• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid (1 Viewer)

Are there any reviews in the 8X42, I know there are a couple on the 10X42.

A.W.

What do want to know? I can probably help you with any concerns/questions you might have about it.

Is this for a replacement for the SF or an addition?

Last edited:
Chuck,

This is for a replacement.

A.W.

HAHA! Okay!

Here's what I think. I think the Noctivid 8X42 is a VERY nice binocular, I really do....BUT....B :)

Comparing it to the optics/function/ergonomics of a EDG II 8X42, not a worthwhile amount of difference IMO. I had just as soon have one as the other.

I still say a nice choice for you would be a SV 8.5X42 OR even a SV 8X32.

Chuck,

Thank you for the info, I have enjoyed your reviews and they are actual reviews from the field good stuff..so I do value your opinion. I will look into those, esp the SV 8.5X42, I have the 8X32 format down, but there is always room.

A.W.

dries1, post 5,
Two possibilities: use Google translate or learn Dutch. However it must be not very difficult to understand the tables and graphs even if they are in Dutch.
Gijs van Ginkel

If I understand the transmission graphs correctly the 8x42 Noctovid is more colour neutral than the SV and SF in that the Noctovid loses less on the violet side of the spectrum than the SV and the SF do on the red side?

So it appears the Noctovid doesn't have a 'warm' (red) bias, but the SV and SF lack warmth (red)?

George

If I understand the transmission graphs correctly the 8x42 Noctovid is more colour neutral than the SV and SF in that the Noctovid loses less on the violet side of the spectrum than the SV and the SF do on the red side?

So it appears the Noctovid doesn't have a 'warm' (red) bias, but the SV and SF lack warmth (red)?

George

George, that is one way to describe it but neither SV or SF are totally without red so it is perhaps better to say that Noctivid has more red than them and by doing this you arrive back at the position that Noctivid is 'warmer' than SV and SF.

Lee

I gues that's exactly my point, Lee. According to the transmission graphs the Noctovid is more colour neutral than the SV and SF, so in describing their colour rendition we should point out that the SV and the SF 'lack' red or are 'cooler' because it is the SV and SF that 'deviate' more from a flat curve (the ideal) than the Noctovid.

By describing the Noctovid as 'warmer' we turn things upside down and this can give the impression (as is often seen here) that the SV and the SF are more neutral in colour than the Noctovid.

George

I gues that's exactly my point, Lee. According to the transmission graphs the Noctovid is more colour neutral than the SV and SF, so in describing their colour rendition we should point out that the SV and the SF 'lack' red or are 'cooler' because it is the SV and SF that 'deviate' more from a flat curve (the ideal) than the Noctovid.

By describing the Noctovid as 'warmer' we turn things upside down and this can give the impression (as is often seen here) that the SV and the SF are more neutral in colour than the Noctovid.

George

George you make a good point although the way we perceive colour doesn't always follow what you might expect from the transmission graphs.

Lee

George in the spectral region of the highest sensitivty of the eye, the EL-SV has a so good as flat spectrum, whereas the Noctivid has a slight bias on the red part of the spectrum (the spectrum is not flat in the sense that it is parallel to the baseline but climbs slowly from blue to red, that gives the warm image impression of the Noctivid).
It means that in principle the EL-SV performs better at low light intensities, since the optimum sensitivity of the eye shifts to the blue spectral region in those circumstances.
Gijs van Ginkel

Not sure how it compares to the graphs but when I have used an SV in winter viewing snow [in flat light] it appears distinctly blue-tinged, compared to an HT which is the cleanest white / colour neutral bin I have.

I have found this scenario [winter, snow viewing in flat light] to be the most revealing in terms of colour bias, especially white fidelity. I have long maintained that my 10x42 FL was completely neutral but, in this scenario, a hint of delicate green is visible. Same goes for my Conquest HD - seems neutral in most situations but in winter snow is decidedly creamy in tone.

My old Elite's, that I loved for years, suddenly looked brown, dull and crappy when using the snow test against bins with better transmission and more neutral tone.

Last edited:
I knew I would get out of my depth :)

Thanks for your helpful comments. I guess in the end it boils down to what you prefer: a bit of extra 'brightness' at low light or somewhat 'warmer' colours during the rest of the day...

George

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I would get out of my depth :)

Thanks for your helpful comments. I guess in the end it boils down to what you prefer: a bit of extra 'brightness' at low light or somewhat 'warmer' colours during the rest of the day...

George

George
Your posts elicited helpful information from Gijs that we can all learn from.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back