• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on Zeiss Victory FL. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Currently, I am looking at the possibility of acquiring a Zeiss Victory 8X42 FL or 10X42 FL model (although I also have the possibility to buy a Zeiss 10X32 FL) and as I have seen in the forum, I would like to ask you about this binocular in relation to its optical / mechanical quality, contrast, luminosity and definition in axis, in terms of bird observation, although I would also use it for casual astronomical observations ...
Very thankful
Wachi

Hello,
Currently, I am looking at the possibility of acquiring a Zeiss Victory 8X42 FL or 10X42 FL model (although I also have the possibility to buy a Zeiss 10X32 FL) and as I have seen in the forum, I would like to ask you about this binocular in relation to its optical / mechanical quality, contrast, luminosity and definition in axis, in terms of bird observation, although I would also use it for casual astronomical observations ...
Very thankful
Wachi

Every FL that I've tried has been very solid, has had very smooth operation, and is super sharp in the center of the view. Very bright, superb contrast, very close to color neutral (but sometimes seems harsh and blue haze accentuating compared to other otherwise neutral bins). Very low chromatic aberration makes the view very clean and helps with fine detail. My only complaint is off-axis astigmatism.

--AP

Last edited:
Hola Wachi,

I do not have an 8x42 FL but I do have an 10x32FL. It is well built and gives me no optical trouble. However, I find that any 10x glass, except an IS glass, gives me problems with hand shake. They all have a limited field of view. I only use it with another lower power glass like a 7X or a 6.5X.

I believe that 32mm Fl binoculars may have Schmidt-Pechan and the 42mm Fl binoculars are Abbe-König prisms, an important distinction.

Of course, this is an old, if current design, so there are more bells and whistles on some of the newer offerings. However, even new this is a high value binocular. Finally, try the binocular before buying.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Fl

I agree with Arthur 100%, it is still a great glass.
I recently obtained an 8X42 T FL green non loutec that needs some collimation,(thank you Arthur for the info) very much appreciated.

I also recently traded for a Black FL 8X42 and now have the option to keep one. I am very pleased with the glass, and though there are many "bells and whistles" out there, I really like the glass optically, and especially ergonomically

I wonder why they stopped making it in green, I like the color.

A.W.

Last edited:
I had a pair of 7x42s - very nice apart from the fact that they were not sharp to the edge.

I also received terrible service from Zeiss UK with a repair that had to go back at least 6 times (each time returned out of alignment). Once the repair was finally done correctly I sold them. As a result of this terrible service I would not touch another pair of Zeiss.

I had a pair of FL 8x42s for several years and they were bright, sharp, light and a pleasure to use for all kinds of nature observation.

Lee

Hello again,
There is some difference in quality between the different colours of them ? gray,black,green ?
In relation to serial number..?
Thanks
Wachi.

Hello again,
There is some difference in quality between the different colours of them ? gray,black,green ?
In relation to serial number..?
Thanks
Wachi.

No. There were no optical changes during the life of FL. Some changes were made to the eyecups and Lotutec anti-water coating was added at one point but optically they remained unchanged.

Modern Zeiss serial numbers cannot be used to reliably indicate the date of production and therefore correspond with optical or mechanical changes.

Lee

I seem to remember there were coating updates along the way; the earlier models were reported to have a slight yellow colour bias whereas later models have a more blue green bias.

In my book, the FL doesn't earn high points for colour reproduction. While it is virtually CA free, very bright and has a very good whiteness rendering, I have seen it erase weak hues of pink and peach, effectively whitewashing them. I also thought that brown birds like female Mallards looked dull and lifeless.
Still it was no easy decision to sell my 10x32, it certainly had unique qualities.

//L

Every FL that I've tried has been very solid, has had very smooth operation, and is super sharp in the center of the view. Very bright, superb contrast, very close to color neutral (but sometimes seems harsh and blue haze accentuating compared to other otherwise neutral bins). Very low chromatic aberration makes the view very clean and helps with fine detail. My only complaint is off-axis astigmatism.

--AP

That's it for me! Off axis astigmatism, at least in the 8x32, is quite bad. I never got used to it. Car bin now.

Mark

The FL series was extensively commented upon here after it first appeared over 10 years ago. Some negatives reported/discussed included; small sweet spot, off-axis astigmatism, some build quality issues. The plastic bodies apparently also got a bit of stick.

You might find these threads a fun read; settle in with some popcorn and enjoy - https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=30886 and https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=67043

Both 8x and 10x FL:s are still ranked top 4 at Allbinos.
CA-correction is superior, as good as it gets.
And not everyone appreciate the flat-field in binoculars like EL and SF.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html
https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back