• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF-65ED-A Eyepieces/ Tripod (1 Viewer)

PTPIER

Thanks to the valuable comments from our members I have decided on the Pentax 65ED as my first spotting scope purchase. Next, I was recommended the Bogen (Manfrotto) QR-3180 tridpo set which consists of the 3011 legs and 3130 head. I haven't found any comments on this tripod in my searches - would this be an overkill for this scope? Would the 3001 legs be sturdy enough in windy conditions or for digiscoping?
Also, I would like to add an EP and I already have some telescopic 1 1/4" eypieces. I have received recommendations for the Orion Expanse (except the 15mm - bad eye relief), the Orion ED's (relaxed eye relief), Pentax XF series, and the Vixen 8-24 Lanthanum long eye relief Zoom. Can I go wrong with any of these?
Many thanks,
Paul

The 3011 is not overkill. It's comparable to the 3021/055. The main differences are that the 3011 doesn't have adjustable leg angles and uses twist locks instead of lever locks on the leg sections.

The 3001 may be adequate for most conditions., but I would stick with the 3011.

Unless you can snag a Gitzo G1227/G1257.

I have the 3001BPRO tripod and find it perfectly fine for use with the Pentax scope. It is lighter than the 3011, has the quick leglocks, and I think you might as well get the "PRO" model, which allows horizontal placement of the center column, because it only costs about $10 or $15 more than the model without this feature (which can be very useful if you ever use it for photography).

PT,

I just bought a 65 ED Angled myself and have been using two of my Meade astronomical eyepieces with it....a 25 mm and a 9 mm. They are adequate and I believe I am relatively happy with the 25 mm in terms of optical quality and eye relief. The 9mm seems dimmer than I would prefer and the eye relief is horribly short. With those problems in mind I decided to purchase a set of 3 (20mm, 15mm and 9 mm) EWA eyepieces from Knight Owl Services. I do not remember the exact numbers at the moment but the eye relief is supposed to be good with a 66 degree field of view. I believe they are similar to some of the Orion models but do not remember which. Price was $37 a piece but there was a discount if you bought 3 or more. They are not listed on their website yet but you can email the owner, Tom, at [email protected] .

Website addy is http://www.owlservices.com/ . I am unsure what part of New Jersey you are from but the location of Owl Services store is just outside of Allentown, PA. When I receive mine I will be sure to post more.

Last edited:
I just got my PF 65ED in two weeks ago, and opted for the 3001BD/3130. I find it very suitable for this scope.

In addition, I feel if you ever go to a larger scope, or for digiscoping, this combination would be fine.

I certainly would hesitate to carry anything much heavier than this combination around on my shoulder. In fact, I find using the Manfrotto strap, the whole assembly is a little "top heavy". I'm thinking I will carry the scope in my backpack with the tripod attached to the backback. Much more comfortable!

It is very quick to attach/detach the scope from the head.

I would like to hear from others using the Owl Services enhanced SWA eyepieces. I am about to place an order but am questioning the 9mm wondering if it would provide too dark of an image.

Here is a copy/paste of an email I sent to Jerry. It is a brief synopsis of my experiences today with the Knight Owl EWA eyepieces.....

I received the eyepieces this morning (less than one day from when I ordered them) and have been playing around with them all day. They are superb in my opinion. I cannot believe that they are only $37 a piece. I feel like I stole something. :)

In all seriousness, the eyepieces are quite good...exceptional even, especially when you consider the price. The Pentax is my most expensive and highest quality scope so I cannot put them in a comparison to the Pentax XF or XW eyepieces or any of the other high end units but they are definitely more than satisfactory as far as I am concerned. I am even debating now whether or not to go ahead and order the 6 mm as well. Which brings me to your other comments...

The 9 mm is quite good. All three of the eyepieces have exceptionally wide ocular lenses. They are basically the same diameter as the 1.25" tube they are mounted to. Eye relief is pretty good though both the 9 mm and 15 mm are shorter than the 20 mm. All of them give you a true wide angle effect with only moderate distortion around the outside edges. The image is bright with good contrast (though not the best). I have no complaints.

Lastly, I do not have a digiscoping setup though I have handheld an older 1.3 megapixel Kodak camera up to the eyepiece of several of my scopes. I tried it with the Pentax/Knight Owl combination and this was one of the better pictures. Keep in mind the older camera/low resolution and the fact that it was handheld....

Attachments

• finch3.jpg
    finch3.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back