• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Browed Warbler!! (1 Viewer)

It would be nice to get a better one, but I reckon the photo Gerry took before would be adequate as a record shot. I doubt the records committee would get too hung up on whether it might be a Hume's and no doubt Gerry's got a description anyway.

Jason

Jason,

Yes it is a perfectly good record shot. I meant to be published in the photos section of the report. That would make the owner of the photo proud, seeing their picture in print.

Yeah Andrew,
I'd love to get a decent photo, y'know one where it's a bit easier to see.
The camera is on standby 'n I've cleaned the windows....
I'll keep you posted.

My Wife took the camera to work today.....
You can guess the rest.
Stunning views, very yellow feet on this bird, is that usual?
I've taken lots of photos with the 35mm but I don't expect anything better than the digital image.

I think it's been in the village for a while, a friend of a friend mentioned a funny Warbler that was in their garden a month ago.
It doesn't spend long in the garden, but it was here again today.. I took 17 photos, these were the best...
Glad I didn't choose Bird Photography as a career!

Attachments

• Y b Warbler no.2 024.png
    Y b Warbler no.2 024.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • f YBWarbler for website.jpg
    f YBWarbler for website.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 92
That flight shot is spectacular. They can be difficult to photograph being highly mobile.

Did you see the Powderham Great White Egret?

Hi Gerry,
As Yellow-browed and Hume's can appear quite similar at this time of year,may I ask if anyone has heard it calling yet...?
Harry

cuckooroller said:
Beans on Toast Indeed!! Yuk. I always knew you Brits didn't know how to eat.

;)

I'm with Peligirl- give me a nice Taco with Jalapenos any day!

o:)

Steve, I see your iding skills are very accurate. I totally agree on this one. ;)

Motmot said:
Steve, I see your iding skills are very accurate. I totally agree on this one. ;)

Eduardo,

Problem is here in Italy even in the Restaurants they haven't the faintest idea of what Mesoamerican cuisine is all about. I made the mistake of ordering a taco here in Rome and they came out with two enchiladas and not content with this it was covered with a yukky avocado sauce!!!!

After that, I bit the bullet and ordered a cast-iron taco press and now make them at home because all you can find in stores are those idiotic corn shells that look like huge tacos and have about the same flexibility and you can't bend them as they'll just go to pieces.

Oh well, you can't have everything. At least, they have had the decency to ban the presence of the Wimpy Burger by Presidential Decree from Italian territory. ;)

No Andrew, I haven't seen the Egret yet, I'd like to catch up with the Osprey too.

Harry-It has been calling,loud and high pitched not often though.Pale legs would rule out Hume's? Am I right?
Very yellow feet aren't shown in the books but they usually show autumn plumage.

I have more difficulty idenifying mexican food, Enchilladas, Doritos, Tacos, Burritos,etc... They're all lovely but I do get confused as to which is which. :h?:

Doritos is a brand-name for junk food made by Frito-Lay and doesn't have anything to do with Mexican cuisine. Enchiladas and Burritos are made with the large flour tortillas. You put the filling in a long dollop near one edge and then just roll them up. The Burrito is generally bigger and you tuck in the terminal parts while the Enchilada is smaller and you leave the ends open. The Burrito is generally steamed, while the Enchilada can be baked with a topping on it. Tacos are made with the smaller corn tortillas as are tachitos and tostados. The last two are left flat while the taco is fried after folding it once and then you stick all the filling in like meat, cheese, onions, lettuce, tomatos and then you stick hot taco sauce of some kind on top, it's kind of like a Mexican hamburger. And then, there is the Tamale.....one of my favorites but a big hassle to make.

Just noticed, the Enchilada is made with corn tortillas, not flour.

Last edited:
Hi Gerry,
Gerry Hooper said:
Harry-It has been calling,loud and high pitched not often though.Pale legs would rule out Hume's? Am I right?
Very yellow feet aren't shown in the books but they usually show autumn plumage.
Certainly sounds like a Yellow-browed alright.Apologies if I seemed a little pedantic with my last posting,but seperation of Hume's and Yellow-browed based on plumage alone is inadvisable at this time of year,when both have worn plumage.Leg colour is good(I was unable to be sure of this from the photos),and if you note the call as being 'loud and high pitched',then this seems to correspond with the Coal Tit-like 'tsee-oo-eet' of Yellow-browed.None of Hume's calls could really be described as being high-pitched.
A good winter record,your county recorder will be delighted!
Harry

Cheers Steve, I've no excuse to be confused any more.
Except my wife cooks some tortillaish things under the grill and calls them 'Chimmichingas' or something, is she making it up or do they exist outside of her imagination?

Thanks for the confirmation Harry, always worth checking.

Gerry Hooper said:
Cheers Steve, I've no excuse to be confused any more.
Except my wife cooks some tortillaish things under the grill and calls them 'Chimmichingas' or something, is she making it up or do they exist outside of her imagination?

Thanks for the confirmation Harry, always worth checking.

Gerry,

It's kind of a deep-fat fried flour tortilla using Burrito. I think it is a Sonoran specialtly.

Ground Beef, Chicken, Beef or Pork

Ingredients:

1 pack of flour tortillas
1 cup of cooking oil, paper towels & tongs
1 to 2 lbs. of your choice: gound beef, chicken, or pork
garlic salt, seasoned salt, pepper, soy sauce
2 cups of finely cut lettuce
2 medium tomatoes cut in small pieces
1 medium onion diced
2 cups of grated cheese
1 package of Chico’s Red or Green Chili Sauce Mix
Directions:
Cook Chico’s Red or Green Chili (optional: with or without meat)
• See Mexican Style Pinto Beans
• See Preparing Meat Of Your Choice
Take flour tortilla and add 2 tablespoons of beans and 2 tablespoons of a meat of your choice. Beans should not be runny. Roll up and fold in ends. Hold closed with toothpicks so food will not spill out when deep frying.
Add oil in a shallow pan and heat until tortilla bubbles when you place it in. With tongs deep fry tortilla until crispy. Place on a plate and smother with Chico's Red or Green chili. Sprinkle with cheese onions, lettuce and tomatoes. Remove toothpicks when cooled. Dishes can be served with beans and rice.
OPTIONAL: Sour cream and guacamole.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/texmex/main/

Cheers

cuckooroller said:
Eduardo,

At a stretch I guess that this thread could be considered part of birding? After all, birders have to eat, don't they?

No doubt. Can't imagine the best birding day with an empty stomach although a new bird on your lifelist usually makes hunger forgettable!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back