• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (1 Viewer)

Fabulous photo of Rüppell's - give them a month and there should be a few here too ;)

Thanks Simon.

I've been rather lucky with close encounters with them the past few years.

One here from 2010, two from 2011 and a rather higher one from 2012.

Attachments

• Ruppell's-Vulture-(3)-copy-web.jpg
    Ruppell's-Vulture-(3)-copy-web.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 374
  • Ruppell-Trafico-(22)-web.jpg
    Ruppell-Trafico-(22)-web.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 365
  • Ruppell,-Algarrobo-(30)-copy-web.jpg
    Ruppell,-Algarrobo-(30)-copy-web.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 392
  • Ruppell's-(11)-copy-web.jpg
    Ruppell's-(11)-copy-web.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 372
Day started well 44 Bald Ibis at golf course, flew in and perched along ridge tiles of clubhouse, very surreal. Onto La Handa still 2 Collared Prats along with single Marbelled Duck then near the quarry 3 Bonellis Eagles and a fly over by an adult then an imm Spanish Imperial Eagle awesome stuff. Shame we then had a puncture and found spare to be completely bald (no pun intended) so had to return to Tarifa to have it repaired for a rather exorbitant 20 euros.

Day started well 44 Bald Ibis at golf course, flew in and perched along ridge tiles of clubhouse, very surreal. Onto La Handa still 2 Collared Prats along with single Marbelled Duck then near the quarry 3 Bonellis Eagles and a fly over by an adult then an imm Spanish Imperial Eagle awesome stuff. Shame we then had a puncture and found spare to be completely bald (no pun intended) so had to return to Tarifa to have it repaired for a rather exorbitant 20 euros.

Hmmm clearly we were looking in the wrong direction the other day! Any of the Bald Ibis unringed? See any Glossy Ibis?

Went the other way today, up to Montejaque. Best migrant was Redstart, with several noted. All the usual suspects in the valley.

On my return home I was treated to yet another garden tick, this time an immaculate Swallowtail butterfly feeding on the lantana blossoms.

Hmmm clearly we were looking in the wrong direction the other day! Any of the Bald Ibis unringed? See any Glossy Ibis?

Went the other way today, up to Montejaque. Best migrant was Redstart, with several noted. All the usual suspects in the valley.

On my return home I was treated to yet another garden tick, this time an immaculate Swallowtail butterfly feeding on the lantana blossoms.

Well over 1000 Glossy Ibis at LA Handa Jon, see wind though light has gone Easterly this morning and forecast to stay so for a few days so could be good again for raptor migration. Off to Cazella now and intend giving Ojan valley a look after lunch.
:)

The eagles sound great. Where do you mean when you refer to 'the quarry' at La Janda?

The area of the quarry is private property and you will be asked to leave if found there.The quarry is as Stewart says to the left of the farm and is behind the area used to store irrigation equipment.It cannot be seen from the track except for the cliff face on the right side,normally occupied by jackdaws and the odd marsh harrier.The quarry itself is water filled and contains waterfowl of various descriptions.It is a good hunting area for BOP.I hope this helps,,,,,Eddy

Dagnam it I always drive past not paying much attention..... anyway off home tomorrow. A few Red-rumped Swallows on the way and both Pallid and Common Swifts over Casares today.e About 20 Lsser Kestrels hunting over a harvested Sunflower field next to the Genal river and an Osprey with with a fish there too.

Wind Easterly today consequently raptors on the move, big group of Black Kite over our hostal (which is brilliantly located for watching passage some really low flyovers last week) so chanced Cazella lot of Short-toed again and a fair few vultures. At this point my wife noticed we had yet another puncture the third this holiday. As I was changing the wheel at 11.00hrs a shout went up for Ruppels very low overhead, brilliant not often I get a new bird at my age.

And to cap it all on taking punctured tyre to garage in Tarifa they were surprised at my bad luck with a third puncture in a week and repaired it for free. :) :) :)

Last edited:
Interesting day yesterday. Spent half an hour watching a juvenile Bonelli"s eagle doing practice attacks on griffon vultures at the colony in Sierra de la Plata.

Back home in MUCH cooler Devon today. Best yesterday was a Black Stork circling over Jimena at lunchtime. Surprised to find I'd recorded 120 species during the week. Keep the info coming folks - I likes a good read!

Annoyed to find this thread on my return to the UK, but unfortunately my laptop was playing up and the wi-fi link in my nearest bar in Alcala is unreliable. Pity as I'd have liked to have met up with those posting here. I need to think seriously about getting a wi-fi link in our house in Spain, but a year's subscription for 2-3 months use is a bit steep! Superb photos of Ruppell's, Barred Wobbler - I'm envious as I've never had such good views of RV. I've little to add to the above since birding was slightly constrained this year by visits, domestic considerations, etc - did pick up Ruppell's & Lanner over Cazalla earlier this week. However, I managed to miss any big movements over the straits - the weather's often very different over Alcala so it can be heard for me to judge.

On the 14th I picked up an email with news of the Elegant Terns on 11th at La Jara/Reyerta (just west of Sanlucar de Barameda) - see http://trevorontour.me/
I went to look for them on 15th (so missing a good movement at Cazalla where I'd planned to be), but totally forgot it was a Sunday & the place was packed with grockles. Even more annoyingly I was there on 10th taking a neighbour birding & she insisted on having tapas & coffee before we walked the beach - by which time the tide had pushed most of the birds off the shoreline!

Thanks John. I've got you to thank for the photo of the Ruppell's from 2010. You'd sent me a text to say you'd had one at Los Barrios, so I went there the following afternoon and that bird was in a large group of vultures that flew up from the tip and came right over my head before heading off south.

Very strong ENE winds today, lot of raptor action over our hostal from very early on with small numbers of Black Kite, several Honeys, some booted and several groups of Short-toed, 70+ Griffons through between 0930 & 1045, plus 12 Sprawks and a single Marsh Harrier. A low Hobby our first was a nice surprise.

Drove along to Cazalla which proved disappointing wind very strong and birds either very high or hidden below ridge to NE. A White rumped Swift gave good views for several minutes. Gave up at noon plenty of low raptors to be seen as we drove to Tarifa.

LA Hands this afternoon, juv Collared Prat gave very close views at tee junction. Distant views of Imm Imperial Eagle being mobbed by a probably Bonellis difficult as it was distant. 3 juv Bonellis at quarry put on a good show much to the delight of several photographers. An Osprey and 6 Black Stork as we left.

Sitting at hostal with a cold beer and there are still many raptors overhead and wind very strong probably f 5 - 6 lots of groups passerines and hirundines going over.

Apologies for typos using a tablet and try as I might cannot get rid of predictive text poxy thing, also in a rush as meeting friends for a meal. :) :) :)

Last edited:
Very strong ENE winds today, lot of raptor action over our hostal from very early onwith small numbers of Black Kite, several Honeys, some booted and several groups of Short-toed, 70+ Griffons through between 0930 & 1045,plus 12 Sprawls and a single Marsh Harrier. A low Hobby our first was a nice surprise.

Drove along to Cazalla which proved disappointing wind very strong and birds either very high or hidden below ridge to NE. A White rumped Swift gave good views for several minutes. Gave up at noon plenty of low raptors to be seen as we drove to Tarifa.

LA Hands this afternoon, juv Collared Prat gave very close views at tee junction. Distant views of I'm Imperial Eagle being mobbed by a probably Bonellis difficult as it was distant. 3 juv Bonellis at quarry put on a good show much to the delight of several photographers. An Osprey and 6 Black Stork as we left.

Sitting at hostal with a cold beer and there are still many raptors overhead and wind very strong probably f 5 - 6 lots of groups passerines and hirundines going over.

Certainly different today. Sat on the beach watching booted eagles coming in from the sea as if it was spring.
Presumably returning from aborted attempts to cross the Strait.

For the precision minded, at least 10 birds per hour.

The area of the quarry is private property and you will be asked to leave if found there.The quarry is as Stewart says to the left of the farm and is behind the area used to store irrigation equipment.It cannot be seen from the track except for the cliff face on the right side,normally occupied by jackdaws and the odd marsh harrier.The quarry itself is water filled and contains waterfowl of various descriptions.It is a good hunting area for BOP.I hope this helps,,,,,Eddy

Thanks Eddy.

Back to the UK yesterday, wonderful holiday intend to do it all again next year perhaps for a month this time. 3 lifers Ruppels Vulture, Little Swift and Tawny Pipit. Our hostal was very well placed 3 Kms North of Tarifa to observe much of the morning passage.

Some photo's attached, Bald Ibis at the golf course and roosting R N Nighjar at La Handa. (Excuse quality they were taken with a compact and the final nightjar heavily cropped)

Attachments

• ibis.jpg
    ibis.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 146
  • ibis01.jpg
    ibis01.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 149
  • ibis02.jpg
    ibis02.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 172
  • nightjar01.jpg
    nightjar01.jpg