• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What "blockers" have you got on your list? (1 Viewer)

Are those two really blockers? I'd have thought they've been available enough for those determined to see them. But give them a few years and maybe...

Jos Stratford said:
It was, at times, not so cooperative - some people did require second trips to see it.
I know someone who missed the mnurrelet because he decided to go for an Alpine Accentor instead. He dipped that too. :eek!:

dwayne950 said:
Lesser Sand Plover
Izzy Shrike

The best i can muster, but at 14 i can't complain!

watcha Dwayne

not bad at all for 14 mate, my best by then was probably Wilson's Phal or Wryneck!

keep it up

you never know where in the world it will end......

Tim

dwayne950 said:
Lesser Sand Plover
Izzy Shrike

The best i can muster, but at 14 i can't complain!

Nice work fella. I'd have killed for either of those at 14 (I seem to remember I was getting het up about Hobby and Black Tern on my local patch at that stage...) The plover could easily be a blocker in years to come... it took long enough for the first acceptable one...

There must be some BF members who were amongst the lucky crowd of kids who saw the UK's one and only Lesser Short-toed Lark on Portland? Or have they all given up birding? Either way, that's a proper blocker - only one record, subtle as you like (ie a birder's bird), a fair few years ago, and only seen by a very small number of people during it's afternoon stay.

That or Allen's Gallinule fresh from the mouth of someone's dog. Only another 100 years until the next one!

Jon

[who saw the UK's one and only Lesser Short-toed Lark on Portland? ]

I think of blockers as being species that make people jealous – i.e. birds that are worth raising your bins for.

LSTL must be among the top contenders for the worst bird ever seen in Britain, anyone want to confess seeing anything duller?

My only bet would be Blyth's reed, but I dipped that the only time I was foolish enough to try and get out of bed for one.

John Jackson said:
[who saw the UK's one and only Lesser Short-toed Lark on Portland? ]

I think of blockers as being species that make people jealous – i.e. birds that are worth raising your bins for.

LSTL must be among the top contenders for the worst bird ever seen in Britain, anyone want to confess seeing anything duller?

My only bet would be Blyth's reed, but I dipped that the only time I was foolish enough to try and get out of bed for one.

Yeh, I was with you mate. Good to see you have finally joined the BirdForum.
Tom

tomjenner said:
Yeh, I was with you mate. Good to see you have finally joined the BirdForum.
Tom

Nice to hear from El Salvador & Honduras' King of Blockers.

Indeed you were with me dipping on Blyth's reed. I recall we enjoyed the rather more entertaining sight of a bunch of little auks just off the beach at South Landing that day.

And to get back to the original thread, we also shared little curlew/whimbrel 'back in the day'. Top blocker.

Bluetail said:
Looks like that one's about to fall. RBA has just reported a drake in Aberdeenshire, 3 miles N of the Ythan Estuary on Meikle Loch.

Ironically that is pretty close to where TWM lives. It's also been a pretty good spot for White-winged Black Tern in the past so given the influx into Denmark I wouldn't be surprised if one of those turned up as well over the next couple of days. Remember where you read it first.

Stuart

Too true! The Barrow's Goldeneye is a cracker and must have fairly reasonable credentials as a wild bird, didn't get a chance to see if it has a ring on but if it hangs around maybe someone will get a look. Here's hoping for another NE tick!!!

most boring rarities:
Short-toed Treecreeper (because its basically a Treecreeper with a long bill)
Redhead/Canvasback (generally asleep and look like ugly Pochards)
female Lesser Scaups (zzzzzzz)
..actually come to think of it most female ducks.

1w Lesser White-fronted Goose - because its a brown goose.
juvenile Snow Geese - look like a poo with legs.
Blyth's Reed- its a rare version of a Reed Warbler - see one, dont bother ever again.
Black Kite - often tatty things
Pallas's Reed Bunting - 1st-winters are just awful.

blgp_birder

Adey - I like your picture of the Scillies twitch. Is it still like that there or was that just an 80s thing? I should go sometime, for the spectacle of the twitchers as much for the rarity of the birds. Is there a real risk of being trampled?

Hows about These which are on my list from yonks ago?
Wallcreeper - Cheddar 1978
Hudsonian Godwit - Countess Wear 1981
Orphean Warbler - St Mary's 1981
and I also got these Oriental Prat (first one), Bridled Tern, Ancient Murrelet, Y t Vireo, G W Warbler, White-crowned Black Wheatear, Green Heron and Steller's Eider.

Bluetail said:
Yes, Terry, I'll happily murder you for the first three - and the last three! ;)

A warm welcome to Birdforum from another Devonian.
I'll finish him off for the rest! ;)

Welcome to BF Terry.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back