• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cat biscuits (1 Viewer)

TedBC

I've noticed that the cat biscuits, which I was putting out for hedgehogs and foxes, were being eaten by starlings and other birds. During this cold weather, I've been putting more out for them, along with other seeds, peanuts, etc. The cat bics have a high protein and fat content, so are good energy, but are they good for the birds, or is there a problem I don't know about? The birds eat them readily, but then, ducks eat bread, too. Doesn't mean it's good for them.

In my small sub-division of single family homes, flocking birds is a sure sign for backyard pet food.

Water is a premium in west Texas, birds don't have much choice on the matter, they go where it's found. Self awareness easily identifies which homes have water only, which have food, and which have both. Grackles and Jays will group up at homes with dog and cat food. Sparrows, doves, cardinals, thrashers, and such are signals for fresh water. All can be found on fence lines and roof tops eyeing the backyards for those pesky dogs and cats prior to alighting down for tasty kibbles and bits.

I regularly find dog and cat food in my birdbaths deposited by Grackles and Jays soaking, softening up prior to consumption. Much like dunking a cookie (biscuit to some) in a glass of milk.

I would think your cat biscuits are a lot healthier than off-the-shelf dried pet food from China, I've read numerous wicked horror stories about their non-disclosed ingredients. If I'm correct, I believe I've read stories where their bagged food resulted in deaths of pet dogs here in the states.

As for my Grackles and Jay, I've not seen one drop out of the sky dead or keeled over at my baths. My summation is; China either cleaned up their act or more people are buying domestic pet food with a surefire list of ingredients.

Maybe others have a different opinion?

Good Luck my friend.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back