• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herps. from WS/Morroco (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Herps. from WS/Morocco

If anyone can help with these I'd be grateful. Apologies for the poor photos: the lizards were increadibly active. I think the lizard is Acanthodactylus aureus. It was taken near Dahkla, Western Sahara.

The frog was taken near Oued Massa, Morocco.

Apologies for inexcusable spelling mistake in the title which I seem unable to change.

Attachments

• frog_rsz.jpg
    frog_rsz.jpg
    890.4 KB · Views: 31
  • lizard_rsz.jpg
    lizard_rsz.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 34
  • lizard2_rsz.jpg
    lizard2_rsz.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
If anyone can help with these I'd be grateful. Apologies for the poor photos: the lizards were increadibly active. I think the lizard is Acanthodactylus aureus. It was taken near Dahkla, Western Sahara.

The frog was taken near Oued Massa, Morocco.

Apologies for inexcusable spelling mistake in the title which I seem unable to change.

I think the frog is Saharan Green Frog (Pelophylax saharicus). Not sure with the lizard as I don't have any books to hand.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you're correct with the lizard ID now I've checked with my field guide.

Last edited:
I think the frog is Saharan Green Frog (Pelophylax saharicus). Not sure with the lizard as I don't have any books to hand.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you're correct with the lizard ID now I've checked with my field guide.
Thanks Mike

Are you using the Amphibians and Reptiles of the WS?

Thanks Mike

Are you using the Amphibians and Reptiles of the WS?

For the lizard yes. The taxonomy is a little out of date, but it remains the only decent herp guide to the area.

I'm interested to find out how you did with the mammals. I'm heading to WS in a couple of weeks (my second visit) and I'm hoping for Golden Wolf and better views of the polecat.

That's slightly complicated. We did get pretty reasonable views of golden wolf but none of the polecat. As for sand cat - my main target - there is some slight difference in opinion but, as for me, I'm not 'ticking' it. I will return but I'm not doing that drive from Agadir again so it'll have to be a rather more expensive trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back