• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Crossbills to one side, is there any details on the Northern Harrier reported at Welney a couple days ago? I can assume it's the Ouse bird just moving around? Cheers

Reported flying south past the obs in the afternoon. It was reported as juv female and the sites are adjacent to each other (though in different counties) so clearly believed to be the same bird. There have been no further reports from the Ouse Washes though the bird started ranging more widely a couple of weeks back when a few hen harriers arrived so it could be covering a big area.

It could still turn up on another stretch of the washes or somewhere like Wicken, plenty of habitat around.

James

THE female parrot crossbill on Saturday in the clear-fell was clearly larger than all of the others.
Early arrivals seeing this bird in an isolated dead pine.

All manner of different numbers of parrot crossbills were claimed Saturday.

To my knowledge the 12 was paged against a report by an observer who was only happy to claim a few of them, from field-based observations of mobile birds.

Managed to catch up with several Parrot crossbills this afternoon, with great views and some calls for consideration, at Holt near the country car park. Apart from one male bird (on bill size only) they all fitted my expected criteria for Parrots and Stuarts cone transfering behaviour. With good company, a jolly spiffing time. Thanks all.

Titchwell November 18th

Today's highlights

Slavonian grebe - 3 offshore
Sandwich tern - 1 offshore
Snow bunting - 8 on beach
Pink footed goose - 1690 roosting on Thornham Point. Not very often we get them roosting here
Golden plover - 900 on fresh marsh
Teal - 921 on fresh marsh, 107 on grazing meadow pool
Pintail - 147 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 77 on grazing meadow pool
Hen harrier - ringtail briefly over saltmarsh

Paul

Parrot crossbill numbers reported
(When birds were present)
Mon 11 November 11 birds
Tuesday 12 November 10
Wednesday 13 November 9, 10, 6, 12, 12, 12
Thursday 14 November 4, 3
Friday 15 November 10, 1+
Saturday 16 November 1, 12
Sunday 17 November 2, 3, 6, 3, 8, 9, 12
Monday 18 November 6, 10

Last edited:
Parrot crossbill numbers reported
(When birds were present)
Mon 11 November 11 birds
Tuesday 12 November 10
Wednesday 13 November 9, 10, 6, 12, 12, 12
Thursday 14 November 4, 3
Friday 15 November 10, 1+
Saturday 16 November 1, 12
Sunday 17 November 2, 3, 6, 3, 8, 9, 12
Monday 18 November 6, 10

Saw the flock this pm. They are hard to count when in the pines but in flight the flock consisted of 10-12 birds.
All the birds I saw well today (six plus) looked like Parrots and the flock sounded like pure Parrots.
Maybe there have been some Common Crossbills in the area but I think the flock at the car park seem like pure Parrot Xbills

Also how they cut the cone off and then carry it to another perch to feed ! Don't think I've ever seen a common do that. Awesome beasts

I saw one carrying a cone with its mandibles on the top and bottom of the cone, so that when it flew I could see the sky between the mandibles and the cone! Truly amazing.
:eek!:MJB

Never mind the different numbers being reported at any one time, twelve seems to be number of parrot crossbills around Holt Country Park and Lowes.

The best day for viewing was Wednesday
Wednesday 13 November numbers reported 9, 10, 6, 12, 12, 12

On Saturday twelve "crossbills" were present
Saturday 16 November numbers reported 1, 12
Were all 12 parrot species?
No consensus was reached, in answer to that question.

Parrot xbill numbers

... They are hard to count when in the pines but in flight the flock consisted of 10-12 birds ...

... Maybe there have been some Common Crossbills in the area but I think the flock at the car park seem like pure Parrot Xbills

There are common xbills in the area, perhaps as many as 10, but they are normally (not always) in separate flocks. The flocks are easily separated in flight if they are calling (and they often are) as the Parrots have loud ringing calls quite different to common xbills. Numbers of Parrots reported (and seen personally) suggest that there is a minimum of 12 present and possibly as many as 15-20. The original flock of 10 (min 4 males) is regularly joined by a pair that are often seen separately. In addition I recently watched a flock of 13 birds (12 Parrots and one Common) fly strongly east out of Holt CP and away to the conifer block on the Lowes. I then walked a matter of 120m or so back to the carpark area to encounter a group of 30 odd birders who had been watching a flock of c.6 Parrots for over 10 mins. They surely had to be different birds? I didn't see all of them clearly as they fed in the pines but I did see 2 well enough to confirm the i.d. as Parrots and other respected observers were happy with all of them being Parrots.

Last edited:
There are common xbills in the area, perhaps as many as 10, but they are normally (not always) in separate flocks. .…Parrots for over 10 mins. They surely had to be different birds? I didn't see all of them clearly as they fed in the pines but I did see 2 well enough to confirm the i.d. as Parrots and other respected observers were happy with all of them being Parrots.

Thanks for clearing that up. Was starting to wonder why people were reporting both species.
As you say, the calls are distinctive.
Sacha

Just a little more clarification to the crossbills at Holt CP clarification.
The day that Hazel & I found them (last Monday) there were 12-15 Parrots.
Next day, 10 + a separate pair, and potentially a group of four as well. It could be that there are indeed 16-18 present, but 12 has been the usual number seen on subsequent days. Coincidentally, there has also been a flock of 12 (!) Common Crossbills (big-billed, continental-type birds...) and at least one smaller male Common ('glip-type') Crossbill frequenting the Lowes.
It is a big site, and there may be more of all three forms present, and they plainly do meet up occasionally, but usually the flocks are 'pure' and separate. That the Parrots seem both tame and showy is a comfort!

The flock of Parrots again spent most of the morning at least in the scattered pines in the open woodland strip between Holt CP car-park and the road. 8 were easily visible feeding, but I didn't see them fly, so could have been more in the trees. There was mention of a male Common, but I didn't see it myself; I did hear some Common Crossbills fly over closer to Edgefield, but didn't see them to count.

Last edited:
The flock of Parrots again spent most of the morning at least in the scattered pines in the open woodland strip between Holt CP car-park and the road. 8 were easily visible feeding, but I didn't see them fly, so could have been more in the trees. There was mention of a male Common, but I didn't see it myself; I did hear some Common Crossbills fly over closer to Edgefield, but didn't see them to count.

14 birds flew out roughly SE about 11.15. From the calls I presume they were all Parrots, at least no odd call heard and they did not sound like Commons!
Pics attached of a couple of the males.

john
www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

Attachments

• 18thparrot-4.jpg
    18thparrot-4.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 18thparrot2-2.jpg
    18thparrot2-2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 18thparrot-2.jpg
    18thparrot-2.jpg