• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Hr80 (1 Viewer)

Hi Ruby

I do not have this scope but have used one... not a bad scope but if you are looking in that price range I think you'll find better. Check out the Opticron ES80 - I would say it's a far better scope.

Ah well....

Spookily enough, I ended up buying an ES80. I tested it against a couple of 2nd hand Kowas and an Optolyth and got on best with the ES80. I bought it last Sunday and have managed to sneak out for a couple of quick bird-safaris and I am very pleased.

It is my first scope, and this has opened up a whole new world of birding for me.

Rgds... Ruby

helo ruby on monday i got my es 80 ga through the post
havent used it yet can you tel me wot is it like.
cheers max

Hi Max,

First off I have to say that the ES80 is my first scope, so I have only used other scopes when I was trying to decide what to buy. So my experience of comparing other scopes is pretty limited, but I am certainly well pleased with mine.

The only slight grumble that I have is that the focus tends to slip a little when using the zoom, so you have to adjust focus as you go - I don't know whether this is a problem that is common to all Opticrons or indeed all scopes.

I have just started to use my scope for digiscoping and i am quite pleased with the results.... I attach a recent pic (which made me happy at least!!)

Couldn't help but notice that the winning digi-scoped image in the recent Birdwatching magazine had been taken through an ES80 - I haven't managed anything remotely as good myself, but at least it shows what is possible...

Good luck and hope you enjoy your scope as much as I'm enjoying mine....

Attachments

• Turnstone.JPG
    Turnstone.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 277
It is an unusually good value scope - and has ED glass to avoid colour fringing around back-lit objects.

On mine (I had it only for a short time), the focus knob appeared to 'slip' - but in fact it was the rather thin, ridged, rubber covering over the focus knob: it is a smidgeon too large for the focusing knob (and Opticron ought to get it sorted out as it was the same on each one I tried at the shop).

I imagine if you tried, you could easily slide it off and then could apply a very thin smear of either a solvent adhesive such as 'Evostik' or a cyanoacrylate type "super glue" to the focus knob before very quickly sliding back the rubber sleeve, it would be cured in no time. I think it's Opticron's attempt at making sure you perform safe-focus, Ruby...

(-;

On the other hand... this might void the warranty, so maybe, first, a quick phone call to Opticron is in order? They are very helpful indeed.

Last edited:
Hi Max,

I originally started using a Fuji Finepix 601, which is a cracking little camera, but sadly not much use for digiscoping as the construction of the camera means that it can only be hand-held up to the scope eyepiece with all the problems that gives.

Having said that, I did manage to get some shots which were not exactly masterpieces, but were recognisable and identifiable (particularly by some of the experts on this forum, who seem capable of id-ing a smear on the lens at 1000 metres!!)

A few weeks ago, I took the plunge and brought a Nikon Coolpix 4500 ( and all the other gadgets that you need to go with it) The Coolpix range of cameras seem to be the best ones for use in digiscoping, mainly because of the fact that you can screw them onto the scope eyepiece and hence eliminate movement, camera shake, vignetting etc etc.

It ain't cheap though..... so my advice would be that if you feel inclined to try digiscoping....

1. Take a deep breath - the urge may pass!
2. If you have a digital camera or can borrow one, have a try at handholding. It'll give you an idea of the pleasures and frustrations of digi-scoping.
3. If you're still keen after that, take out a bank loan and buy a Coolpix (plus gadgets) and hire a boy to carry it all around for you... ;)

Good luck - there is a specific forum, hosted by Andy Bright, on matters digi-scoping, plus there's loads of really useful stuff on his website.

Any issues or problems, don't hesitate to ask, there's loads of experience out there and people are very helpful and friendly.

I wonder, did you manage top fix your slipping focus wheel, Ruby?

My son's just bought a 4500 tyo use with his Swaro65 scope and is thinking of getting the LCE adapter (but it's out of stock at the mo) - would you mind telling me what kind of kit you have ended up using and how useful you are finding it? Your piccy above would make him feel proud if it was his - well done!

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

No - I haven't had a good look at the focus problem yet.... to be honest, it's more of an irritation than a problem.... it's just that you have an object in focus, zoom in and then have to make a slight focus adjustment to get it sharp again. I will have a look though....

Re: adapters etc, I have to confess to getting a bit impatient when I was trying to make a choice.

I agonised for ages and narrowed it down to a number of different suppliers but then the problems started!!

I contacted LCE twice by e-mail regarding availablility and they just deleted my mails without response. I did get a response some weeks later (after having a moan on BF!) but by then I had been put off using them.

SRB looked promising, but when I contacted them I was told that delivery would take a couple of months unless I wanted to pay more or less double for them to set up a special manufacturing run.

In the finish, I ended up buying a 'package' from EagleEye, mainly because I was getting pretty cheesed off with the whole process.

In terms of my impressions....

1. Overall, it was pretty steep - over £200 when you take VAT and P&P into account. Delivery etc was excellent - very prompt.

2. The adapter works well, but is an extremely tight fit onto my eyepiece. I don't want to keep unscrewing it from the camera (for fear of damaging the lens thread) nor is it practical to keep wrestling with the thing to get it over the eyepiece (plus potential damage to eyepiece)
What I do is to keep the inner piece of the adapter permanently on the scope and the outer piece permanently on the camera, and just slide the two bits together when I want to mount the camera. It's a bit of a struggle, but seems to work OK - not sure if that's the way it's supposed to work??

3. The bracket that holds the cable release in place continually slips out of position. It's not too much of a problem to undo it, re-position, re-tighten, but it is EXTREMELY frustrating to get that 'perfect' shot lined up, press the button and find nothing happens because the cable release is dangling over fresh air!!

4. Initially I found the ImagePro magnifier jobbie to be difficult, but am getting used to it now. Major drawback is that the image is really poor as compared to just using your scope 'native' so it's no good for bird-watching, just digiscoping.

5. The rifle-sight thingy that you use to help line your scope up seems useless. I need to have another go, but was underwhelmed at first attempt.

6. I ended up buying a external powerpack from Maplins which seems to give several hours of power - the supplied camera battery is useless for digi-scoping.

All in all, it is pretty much as you would expect for the wacky world of digi-scoping.... you can get some pleasing results, but there are frustrations!!!

Ah - that's not the problem I had; mine was a loose focus wheel rubber cover.

In your case, if you want an image to stay sharp throughout the zoom range, you first have to focus on maximum zoom then zoom out; the other way around, you will almost always find the focus is lost as you zoom in. It's something to do with depth of focus, apparently (which is much greater at low mag and much less at high mag, so you've much more chance of losing this area of focus if you begin at the low end); it applies to all zoom lenses.

Thanks for the help on digiscoping kit. The power pack looks like a must but I'll wait and experiment first. I spoke directly to the guy in LCE who designed the adapters (by fluke, I think). He was very helpful indeed - but they are out of stock of the one my son needs, and don't yet make one for Nikon scopes, which I need - so no luck there!

As you say - it's not a cheap business.

Last edited:
Yes - that makes sense.... Thanks Steve.

It's not much of a problem really... you just get used to having one hand on the zoom and one on the focus...

To be honest, I don't use anything other that 20x that much anyway....

Steve i think your son should wait for the L.C.E adapter or go for the Swarovski adapter,for your self try and have a look at the Nikon adapter you often find the manufacturers one are the best fit if a little bit more expensive. I'am not keen on the Eagle Eye adapter as it take to long to centralize (dont think i ever got it perfect on the Kowa).

Thanks for the adivce, Graham - and Ruby.

We are doing what you suggest Graham - but haven't looked at the Swaro adapter as it will be very expensive - but I'll have to have a look. The LCE is ~£60-00, I think and the Nikon, in two parts is £90-00.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back