Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cat v Grey Squirrel

Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 19:32   #26
Neil G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltit View Post
I would get the local pair of robins nest in the Ivy on the fence, even blue tits in their nest box close by thou I,m not sure if they liked one anothers company thou or one nested one year and thee other did,nt in that order, but the cats that come through the garden now stopped both of those species nesting to find safer confines, I enjoyed Watching the robins nesting and blue tits plus rearing of their young, after such birds as hedge sparrow and blackbird were robbed of their young by crows and magpies mainly magpies, just after 2000 I had a pair of song thrush nest in early march after about a week a carrion crow took the eggs, not forgetting the squirrels, but with the cats as well any successful birds deserve a gold star in breeding success luckily there are some.
We have the same problem.......there are so many cats in a small area that birds won't even feed let alone nest in our garden....until now.
After a lot of hard work and spending on electronic cat scarers,we have encouraged a number of birds to feed and we even have a pair of sparrows nesting in our wall.
I just wish people would think before buying cats and certainly only have one instead of three etc like a neighbour of ours has.
I'd like to think if people were better informed about the amount of our natural wildlife that pet cats kill,they could make better choices to the suitability of owning one themselves.
Old Friday 20th April 2018, 11:30   #27
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil G. View Post
We have the same problem.......there are so many cats in a small area that birds won't even feed let alone nest in our garden....until now.
After a lot of hard work and spending on electronic cat scarers,we have encouraged a number of birds to feed and we even have a pair of sparrows nesting in our wall.
I just wish people would think before buying cats and certainly only have one instead of three etc like a neighbour of ours has.
I'd like to think if people were better informed about the amount of our natural wildlife that pet cats kill,they could make better choices to the suitability of owning one themselves.
We have a neighbour in Nottingham who has six in a flat, they stink and no attempt is made to stop them roaming and impregnating other local cats.

Cat owners need to take responsibility for their 'pets' and keep them indoors as most cat owners in Russia do, some of our neighbours in Russia, even walk their cats on a lead - that is responsible ownership.

A
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: