• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Missoual (1 Viewer)

jc122463

Birding around Missoula, Montana

Well, there doesn't seem to be much traffic in the Montana section but....

I'm planning on heading out to Missoula over the next two weeks (late Sept.) and am wondering if anyone has advice on good places to go and birds to keep an eye out for.

I've been having a look at http://www.montanabirdingtrail.org/maps/r1/t1/r1t1.htm, but am wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of the area. I'll only really have a couple of days but I've never been out that way so should have a chance at a few lifers still.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Benji

Last edited:
Well this reply is only a couple years too late but oh well. The Lee Metcalf Wildlife Refuge between Florence and Stevensville is the best wildlife refuge I have ever been to. Late September is a little late though. Many of the summer birds will already be gone but it still should be pretty neat. BTW that would be about 20 miles south of Missoula.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back