• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

At Fife Ness - a Desert (1 Viewer)

The Desert Wheatear was still present today and there were quite a few happy punters along to pay their respects. It was showing down to three metres (yes that's three metres) and I took three rolls of film. I'll put up the results tomorrow.

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Fifey,

Yep, debunked in general. Birds go as vagrants in all directions, the apparent high numbers in Britain are due to (a) higher observer density here, and (b) because many of them are not vagrants at all, but wintering populations that are intending to come here.

The BB paper is well worth reading, let me know if you want a photocopy (or do they have it in your Uni library?). My feeling on reading it was 'at last, someone speaking some sense!'. I never did rate reverse migration theory as a realistic idea, far too many holes in it (Desert Wheatears, etc., being one of them)

Michael

I assume that in yor first paragraph you mean migratory birds vary their migratory paths (obvious) and these Desert Wheatears are using the UK as a stopping of area before migrating to their normal Wintering grounds?
Why would they?

As for a population not so! All birds observed are singular, not even a meta-population. The total numbers observed in the UK in recent weeks etc can be counted on 2 hands. I'd suggest these birds are juveniles (sic) that have become disorientated as happens with many birds.

Osprey

On the same theme of "reversed migration" could it be that some species are more prone to dispersal than others!! why for instance are pallass and yellow browed warblers relatively frequent in uk and not for instance such species as brown and mugimaki flycatchers and black faced bunting which breed and winter in similar areas!! is this a genetically inherited trait?
The vagaries of migration are truly complex and not easy to explain away on one theory or another

Hi Sparrowbirder,

Almost certainly, yes. If nothing else, the paucity of the various Turdus thrushes from Siberia in Britain demonstrates it - these are just as abundant as the various Phylloscopus on the breeding grounds, so they ought to turn up as often if they showed the same % tendency to head this way.

Michael

Hi Spud,

Comments in things like Seebohm's Birds of Siberia and Knystautas' Natural History of the USSR. I don't have any detailed BTO-style population abundance figures, just pointing out that the 100/200:1 or more ratio of Siberian Phylloscopus to Siberian Turdus in British records is not the same ratio in Siberia.

Michael

Hi Michael,
Do the Siberian Turdus(or Zoothera,for that matter) thrushes migrate as far as those two Phylloscopus species?Perhaps that may be another factor at work?
Harry H

In my experience species such as Yellow-browed and Pallas's Warblers are very much more abundant than just about anything else in Siberia. I'm not convinced that anything other than population size affects the relative likelihood of similarly long distance Siberian vagrants appearing in autumn.

Spud

Hi Harry,

They both go to places like Thailand and southern China, so more-or-less yes, maybe the thrushes just slightly shorter as they're hardier birds. The Zoothera spp. are apparently much scarcer on the breeding grounds (breed at very low density), so it's reasonable we don't get many of them.

Michael

Hi Michael,
Oddly enough,here in Ireland we have had 3-4 records of White's Thrush and one of Siberian Thrush,but NO records of the Siberian Turdus species!The skulking nature of White's Thrush in particular would also mitigate against the discovery of vagrant birds.
Spud:what other species,if any,would approach Yellow-browed and Pallas' in abundance in Siberia?Presume Richard's Pipit must be quite common,given their relative abundance in Western Europe?
Harry H

Hi Spud,

Thanks; but do Y-brows and Pallas's really outnumber say, Eyebrowed Thrush, Black-throated Thrush and Dusky Thrush by 200:1 in Siberia?

Michael

on the subject of mugimaki flycatcher michael,has anybody ever come up with a reasonable explanation for the rejection of the stone creek,humberside bird!! a 1st y bird in suitable east coast habitat at a perfect time of year in excellent weather conditions!! I think the explanation that "there is no pattern for vagrancy" was always a bit ambiguous, a pattern compared to what..other mugimaki flycatchers or to similar species which breed in the same area and are seen regularly in UK!! sometimes I dont think the BOU know what they are doing half the time..

Hi Andy,
Though not of much relevance to us here in Ireland,I am obviously aware of the circumstances surrounding that Mugimaki Flycatcher(the bird's "exoticness" is enhanced by its name:so redolent of eastern Asia!).
As I understand it,the bird was accepted on to Category D.This would not have taken place if the BOURC could prove conclusively that it was only an escape:rather,the record is in "storage",and may well be dusted off if there are further occurrences in western Europe.Remember,the Shetland Cedar Waxwing was on Category D,but now stands as the first accepted British record.Anyway,no-one is telling birders that Category D birds are untickable....;)
Harry H

Thanks; but do Y-brows and Pallas's really outnumber say, Eyebrowed Thrush, Black-throated Thrush and Dusky Thrush by 200:1 in Siberia?

Yes they probably do, especially at the end of the breeding season.

Spud

Thanks Spud - the impression I'd got from reading was that it was not dissimilar to say the ratio of Willow Warblers & Chiffchaffs to Song Thrushes & Blackbirds in Britain, maybe about equal or at most 3 or 4 to 1. I'm surprised thrushes should be so rare in what I would guess is pretty ideal habitat

Michael

Another way to look at it - I'd guess there's about one Yellow-browed for every 10-20 Chiffchaffs on the UK east coast in autumn, but only about one Eyebrowed for every million or so Redwings - why should that be?

Michael

Hi Andy

you said:

I think the explanation that "there is no pattern for vagrancy" was always a bit ambiguous, a pattern compared to what..other mugimaki flycatchers or to similar species which breed in the same area and are seen regularly in UK!! sometimes I dont think the BOU know what they are doing half the time

I think this refers to the fact that Mugimaki Fly has no track record of vagrancy in general, not just to the UK, hence with the possibility of it being a cage bird the BOU rightly err on the side of caution. If more Mugimakis turn up here or at any points between their breeding ground and here then the rec. may be reassessed later.

Lots of Asian vagrants do turn up here with some degree of regularity and Mugimaki isn't one of them so I think the BOU decision looks fine at the moment especially in the light of no more turning up since.

And they do know what they're doing ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back