• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen harrier in Bowland (1 Viewer)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
Decided to walk from Dunsop Bridge - (the dead centre of Britain) to Langdale Castle yesterday.
Hope was to see Ring Ousel and some birds of prey. On the river at the entry point to the track near Sykes Farm we saw three Grey Wagtails and a Dipper. First bird of Prey was a Kestel, followed by a Buzzard. Next bird to fly across was Jay, as we approached the Langdale Intake pumping station we had a lovely Redstart and then our first Meadow Pipits of the day.
On the rocky river banks were Oystercatchers and Common Sandpipers with a good number of Pied Wagtails. As we started to climb we had our first Stonechats, male and female but then came my highlight of the day, flying along the treeline coming probably from the Bowland Estate came a delighful male Hen Harrier, while we still get occasional birds in our area in winter this is first bird I've seen round here for a couple of years during the breeding season. We were able to follow the bird for a few minutes as he just drifted through.
I knew that would be my highlight but we spoke to a fellow birder who told us he had seen a Ring Ousel near the barn, sure enough when we started the walk down towards the barn there was a Ring Ousel on the ground just to our left, unfortunately it immediately flew up to the rocks on right where it just stopped briefly on a bush, scanning the area we also saw the female, not well but OK views. During a picnic lunch we saw a Merlin and then we took the high track back, only one Curlew seen plus a few more Stonechats, a Willow warbler, Blackcap and Whitethroat and finally a nice showy Tree Pipit.
Back down the hill and at the Intake pond we saw a Chiffchaff having a drink and then a Spotted Flycatcher.
With good weather and a final ice cream at Puddleduck in Dunsop Bridge a really good day out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back