Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wireless Router Problem

Old Tuesday 26th December 2006, 19:29   #1
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Wireless Router Problem

I have a wireless router with my desktop hard wired to the router and my Laptop running wireless. I have been using this set-up for several months and it work ok BUT some times the laptop is very slow in picking up the network/router. I always use the laptop in the same position in the house - sometimes it picks up the network right away and other times it can take 5 minutes or more before it see's the nework. Can anyone throw any light on the problem.
Cheers
Roy C.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 26th December 2006, 23:04   #2
Words
Everything is Permuted

Could just be temperamental, but you could try changing which channel the router broadcasts on (it will be in the router control panel). Channels are numbered 1-11 or 1-13. Changing can help, especially if there is interference from neighbour's routers etc.
Old Wednesday 27th December 2006, 06:34   #3
ryanibis
ryanibis

Hi Roy-- I had the same problem with my wireless router. I read that cordless home telephones and other devices broadcast at 2.4ghz, same as a 2.11g standard wireless router, causing interference. I've heard cell phones affect as well; my cell phone would cut out and get crappy in my office near the router, leaving the room cured it (usually).

A wireless access point is relatively inexpensive if you can hard-wire one from your router-- that'd do wonders. Someone even said sun-spots can affect wireless connectivity... (I was sick the day they covered that in school though...!)

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st December 2006, 15:59   #4
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Problem now solved - turned out to be a duff router. Got a no hassle replacement at PC world and am now back up and running.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: