• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minolta Z5. (1 Viewer)

Henry B

Has any one experience of the Minolta z5, or heard of any opinions of same. How does it compare to other 12x zoom cameras,any info will help me decide what to go for..ta very much..

Aaaarrrgggh! I started this same thread a week or two back - must have perished in the system destruction!

There are no reviews of this yet - even on the usual sites, so hoping someone on here might have got one.

Not to worry, a wee bonus at work has given me the chance to get one this month, but still want to know more.

Please note, note camera is not required for scoping. Just the "inbetween" shots, ordinary shots, and when scoping is not an option - hence the requirement for 12x optical & image stabiliser (ideal for use in hides)

Steve

Last edited:
I am on the brink of buying one of these. I have used the z1 for the last 12 months and have been very pleased with it. My only problem is where exactly to buy one from? I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has used one.

I had a play with one in a local camera shop. The zoom was very smooth and the camera felt good - more SLR-like, which to be honest is the first time I have said that and now onto my 5th digital camera.

Of course messing about in the shop does not constitute a test. the dim-ish light was good for checking out the image-stabiliser, but I will reserve judgment until a more in depth review appears. - Or until I have used my own of course.

When I asked my local dealer why it came with a pathetic 16Mb SD card he replied so we can sell you a bigger one. His price of £350 was £80 more than online prices, indeed online I can get a couple of 128meg SD cards and Minolta camera case high capacity nicads and delivery cheaper!

A lot of stores are advertising them but have not received stocks as yet - inc Warehouse Express who will do them for £269.

I'm working on the theory that the prev Z series were succesful and improved upon each time - of course I could wait for the Z6/7 :eek!:

I'll let you all know my findings, but anyone else feel free to comment/review.

Steve

I think it will be suppliers Henry, but since DC's can be expensive when things go wrong it may be worth having for only £10 extra in the cost of the Z5. I did see the camera somewhere for £269 but its irrelevant since it was out of stock.

Update:

So far there are several people advertising them but not having them in stock - inc. WE!

Then there are those who have them but for well over £300.

Next there are those selling them but not interest free (my favourite)

and finally... those selling them but will not deliver to work, but insist they are delivered to the cardholders address. I am in the process of arranging my mate (who is laid up from work for four weeks) to purchase via his credit card, or find someone who will deliver to work.

Anyone find a source for sub £280 with interest free who will deliver to a business address etc.

Just wish DC Views would review it!

By the way, isn't it a case of any purchase over £100 on a Barclaycard if registered with Barclaycard gets an additional 1 year guarantee?

Steve

Quacker said:
Update:
By the way, isn't it a case of any purchase over £100 on a Barclaycard if registered with Barclaycard gets an additional 1 year guarantee?

Steve

Steve, just check that since my Barclycard Visa stopped that offer on 31st January 2005

Sick of looking for deals! - some sites offer 2 year warranty. I needed some other things, SOC for my Nikon ED78 (Opticron Imagic 80 is the equivalent or nearest fit), a hide clamp (Opticron half price offer) and a tripod/carrying strap. So ordered from our good friends and sharer of my salary at Warehouse Express.

I also got the Minolta Z series case for camera and a couple of 128meg SD cards. The camera will be in stock ;-) by the time I fill and return the credit forms etc. - I did tell you I only buy interest free - they'll deliver to work too.

On the down side, this now means I have cameras which take Compact flash, Secure Digital, Smart Media and MMC cards - perhaps I should get a Sony and get Memory Stick. Anyway, enough whinging, it's ordered and I can let you know how it goes. I don't even recoup anything for these cameras as they are handed down :eek!:

By the way, a one years warranty will suffice, because if the camera packs up afer 18 months for example, you always have the old "Sale of Goods Act" to fall back on. This has served me well for a number of years, and especially as extended warranties are overpriced. If the camera is mistreated, then fair enough, but the Konica Minolta corporation wouldn't really expect their latest Z model to last 18 months would they? - This works with another giant corporation (Sony) with their products.

However, I'll get off my consumer soap box and concentrate on the topic in hand. Will report back as & when.

Last edited:
Minolta Diamage Z5

I had a Minolta Diamage Z5 for a week . I didn't like the quality of the picture when shooting inside , most of them were blurry( out of focus).Even some exterior shot were not perfect. In the other hand the zoom is fantastique ,the CCD is great with the zoom. The movie quality is good and you can use the zoom when filming. I return my Z5 because ,like i said , mose picture look out of focus.
I read some review on the web and it seem like other guys got the same problem. I am waiting to see if it was just a bad luck or if their is a problem with the Z5 model.

Z5

Jean-Jacques Tr said:
I had a Minolta Diamage Z5 for a week . I didn't like the quality of the picture when shooting inside , most of them were blurry( out of focus).Even some exterior shot were not perfect. In the other hand the zoom is fantastique ,the CCD is great with the zoom. The movie quality is good and you can use the zoom when filming. I return my Z5 because ,like i said , mose picture look out of focus.
I read some review on the web and it seem like other guys got the same problem. I am waiting to see if it was just a bad luck or if their is a problem with the Z5 model.
Firstly welcome to Birdforum,When you returned the z5 did they offer any advice/excuse,suppose it could be a dodgy batch..

Thanks, I would like to say that if their is a lot of typing error it's because my first language is french. To answer your question , No. I did call Minolta Canada and USA but both place couldn't help me . They said that it wasn't officilay release in Canada and USA yet so their were no support. Because i had only 10 days to return the camera for full refund i had no choice. I work for a news agency and we have a professional photographer and he looked all the picture i took and he told me thay i could get better quality from a 5meg pixells camera.

Welcome to BF Jean Jacques :clap:

Mine is awaiting pick up at a local mail depot. Interesting post Jean Jacques - I will not now have a chance to play until Thursday night.

I care not for point & shoot indoor cameras, so that will not be an issue, I have SLR and compact & other digitals to deal with that. Unless it is really and truly poor then of course that's different. - Hopefully it is a one off or a bad batch.

Steve

Jean-Jacques Tr said:
Thanks, I would like to say that if their is a lot of typing error it's because my first language is french. To answer your question , No. I did call Minolta Canada and USA but both place couldn't help me . They said that it wasn't officilay release in Canada and USA yet so their were no support. Because i had only 10 days to return the camera for full refund i had no choice. I work for a news agency and we have a professional photographer and he looked all the picture i took and he told me thay i could get better quality from a 5meg pixells camera.
Jean-Jacques,did you you get the camera in the UK?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back