• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (2 Viewers)

The camera is way better than the 40....having had one, it's a definite step up
As to better than a 50, dunno...didn't bother!

I have just emailed Canon to ask the question why I can't get an image as sharp as I can see through the viewfinder. That is the biggest annoyance of this camera to me. Anyone that has one, let the camera focus itself on the moon and then half-press the shutter button and watch what happens to the image....and that's the end result. Software prob? Hardware prob? Don't know....

I have followed this thread with interest. I was just wondering what happens when the SX60 is zoomed out to 50x rather than the full 65x. Does the camera then compare with the SX50 for image quality? Just a thought, because if it compares I would definitely be interested. Better video, better EVF,microphone input and better screen puts that ahead for me. But all in all image quality comes first in a camera surely I know, but if it compared at 50x I would buy. Has anyone who has both cameras or access to both cameras tried this? Is the image quality impaired at full optical zoom or just when using the extenders. I never use the extenders anyway. I only use optical so personally I wouldn't be too concerned about image qualty with the extenders. I would sooner try and get closer! Perhaps if Canon had stopped this at 50x it would be a seller.

I have followed this thread with interest. I was just wondering what happens when the SX60 is zoomed out to 50x rather than the full 65x. Does the camera then compare with the SX50 for image quality? Just a thought, because if it compares I would definitely be interested. Better video, better EVF,microphone input and better screen puts that ahead for me. But all in all image quality comes first in a camera surely I know, but if it compared at 50x I would buy. Has anyone who has both cameras or access to both cameras tried this? Is the image quality impaired at full optical zoom or just when using the extenders. I never use the extenders anyway. I only use optical so personally I wouldn't be too concerned about image qualty with the extenders. I would sooner try and get closer! Perhaps if Canon had stopped this at 50x it would be a seller.

I would also buy if the speed and quality was on par with the Sx50 at 50x

I have to return my SX60 tomorrow, but will do what I can to get an answer for you as I use the camera today. Problem is, there are so many variables....I've been driving myself crazy just trying to test the IS, and that seems like it should be pretty simple....ha!
The first problem one encounters when trying to compare optical zoom on the two cameras is figuring out how to zoom the SX60 to 1200mm. The last gradations on the barrel go straight from 500mm to 1365, and nothing in the display tells you how far out you are until you get to 65x. That's one reason I used the teleconverters when I shot birds with both cameras...wouldn't be much of a comparison if focal lengths were all over the place.

Another problem when you start comparing focal lengths is that a lot of other things come into play; distance from the subject, size of the subject, it's relationship to the background, etc. Personally, I can't imagine shooting birds without ever going into the digital zoom range, if for no other reason than small birds at a distance can be impossible for the camera to lock focus on in optical range, especially if there's a busy background or light isn't optimal. The SX50 has performed admirably for me in this respect and I keep expecting the same from the SX60. So I may not be the best person to judge it's performance in a more limited capacity..... but I'll pass on anything I find that I think might be of interest to those considering the camera.

I have just emailed Canon to ask the question why I can't get an image as sharp as I can see through the viewfinder. That is the biggest annoyance of this camera to me. Anyone that has one, let the camera focus itself on the moon and then half-press the shutter button and watch what happens to the image....and that's the end result. Software prob? Hardware prob? Don't know....
Wasn't quite sure what you meant by "that's the end result," but when I got home tonight and saw the big moon, I figured I'd give it a "shot."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127980272@N06/15713365566/

I used sx50hs birding for more than a year, died in the rain late in September. As sx60 reviews are not very forthcoming and migrants birds are calling out loud. I couldn't wait, so nikon p600 was picked as a makeshift, quite satisfied. My opinions on p600:
1.AF is not very fast, but great.
2.Framing assist, the feature I love most in sx50 is there in P600's zoom BACK button.
3.Decent IQ.
4.Unique BIRDING scene mode.
Sample pics in my blog

Last edited:
Reading quite a lot about the 50 & 60 lately....and a disturbing number of 50 owners have said their camera has died after little more than a year......

I got mine Dec 25, 2012 and I figure I've taken over 40,000 photos so far. Sometimes the shutter button feels sticky but not usually. But I have been considering getting a second SX50 before stocks run out.

Got an extra day to fool with the SX60 when I realized Best Buy's return policy is 15 days, not two weeks. So I took about 400 photos and tried (where possible) to A/B it with the SX50 in the optical range.
My overall impression of the camera is that the lens is fine. On a tripod it beats the SX50's ability to capture detail, but when using the camera handheld in the field, all bets are off...once in a while it's great, but more often than not, the images are muddy. I "think" the problem lies in the camera's image stabilization, or lack thereof. It's not so much long focal lengths that that give it trouble, but distance from the subject, especially in lower light conditions.
Its going to take me awhile to sort through all the photos I took today and yesterday, but here's a folder I created quickly tonight that kind of illustrates what I'm talking about.. All shots of this Little Blue were taken at approx. 50x, and the best SX60 image isn't that much different from the best SX50 image. The difference is, the number of shots required to get a "keeper," so I included all the photos taken of this bird with both cameras, while he was in this location;https://www.flickr.com/photos/127980272@N06/

I'm thinking my IS might need repair too. @birdboybowley - did you ever follow up the advice from Canon?

What is happening for me is with IS on continuous, full or nearly full zoom, it's hard to keep the frame on the subject. I press the barrel button (for extra IS?) and the image bounces up and down very quickly for a few seconds and then locks in. It would be OK without the bouncing and better still without having to use the barrel button.

Does anyone else have this behaviour?

Thanks

I'm thinking my IS might need repair too. @birdboybowley - did you ever follow up the advice from Canon?

What is happening for me is with IS on continuous, full or nearly full zoom, it's hard to keep the frame on the subject. I press the barrel button (for extra IS?) and the image bounces up and down very quickly for a few seconds and then locks in. It would be OK without the bouncing and better still without having to use the barrel button.

Does anyone else have this behaviour?

Thanks
Yup, this is what I experienced too, very frustrating. I thought the 4 or 5 seconds of amplified jigginess might have been caused by not getting focus before pressing the lock button.....problem was, the image was moving around too much for the camera to get focused...a catch 22!
I just tried to get my SX50 to do the same "jig" but couldn't, even if I moved the camera away from the subject, pressed the lock button and then found the subject again.
I also turned the IS completely off and the Frame assist lock button still worked just fine. Wonder if that would be worth trying on the SX60...maybe make it work faster....?

When I was carrying the two cameras around, it was always a relief to switch from the SX60 back to the SX50 and not have to fight the constant motion. Like somebody at DP Review said...I felt like I was having to work way too hard for results that weren't as good.

BTW, the first SX60 I tried did the same thing, so I have a hard time believing this isn't something Canon knew about before releasing the camera.

By the way, I just ordered a second SX50 on Amazon today. $400 bundle including a 32GB SD card and a carry bag.

The review testing image quality at the long end of the zoom that was posted here, or in that other SX60 topic, where they compared something like 8 new superzooms, all in the $500+ range, and included the SX50 in the test just for kicks, and the SX50 still ending up in the top 3, for a lot less money, pretty much made my decision.

If I recall correctly the SX60 just didn't rate.

Ya I could pay $550+ for the Nikon but that's a different charger, different battery, different software.

I believe that the SX50 will go down in history as the most popular, for good reason, wildlife camera of it's time and even after it's time.

Here is the link again. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/best-superzoom-2014/best-superzoom-2014-A.HTM

Last edited:
i get the bouncing movement now and again,i think it is due to not pressing the focus button first as mzettie said,like others I am also experiencing a few soft pics ill try switching off the is next time I am out

heron pic taken in foggy conditions,

Attachments

• quey.JPG
    quey.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 163
  • heron.JPG
    heron.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 198
  • pipit.JPG
    pipit.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 230
I finally got around to putting some more photos into the SX50/SX60 folder.....new ones start with the Carolina Wren (after the Little Blue Heron.) All are SOOC, unless otherwise specified in the "details," under the number of the photo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127980272@N06/sets/72157648590733867/

The day I took these I stayed mostly in the optical zoom range, and attempted to keep the SX60 close to the SX50's max of 50x. It's a little tricky trying to guess where that is but I tried, since a couple of people wanted to know if doing so would result in better IQ from the SX60. I don't believe it did, but people considering the camera will have to judge for themselves, and decide whether the improved features outweigh any differences in image quality. Not everyone uses a camera the way I do, and those who mostly shoot at more modest focus lengths and distances might really like this camera.

Initially, I thought a slightly lower IQ from the SX60 wouldn't bother me, since I take photos mostly to id birds and for record-keeping. Once I realized the issue seems to be with image stabilization though, I changed my mind, since I do a lot of shooting at long distances and that's where this particular problem will have the most impact. Heck, who wants a "superzoom" that can't "superzoom"....!!! ?
Joking aside, I tried to give the SX60 the advantage, almost always shooting with it first, and taking twice as many shots with it as I did with the SX50. I didn't include any series where the subject moved to very different light between camera switches, and I didn't include any small, energetic birds because none stayed still long enough for me to get multiple shots with the SX60 and still catch them with the SX50. However, I know the SX50's capabilities well, and was able to shoot enough small birds with the SX60 to decide that for me at least, there is no comparison; small birds, long distances and camera shake make for lots of UFOs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back