• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Don't Feed The Birds (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
According to research by the School of Biological Sciences at the University of New Zealand, feeding birds may be upsetting the balance between established native species and newcomers.

Researchers compared the difference between residential gardens which left out bird food and those that did not and unsurprisingly found that those with food attracted a greater variety of species.

Article here.

Yep, could be very important in Britain too - I've suspected for some time that declines in Willow Tit, Marsh Tit, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, and Song Thrush in particular may be related to bird feeders encouraging more aggressive Great and Blue Tits, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, and Blackbirds, respectively, which then displace the less competitive species.

Bird Feeders

I've been feeding birds for years and very rarely do I see a non-local species. When I do it's a migratory flock that has stopped by. B :)

There was a study a couple of years ago which found reduced clutch sizes in woodland territories containing or nearby feeding stations, I think the species was the great tit. Certainly, more research needed.

So far as the UK goes, I could supply plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest species such as willow tit and lesser pecker can fend perfectly well in areas with bird feeders, so long as the rest of the habitat suits them too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back