• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 8x30 HG Review (1 Viewer)

It's very interesting reading the Allbinos review and comparing it to that on Binomania - you'd think they were reviewing two completely different products. Is that down to "sample variation" or more likely "reviewer variation"...?

My opinion runs slightly toward Allbino’s review.
I currently have a new pair of MHG 8x42s and I don’t hesitate saying they are clearly superior to the 8 x 30s.
To be clear, I think the 8x30s are very nice bins that will exhibit ghost images and flare, probably because of baffling issues as cited on albinos. The larger MHGs don’t have these issues. The bigger MHGs are sharper and focus quicker and have an even friendlier view with and without glasses. Frankly, they’re pretty amazing for their price point (I paid under $800) and are my current faves

I think the air of disappointment expressed about the 8x30MHGs (which I kind of share a bit) is somewhat unfair. For myself the disappointment is that they're not true alpha binoculars at half the price of alphas and also they're not massively better than binoculars that are half the price of these. But they are noticeably better and if you can get used to them they perform very well.

Some people can't get used to the eye placement problems causing blackouts or struggling to find best focus and I had these problems initially, but no more. If you look for problems with these they'll show up quickly - not true flat field for example. However if you just go out on a walk with them bird watching you find you don't miss a bird with that wide field of view, the detail you can pick up is great and I haven't had any issue with ghost images or flaring. They feel great in the hand as well and the ergonomics are fantastic.

If you've already got an 8x30/32 then sure what's the point of spending money on something that's only a bit better or if you're not after a small compact then don't look at these. But if you're looking for a new pair of compact binoculars that are good quality, but don't want alpha prices then these are a good option. I wouldn't pay full price, but look out for a sale/discount and they're not too bad (I paid £670). Not for everyone but definitely one of the best at their price point for this size of binocular.

I think the air of disappointment expressed about the 8x30MHGs (which I kind of share a bit) is somewhat unfair. For myself the disappointment is that they're not true alpha binoculars at half the price of alphas and also they're not massively better than binoculars that are half the price of these.

That’s my problem

Emphasis on “my”

Last edited:
My opinion runs slightly toward Allbino’s review.
I currently have a new pair of MHG 8x42s and I don’t hesitate saying they are clearly superior to the 8 x 30s.
To be clear, I think the 8x30s are very nice bins that will exhibit ghost images and flare, probably because of baffling issues as cited on albinos. The larger MHGs don’t have these issues. The bigger MHGs are sharper and focus quicker and have an even friendlier view with and without glasses. Frankly, they’re pretty amazing for their price point (I paid under $800) and are my current faves

Kevin:

I have not tried the 8x30 MHG yet, but I do own the 10x42 MHG. I think the issues mentioned sometime are common in many binoculars.
That is comparing 30 vs. 42mm binoculars.
The design of a new binocular is first done by the designers in 42mm, and is easier due to more room to accomplish eye relief, stray light handling, and
that is the most popular size. Most makers have to compromise in the design of the smaller sizes.

I find the Nikon Monarch HG 42mm models, are regarded among the top of the midrange models in that they offer very good optics, in a small and light package, around 24 oz.
That is why the 42 should be considered when thinking of the Monarch HG.

There are other Nikon 8x32 models that really do satisfy, the SE, EII, Premier
and Monarch 7. I like when we have choices. ;)

Jerry

Kevin:

I have not tried the 8x30 MHG yet, but I do own the 10x42 MHG.

There are other Nikon 8x32 models that really do satisfy, the SE, EII, Premier
and Monarch 7. I like when we have choices. ;)

Jerry

Can I assume you like it after getting some hours behind it out in the field? I might get another pair of binoculars, and if so am planning on getting a (water-proof) 10x42 to pair with my 8x30Eii. I tried the MGH 10x42 next to the Conquest; both felt good at the store - having a tough time deciding which I will go with!

Bill

Can I assume you like it after getting some hours behind it out in the field? I might get another pair of binoculars, and if so am planning on getting a (water-proof) 10x42 to pair with my 8x30Eii. I tried the MGH 10x42 next to the Conquest; both felt good at the store - having a tough time deciding which I will go with!

Bill

Bill:

I have the Conquest HD 10x42 also. I really like both, you could flip
a coin. Good luck.

Jerry

Back to the Nikon Monarch 8x30 HGs there's another review here:
https://www.birdwatching.co.uk/bird-watching-binoculars/2019/5/2/nikon-monarch-hg-8x30

Sharing a binocular shopping experience involving the MHGs here:

At the weekend I went to a shop to check out a used Swarovski 8x32 EL SV (non-FP) that they had and I was interested in buying (had the cash in my pocket) and compared it at length to my Nikon 8x30 MHG's. My swift conclusion, that I had to keep checking as it surprised me, was that I preferred my MHGs to this particular 8x32 EL SV. It had a slightly sloppy focusser, glare was immediately noticeable and this detracted from the contrast and the rubber didn't feel great either. More than that though there wasn't any clear optical advantage to that 8x32 EL SV over the MHG in the areas I care about like center sharpness and contrast, though the extra eye relief is always nice. So no way I was going to part with the £1100 they were asking.

I did however try a new Swarovski 8x32 EL SV FP and was instantly reminded why I'm interested in an 8x32 El. Better glare control and really nice contrast, which to me gave an effortless view that definitely appeals.

So I'm still interested in a Swarovski 8x32 EL, but it has to be the SV FP model and in the meantime I'm still very happy the Nikon Monarch 8x30 HGs. The main advantage of the SV FP over the MHGs for me is that richer contrast and slightly more eye relief. I'd still keep the MHG for the size advantage of it being smaller and lighter when needed and I enjyoy the very wide field of view.

I had both the Nikon M7 8x30 and the Nikon MHG 8x30(I still have the M7) and IMO for all practical purposes the M7 is just as good optically as the MHG and is 1/3rd the price so it is a much better value. I really think the MHG 8x30 is overpriced at $950.00. Even at 25% off at LL Bean the M7's are still 1/2 the price of the MHG's. Now the 42mm MHG's are a different animal the 10x42 MHG being quite good and a pretty good value for a 42mm and nice and small and light as well for a 42mm especially. In fact as far as 10x goes the Nikon MHG 10x42 is one of my favorite under $1K binocular.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got the opportunity to try as well Monarch 7 8x30, Monarch HG 8x30 and EDG 8x30. I tried several other binoculars too so I didn't do a careful comparison.
All of them are great binoculars and my main intension was to find out how eyeglasses friendly they are.
I was ready to buy the Monarch 7 if eye relief was sufficient. It was not. Not either eye relief of EDG 8x30, partly because of a bit too high eyecup edges.
Monarch HG was the clear winner in this respect and I could actually see the entire FOV with eyeglasses, though not that clear and open I want and many 8x42 provide.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back