• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Home made digiscoping setup (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
Just wondered what you all thought of my setup for digi scoping- if you can work it out from the photos.

Attachments

• Picture 111.jpg
    Picture 111.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 610
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 580
  • Picture 110.jpg
    Picture 110.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 567
  • Picture 112.jpg
    Picture 112.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 494
  • Picture 113.jpg
    Picture 113.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Wow Bob - looks great (is that a catapult handle I see?).

Very reminiscent of the old Zenith Photosniper setup where they mounted the camera & lens on a pistol grip stock.

I remember a neighbour in the 80's who was a plane fanatic taking shots from outside the barrier fencing @ Cardiff Airport with this rig - not something you could do today unless you fancied meeting an armed response unit ! ! !

Hope to some of your shots on the forum soon.

Dave Adshead said:
Bob,
It looks like Dan Dare's ray gun, its great.
Have you managed to get any images, if so, can we have a look?
Dave
Yes I put two on yesterday which I am now told are sp f c

Very ingenious. You would find it better to use one of the new digicams as the AF on the CP4500 is a little slow to track fast action. Would you like to do this full-time as I would like something like this for my Olympus 7070wz using the IR Remote as a trigger. Good work,Neil.

Recent Photos

BenBirding said:
Nice, Bob. That looks like a cool rig. Please post some of your images on this topic.
Hi Ben,
Heres some recent pics but still learning,you know what I mean -light ,wind ,movement etc

Attachments

• grwgtl.jpg
    grwgtl.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 351
  • rbs3.jpg
    rbs3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 380
  • sp3.gif
    sp3.gif
    123.8 KB · Views: 389
Neil said:
Very ingenious. You would find it better to use one of the new digicams as the AF on the CP4500 is a little slow to track fast action. Would you like to do this full-time as I would like something like this for my Olympus 7070wz using the IR Remote as a trigger. Good work,Neil.
Yes I know what you mean with the action shots Neil,full time -no I am enjoying myself too much over here in Turkey full time birding(great!)

bobwoodcock said:
Thanks Dave,I keep trying but I am finding that the 20x eyepiece gives better results than the 32x I wonder if anybody else finds this also?

Bob,
Very nice test results. I find I use 20x on the zoom 80% of the time. The magnification of 30x plus means more need for solid support and also more atmospherics playing a part. Neil.

Your (rebadged) Manfrotto 190 legs and 128 head shoudl have no problems supporting your APO77.

If stability becomes an issue when taking photos you can always set your tripod lower, or spread the legs more, both of these will help with the stability.

postcardcv said:
Your (rebadged) Manfrotto 190 legs and 128 head shoudl have no problems supporting your APO77.

If stability becomes an issue when taking photos you can always set your tripod lower, or spread the legs more, both of these will help with the stability.
Thanks PCV I did'nt think of that being a relative novice.

bobwoodcock said:
Thanks PCV I did'nt think of that being a relative novice.

Novice or otherwise, those shots of the little stint you posted in another thread today are excellent.

bobwoodcock said:
Thanks Neil,I use a Manfrotto 190 tripod (rebadged for Swarovski)do you think its sufficient for a Leica APO 77

Bob,
I have a couple of Manfrotto 3221s which were ok if not fully extended but I'm not sure about the 190. Most tripods would be ok at the lowest setting but if you want to digiscope standing up then it's a different story. Extend the tripod with the scope/lens on it bump it a little and see what happens. It should be rock solid. I read somewhere that it takens about 10 secs for the tripod to stop vibrating after being touched which is too long for digiscoping. If you photograph in a wooden hide with others around then it's almost impossible to avoid vibration. I use an IR Remote most of the time. Have a look at what surveyors use . They know. I have one of those wooden tripods and it's as solid as a rock but a bit heavy to carry around all day. Neil.

Neil said:
Bob,
I have a couple of Manfrotto 3221s which were ok if not fully extended but I'm not sure about the 190. Most tripods would be ok at the lowest setting but if you want to digiscope standing up then it's a different story. Extend the tripod with the scope/lens on it bump it a little and see what happens. It should be rock solid. I read somewhere that it takens about 10 secs for the tripod to stop vibrating after being touched which is too long for digiscoping. If you photograph in a wooden hide with others around then it's almost impossible to avoid vibration. I use an IR Remote most of the time. Have a look at what surveyors use . They know. I have one of those wooden tripods and it's as solid as a rock but a bit heavy to carry around all day. Neil.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and positive comments

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back