• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A New Binocular Brand is Launched (3 Viewers)

I thought the meaning was quite plain. The point being made is that, whatever the view maybe in America, the right to bear arms is deeply distrusted in the UK and (to a lesser degree, I think) in much of Europe. The point is how would Americans regard a website that asked them to support an organisation that that was inimical to widely held views in their society, expressed the view in a 'foreign' language and yet also claimed to be 'American'. I hope this helps.

OK.

Your analogy is clear now.

Take the tools away from the individuals - problems solved, at least for most of us.

The bad individuals will still have the tools though my friend. Big problem.

Hmm...I wonder why the USA has so many more bad individuals than do other wealthy western nations?
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/...ath-rates-the-us-is-in-a-different-world.html

How does this relate to bins?
Do people with more bins use them more often, or are rates of binocular use and abuse a reflection of morals and motivation?

--AP

Last edited:
I thought the meaning was quite plain. The point being made is that, whatever the view maybe in America, the right to bear arms is deeply distrusted in the UK and (to a lesser degree, I think) in much of Europe. The point is how would Americans regard a website that asked them to support an organisation that that was inimical to widely held views in their society, expressed the view in a 'foreign' language and yet also claimed to be 'American'. I hope this helps.

Thanks for explaining - the first few versions of my post contained examples which would have been immediately clear to anybody - but I didn't think it was correct to post those.

Joachim

I like to have a legally registered (tool) with me in case a mentally imbalanced individual decides to do myself or others around me harm, if you choose to leave yourself no recourse but to be slaughtered it's you're own business, I will always give myself every chance possible to survive and protect others.

I like to have a legally registered (tool) with me

Tool? Why so euphemistic? You are talking about guns, tools for killing people.

I like to know that people around me are unlikely to carry guns, regardless of their mental state. Statistics show clearly that I'm much safer from "bad guys" in countries with strict gun control than I would be in your country.

But as John put is so well, sometimes it is really hard to understand other nations psychology.

We Germans also have our own irrational interpretation of individual freedom in sticking to the right to drive as fast as we want on our highways.

We Germans also have our own irrational interpretation of individual freedom in sticking to the right to drive as fast as we want on our highways.

But not all autobahns and many of them are now so congested with traffic that it is impossible to reach even 130 kph.

Lee

I like to have a legally registered (tool) with me in case a mentally imbalanced individual decides to do myself or others around me harm, if you choose to leave yourself no recourse but to be slaughtered it's you're own business, I will always give myself every chance possible to survive and protect others.

Amen brother.

Tool? Why so euphemistic? You are talking about guns, tools for killing people.

I like to know that people around me are unlikely to carry guns, regardless of their mental state. Statistics show clearly that I'm much safer from "bad guys" in countries with strict gun control than I would be in your country.

But as John put is so well, sometimes it is really hard to understand other nations psychology.

In the USA's case you would have to understand the "psychology" of America's Founding Fathers if that is even possible.

"History" is a much better word to use here.

Tool?

:t:

"History" is a much better word to use here.

Indeed it is Bob.

The opinion of many folks in the UK has probably been influenced by what happened some years ago when a gunman with 4 legally held handguns walked into a children's school in Dunblane, Scotland and killed 15 5-year old children and a teacher and left about another 15 or so with GSWs. It was a horrific event and led to the banning of handguns in the UK.

This is not meant to cast any light on the situation in the States but on how the UK ended up where we are now.

With apologies for this diversion away from optics.

Lee

The proper "tool" in the proper hands would have saved the lives of all of those innocent victims Lee, IMHO. Horrific is correct though, no matter where you live.

Thanks Steve!

Now, back to the original OP's intentions..."New Optical Instrument Choices"!

The GPO binocular line up is interesting. Other then their claimed marketing hype, pretty website and seasoned optic developers, time and field usage will tell all! :t:

Ted

Thanks Steve!

Now, back to the original OP's intentions..."New Optical Instrument Choices"!

The GPO binocular line up is interesting. Other then their claimed marketing hype, pretty website and seasoned optic developers, time and field usage will tell all! :t:

Ted

I wonder when we will get to see and evaluate the hardware?

Lee

The link gives me a (do not have permission to access this page) message.

Gentlemen,and Lady,

We would like the Binocular forum to stay about Binoculars please, so I have started a thread for you, this part of the forum is NOT moderated, but there is a line that should not be crossed, you will know if you cross it.

You need to subscribe to the forum.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=338196

thanks

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back