• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

I can't seem to access the Itinerary? I believe 1-17 January is Kuwait. A lengthy period. So 25 hours to the start of this WP Big Year. Although there is a repeat trip planned, so some of these will be seen on both, I suspect the key species are:-

Important
Crested Honey Buzzard
Shikra
Crab-plover
White-tailed Lapwing
Red-wattled Lapwing
Lesser Sand Plover
Daurian Shrike
Turkestan Shrike
Indian Roller
Hypocolius
Oriental Skylark
Buff-bellied Pipit
Bank Myna
White-eared Bulbul
Red-vented Bulbul
Afghan Babbler
Red-tailed Wheatear
Ruppell's Weaver

Less Important but Useful
Western Reef Heron
Grey-headed Swamphen
Greater Sand Plover
Armenian Gull
Greater Crested Tern
Namaqua Dove
Menetrie's Warbler
Hooded Wheatear
Dunn's Lark

Regular Elsewhere but Useful
Greater Spotted Eagle
Eastern Imperial Eagle
Little Crake
Cream-coloured Courser
Great Black-headed Gull
Greater Hoopoe-lark
Black-crowned Sparrow-lark
Temminck's Lark
Mourning Wheatear

Recent rarities
Hume's Warbler
Eversmann's Redstart
Olive-backed Pipit

All the best

The two Blue Chaffinches are split now :t:

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/bow/finches/

Not yet split by netfugl and I have a feeling they might take some time before accepting this split too, hence a (subjective) score of 4

Forgot about this - had a look at Netfugl, and their list is based on an old version (Version 2.7) of IOC. Since they're following IOC, it's only a matter of when they can find the time to update to the current IOC version. If I recall rightly, Netfugl is/was suffering from a lack of anyone with the time to do updates, but that could always change.

Not true guys, Jens continues to update netfugl with input from PAC and myself. We were updating the existing netfugl WP list in accordance with BOU updates but they became 'frozen in time' ��.

If you check the list you will see that new additions are added quickly e.g. Ruppell's Weaver, Dark-sided Flycatcher and the removal of species such as Fork-tailed Flycatcher and Louisiana Waterthrush in accordance with recent Spanish decisions.

So the list is very much up to date but taxonomy is up in the air until the BOU get their act together.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Seems sensible to wait and see what the BOU do.... personally I would go with IOC but I have a nasty feeling they might follow HBW and the crazy (IMO) Tobias system.

If that happens we will have a decision to make...

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Not true guys, Jens continues to update netfugl with input from PAC and myself. We were updating the existing netfugl WP list in accordance with BOU updates but they became 'frozen in time' ��.

So the list is very much up to date but taxonomy is up in the air until the BOU get their act together.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Thanks! If so, the WP list (from BOU, with e.g. Lesser Redpoll, without Stejneger's Stonechat) must differ from the World list (from IOC, without Lesser Redpoll, but with Stejneger's Stonechat) in a few places? Are there any plans to update the World list to the current IOC 6.4?

No plans to update any lists prior to the BOU decision. Once that happens I guess things will change.....but Jens is a busy guy and is currently away in Peru, so keeping the WP list up to date is the priority at the moment.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

And they're off...79 species entered for day 1...11% of the 720 target set by Paul down (leave it to him to break the score down within his groups)...how hard can it be...?

Category 1 - 323 species
Category 2 - 229 species
Category 3 - 105 species
Category 5 - 36 species
Category 6 - 20 species
Category 7 - 7 species
Target - 720 species

Seems sensible to wait and see what the BOU do.... personally I would go with IOC but I have a nasty feeling they might follow HBW and the crazy (IMO) Tobias system.

If that happens we will have a decision to make...

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Actually...so far there is no evidence the IOC is going to adopt HBW, but I have heard speculation that BOU will...

Nice to see they got Hypocolius. Is Black-throated Thrush a vagrant to Kuwait, or a regular winter visitor?

Actually...so far there is no evidence the IOC is going to adopt HBW, but I have heard speculation that BOU will...

Crossed wires I guess, that's what I meant. My worry is that BOU will follow HBW.

B-t Thrush is rare but fairly regular in Kuwait.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Crested Honey Buzzard is the big bonus today, still some WP listers over 800 who need that....

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Crested Honey Buzzard is the big bonus today, still some WP listers over 800 who need that....

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

And others on around 750...... They could have had the decency to wait till 2nd January before starting to put birds on me. They'll get at least another 50..... :-C

On the categorisation I posted, I make it:-
Category 1 - 63 species
Category 2 - 11 species
Category 3 - 4 species (White-tailed Lapwing, Hypocolius, Black-throated Thrush & Bank Myna)
Category 5 - 1 species (Crested Honey Buzzard)

All the best

Im still surprised they directly started in Kuwait. The crested Honey maybe was Worth it. But a 2day start in Sweden Denmark Germany could have gotten them a combined of Red necked Stint, Franklins, Ivory and Ring billed Gull. With Ivory Gull on the List you maybe can skip Svalbard completely?

I really think the First days of a big year should be used to clear up some longstaying Rarities.

I agree, and my first bird of the year would probably have been the Sudan Golden Sparrow, if it is still in the Canaries. The problem is, unless you have very deep pockets, it isn't very affordable to do a fully flexible WP big year based around vagrants. Just think how much more expensive it would be to be constantly buying last minute flight tickets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back