• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix 4300 (1 Viewer)

DaveB

birding.daveb.co.uk
Have recently purchased a Coolpix 4300 (upgraded from the 885) and am getting some half decent photos. The trouble is when I take a series of photos that should be focusing easy, they turn out blurred.

Does anyone else know of these problems or the settings that I should be using. I currently use the close up mode in the scene menu because it appears to give the best results.

I know that there will probably be a better way of taking the photos but I need a little advice. If possible!

I am new to this camera too, but I purchased this camera after I did a lot of research. I read many Japanese DigiScoping site. All members there, pointing this is the best camera for it.
I understood that the best result can be obtained by using
Manual setting
Close up on
Peeking on and adjust your scope and camera
I use together with Nikon ED IIA scope which also I bought recently.
I am very happy with scope but I did not have good chance to test DigiScope. It rains a lot in Vancouver , Canada in winter.

Sorry I didn't see your posting earlier Dave.

I am pretty new to Digiscoping too, using the 4500. I was a bit disappointed in the results at first, but after reading some of the advice on here, started using one of the xtend-a-view viewers. It has made a huge differecne to the number of 'keeper' shots that I now get. I use the close-up setting on mine following Andy's advice, roughly focusing, then half depress the shutter to lock focus and then refocus using the scope and then fully depress the shutter. I use a cable release too. I find doing that gives more consistent results, though I find movement either from using the cable release or just vibration still causes some blurred shots. I do use the continuous shooting mode myself, but I usually find the sinlge shot mode is better. In hindsight I think an electronic remore release may have been better as you don't need to touch the camera at all.

Thankyou for the reply Dan / Ian,

It has been difficult to get out and try digiscoping with the 4300. When I do, I normally find that I take approximately 10 shots to get one decent one. I therefore decided to purchase a mount for my Kowa scope but having got this, the results do not seem to have improved. Vignetting appears to be a big problem, 'when using the mount, I am forced to zoom right in to the subject to eliminate the shading'. I get just as good shots by just holding the camera up to the eyepiece.

I too have found that the 'Close up' setting in manual produces the best result. I still tweak at the settings when taking photo's and hope that the quality of the images taken will improve with time.

Next time i'm out i'll be trying Ian's advice. I'll try locking the focus on the camera before re-adjusting the focusing on the scope. Thanks for that advice Ian, i'll let you know the results!

Dave B.

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry I do not come here often but I bought my Nikon 60ED from Japan. I found good deal on web site but vender refused to send me to Canada, so I end up asking my high school friend. So he purchased and sent it to me.I like it.
As to shooting, many Japanese site suggest exactly same as Ian's advise. They explain how the naked eye virtual image differ to camera try to focus virtual image in the scope. I thought once you can see clear with corrected (with Glasses) eye will results good focus on camera, but it is not what happen so I had many out of focus shots.

What sort of step up rings adapters ,would I need if I bought the cp4300 for digiscoping?What sort of results are people getting with this camera?Any advice would be welcome.

I've now had the camera for almost six months and am still having to take a series of shots to get one half decent one. View some of my better photo's on the Durham Bird Club Website (durhambirdclub.org).

The beauty about this camera is that it can be used without any adapters by simply holding it up to the eyepiece (no vignetting). The only trouble with this is that you get a bit of shake so it does require a steady hand and a large card so that the bad images can be binned.

I did purchase an adapter for the eyepiece. It also required a step down ring. The cost for this was around £80 and i've only used it a handful of times. This is because of two reasons:

You have to zoom in a considerable distance to remove the vignetting which does cause problems and it can get quite aukward to find the target if it has moved out of view.

I therefore tend not to use the adapter and persivere with having to take a few shots. I find it allot easier this way.

The camera itself is brilliant. Good close ups, good family shots & some good digiscoping.

Hope this helps!

I have just spent a few hours digiscoping with the cp4300, fitted with the Nikon UR-E4 add-on lens/filter adapter + Digimount (28mm threaded), in combination with a Swarovski ST80HD/20-60x.

Seemed an excellent little camera, with vignetting as minimal as a cp9**/4500 camera.... vignetting appearing only when you get into the bottom 1/4 or so of the camera's zoom range.

Results were excellent (I'm happy with one good shot in 10-15). Life wasn't easy with this camera combined with straight scope, really missed the tilting monitor of the cp9**/4500. Also didn't like to have to go through menus to alter things that are on buttons on the larger Nikons..... but the camera is aimed as point & shoot, so fair enough.
No aperture priority 9the camera only has 2 aperture values!), but full manual is available... program mode in manual seemed more than adequate for digiscoping.

Anyone know how to attach an extend-a-view to it's monitor? A fellow BF member will be keen to know.

Andy Bright

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back