• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Year of Manufacture? (1 Viewer)

Kim B

Hello everyone,

I'm returning to birding after a long absence and look forward to learning from all the insights shared on Bird Forum.

I have a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGA/T*P. The serial number is 1402071S. How can I determine the year of manufacture?

Regards,

Kim

Try contactng Zeiss themselves. They may be able to help. 7x42 Dialyts are fine bins. I have some.

Welcome to Birdforum too!

Hi,

yes unlike Carl Zeiss Jena numbers, the ones from Zeiss West are not so easy to decipher. Contact them or maybe a helpful Zeiss employee who posts here will help out...

Joachim

Hi Kim,

Are you sure the serial number you have given is correct ?

Zeiss numbers never end with a letter and even after taking the letter away nothing appears on my database.

Gary.

Thanks to all of you for your advice in this minor mystery. I eventually contacted Zeiss Customer Service in the US. Their initial response was similar to Gary's..."please check the serial #again, the serial #'s should not contain a letter."

They then connected with Zeiss Customer Service in Germany whose response was..."this serial number was given at the Customer Service department after receiving the bins without the serial number plate. The number indicates the repair date: 2014 Feb 07 1st instrument with new number from the Service. We cannot say how old it is exactly, but it's from the last serious (series!), manufactured between 1988 and 2004."

So, there you have it. Zeiss had replaced the plate and added their own S/N and also indicating "Made in Germany" and adding the T*P* designation.

I should add that I was taken by surprise at Zeiss' Customer Service in both the US and Germany. I'm guessing they aren't always this good, but they certainly set a high standard on this project. Very well done!

Fascinating.

I had a Minolta SRT 101 repaired using a new top plate.
The serial numbers of the replacement tops are maybe impossible to date, either repair date or original date.

This probably happens more than we know.

Last weekend, unexpectedly, I had the opportunity to buy a Zeiss 7x42 bga p*t* Dialyt ClassiC, bearing the mark "Made in Germany". I want know when the bin was made, presumably after October 1990. The serial number is 2180767.

On Monday I contacted Zeiss in Germany because I thought they would be more efficient than Zeiss UK and asked them. I was right for they promptly passed my message on to Zeiss UK.

After cob today, Friday, I had had no response, so if anyone could identify the build year I would be grateful.

Last weekend, unexpectedly, I had the opportunity to buy a Zeiss 7x42 bga p*t* Dialyt ClassiC, bearing the mark "Made in Germany". I want know when the bin was made, presumably after October 1990. The serial number is 2180767.

On Monday I contacted Zeiss in Germany because I thought they would be more efficient than Zeiss UK and asked them. I was right for they promptly passed my message on to Zeiss UK.

After cob today, Friday, I had had no response, so if anyone could identify the build year I would be grateful.

A great resource on here is Gary Hawkins, who is a tech. from Zeiss
UK. Send him a PM and he will look it up for you.
His handle is : garymh

Jerry

In my case, I was planning to contact Gary, but felt I needed to send a picture. I was traveling and unable to accomplish that quickly. Instead, I sent an email to Zeiss US. They responded almost immediately. We traded a couple of emails and then the Zeiss rep in the US forwarded the email trail to Zeiss Germany.

Germany's response was waiting for me first thing the following morning, US time. Elapsed time was maybe 16 hours. And Zeiss US also sent a pair of replacement eye cups, no charge.

Kim

Thank you both , Jerry and Gary. I had no idea that it was one of the last in the production run.

Gary, do you know what the warranty was back then;

is it still valid?

Does it pass on to a second owner?

Thanks again.

Hi,

The warranty was 10 years. This is broken down into 5 years parts and labour , 5 years parts only and covers manufacturing faults for internal optics and mechanics.

Gary.

Hello Gary!

Could I count on your support in trying to find the year of manufacture of my Carl Zeiss Jena 15x50 Pentekarem, serial number is 2725814, and Zeiss 10x25B, serial number 278275?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

The 15x50 Pentekarem was manufactured between September 1954 and September 1955.
The 10x25 was manufactured in 2003.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back