• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta iphone digiscope adaptor (1 Viewer)

Meopta USA is officially introducing the MeoPix adapter (at the 2012 SHOT Show) and release dates, specs, etc. should be available shortly after.

I don't have an Iphone but I will definitely give them a big thumbs up for being responsive to current technology trends. A great idea!

Does anyone know if the meopta iPhone adaptor was ever released and if it's available in Britain? I have a Kowa 883 and I'm due to upgrade my phone soon from a 3GS to hopefully the iPhone 4S.

If anyone has any reviews please post them.

John I played with one at the Space Coast Birding & Wildlife Festival in Florida in January, it belonged to one of the Leica guys at the show. There is o doubt that it is a great product, very lightweight and simple to deploy. There was talk at the festival that it may be available with different diameter push-on connectors so as to make it universal. I know that the distributor for the UK currently does not have any or know when they will be available in the UK

John I played with one at the Space Coast Birding & Wildlife Festival in Florida in January, it belonged to one of the Leica guys at the show. There is o doubt that it is a great product, very lightweight and simple to deploy. There was talk at the festival that it may be available with different diameter push-on connectors so as to make it universal. I know that the distributor for the UK currently does not have any or know when they will be available in the UK

Cheers Chris, does anyone else (SRB-Griturn for example) do anything?

Sorry John, I'm going to have to retract what I said earlier, I just found out that the adaptor only fits the the iPhone 4 and 4S and will only fit eyepieces that are 42mm in diameter.

Also they appear to not be available in the US currently

Last edited:
John that is really cool, thanks for posting the link! 42mm eyepiece. Like Frank D I don't have an Iphone, but this is a great idea.

I have limited experience with "I"-anything. I have an older Ipod that has a variety of birdsongs stored on it but we are talking...older. I don't have an I-phone and don't plan on getting one any time soon...unless they stop charging "extra" for the specific smart phone data plans. My boys have Ipod Touches though and they do take some beautiful pictures. I wonder if they would fit in the Meopta adapter and, if not, then I wonder if Meopta is planning on making an adapter for Ipods as well.

IPod Touches are just iPhones with out the ability to make calls (as a simple explanation!)

Physically, they are the same so should fit no problem.

Physically, they are the same so should fit no problem.

Not true I'm afraid. The iPod Touch is a different profile to the iPhone 4s. It has a similar profile to the earlier iPhones and may indeed be the same length and width - others will doubtless confirm this, but the depth is different which may or may not make any difference to the adaptor....

Apologies; I'm not a great apple fan, just have to deal with them for work and have an iPhone forced on me. Much prefer Android!

I always thought the two were the same externally. Might just work. Happy to stand corrected.

No problem! As an iPod user (I can recommend Birdwatcher's Diary on the iPod) I'm hoping that someone brings out an adaptor of this kind which I can use with either my PentAx or Opticron scopes!

Ask and you shall receive. ;-)

Just got the most recent Orion catalog. On page 41 is the Orion Steadypix telescope photo adapter for iPhone. Compatible with all iPhones up to and including the 4s. Designed for any eyepiece from 1.25 to 1.5 inches in diameter. Large additional clamp for eyepieces 1.5 to 1.75 inches available as well. $60 US for the base adapter and another $20 for the larger clamp.

Time to go measure my eyepieces to see what I need. Did I mention that I bit the bullet and finally bought an iPhone 4?

;-)

Even though you can take a shot using your Iphone with this adapter, is the iphone the appropriate phone or , is it simply because you can take a shot with an Iphone that makes this intriguing?

The Iphone is essentially taking a shot using a 35mm lens, right? When digisoping you want more zoom ability on the camera (not on the scope).... So taking a shot with an iphone and having the scope on 20-30x zoom, the image will look pretty small ...unless you find a bird real close, jim

Does anyone know which size meopix iphone 4 adaptor would fit the Swarovski ATS 65 scope with a 30x wide angle lens? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back