• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biggest WOW binoculars you have ever looked through? (1 Viewer)

Thanks Bruce for all that good information on the SF's. Nice to know. I wonder why Zeiss decided to offer the SF's in black , as well as, grey?

I guess the market rules. They probably thought they were missing some sales because some folks did not go for the color. There were some comments on the Zeiss threads from a few members not liking the grey. Some were for just aesthetic reasons but a few had concerns the grey may be more likely to show dirt and crime.

I personally like the grey and have no dirt issues with my 10X42. The grey gives it a uniqueness that you do not have among the many black models out there. My original thought was Zeiss went with grey as a branding ploy similar to Swaro going with the green. Zeiss has used grey in other models. Lee posted a photo of what I think is a wow grey model.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3142833&postcount=1988

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3143472&postcount=1997

I guess the market rules. They probably thought they were missing some sales because some folks did not go for the color. There were some comments on the Zeiss threads from a few members not liking the grey. Some were for just aesthetic reasons but a few had concerns the grey may be more likely to show dirt and crime.

I personally like the grey and have no dirt issues with my 10X42. The grey gives it a uniqueness that you do not have among the many black models out there. My original thought was Zeiss went with grey as a branding ploy similar to Swaro going with the green. Zeiss has used grey in other models. Lee posted a photo of what I think is a wow grey model.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3142833&postcount=1988

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3143472&postcount=1997
That is a nice Zeiss Dialyt!

Just for you and Bruce here is another pic of the 6x42 Dialyt.

Lee

Lee .... Most excellent! :t: That is a well done wow photo and the wood table top makes for a nice backdrop.

I did some follow-up and was informed that the gray SF is discontinued (at least here is the US). That is to bad as one can see in the photo that a gray Zeiss can be quite classy. I guess our gray SFs are now collector items. :king:

Lee .... Most excellent! :t: That is a well done wow photo and the wood table top makes for a nice backdrop.

I did some follow-up and was informed that the gray SF is discontinued (at least here is the US). That is to bad as one can see in the photo that a gray Zeiss can be quite classy. I guess our gray SFs are now collector items. :king:

Yes indeed. A grey SF to go with your red Ferrari 250 GTO ($38M) and your Patek Philippe 5016A ($7.3 million) would make a nice set for Christmas.

Lee

I also prefer gray over black. I wonder why people want black? They don't show stains as much?

I found grey a bit odd at first but came to really like it, other folks probably took one look and walked on by. It's unusual and sometimes people don't want to be thought of as 'unusual'.

Lee

Lee,
Surely you mean the Marie Antoinette replica, $50 million.
The original watch took 43? years to make.

I think that the 6x42 Zeiss binocular looks really nice.

Lee,
Surely you mean the Marie Antoinette replica, $50 million.
The original watch took 43? years to make.

I think that the 6x42 Zeiss binocular looks really nice.

No. Surely Breguet will never sell it anyway and frankly spending $50M on a mere replica is frightfully infra dig.

The 6x42 is rather handsome isn't it?

Lee

It's an exceptional binocular. Retails for around £89.99 but was a steal at £49.99.

These seem to be a clone of the RSPB 8x40 porros,currently retailing at £122.

These focus clockwise to infinity same as the Helios?

Attachments

• 31b36ls0dnL.jpg
    31b36ls0dnL.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 65
Who makes those? Where did you find those?

As with all the RSPB binoculars they are made (surprise, surprise), in China somewhere. They are sourced through Viking Optical who supply all the RSPB shops which retail optics. Viking also source a range of their own brand optics from China and Japan I believe.

These have been around for years in RSPB shops of which Minsmere is my local.

As with all the RSPB binoculars they are made (surprise, surprise), in China somewhere. They are sourced through Viking Optical who supply all the RSPB shops which retail optics. Viking also source a range of their own brand optics from China and Japan I believe.

These have been around for years in RSPB shops of which Minsmere is my local.
I have never heard much about them on Bird Forum. How about a small review? How are they compared to the Nikon SE or EII?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back