.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 23
Hmm,
when you say 'evenly tapered', I thought the males had a skinnier, longer tail, the tail on 3 is fairly shortish?

I try to visualise the snake in a straight line. On a female Adder there is a distinct step between the main body and tail but on a male there is a continuous taper from further up the snake down into the tail region. (See photo below from Pulborough last year).

I liked Vipersgarden's tip but noted that even on his demonstration photos the difference seems to be a matter of degree rather than an absolute. The female scales were not concolorous, displaying the same border as in the male but admittedly with much less contrast.

John

Attachments

• 20180505 (47)_Adder.JPG
    20180505 (47)_Adder.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 20
I try to visualise the snake in a straight line. On a female Adder there is a distinct step between the main body and tail but on a male there is a continuous taper from further up the snake down into the tail region. (See photo below from Pulborough last year).

I liked Vipersgarden's tip but noted that even on his demonstration photos the difference seems to be a matter of degree rather than an absolute. The female scales were not concolorous, displaying the same border as in the male but admittedly with much less contrast.

John

I'd say the attached is a female John?

Males have a gradual taper giving the impression of a lonfer, skinnier tail where females tails are fatter and stumpier?

Another view of the same snake. Contrasting borders on rostral scales = male according to Vipersgarden. And me. ;)

Also, what I see on the tail end is a smooth taper, not a distinct step as in a female (your no. 5 shows the female tail really well: its like the shoulders on a wine bottle). :t:

Have you got a closer view (or a crop at a pinch) of your No. 3's head?

John

Attachments

• 20180505 (45)_Adder.JPG
    20180505 (45)_Adder.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 14
Another view of the same snake. Contrasting borders on rostral scales = male according to Vipersgarden. And me. ;)

Also, what I see on the tail end is a smooth taper, not a distinct step as in a female (your no. 5 shows the female tail really well: its like the shoulders on a wine bottle). :t:

Have you got a closer view (or a crop at a pinch) of your No. 3's head?

John

No mate, it shot across the path double quick.

yes John, it is a male for sure :)
but dont give to much on the vipers colour. even females may be silvery grey.
On the pictures you see two females and one male. At the male's picture I have marked where the tail begins. The bump at the beginning of the tail are the pockets for the hemipenes.

Attachments

• berusfem2.jpg
    berusfem2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 10
  • gravidBerus.jpg
    gravidBerus.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 8
  • berusMale.jpg
    berusMale.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 10
  • hemipenes.jpg
    hemipenes.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 14
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back