• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 10x50 vs Zeiss HT 10x54 Help (1 Viewer)

BlaserLRH

Hello everybody,

Need your advice with glass selection please

I´m looking for the best low light performance binos.

I am between:
Swarovski EL 10x50
Zeiss HT 10x54 (Bigger Obj. And almost same weight as the EL)

Besides, I´d like to know how does the Swaro 15x56 SLC HD compares to them and how do they perform in daylight and low light..

I have an idea about they use different prisms but I can´t figure out the performance differences

I´ll use them on a tripod, so no problem for the 15x magnification..

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Blaser and Welcome to BF! :hi:

Is what you are looking for going to be your only or primary optics?

FWIW, since this is a "Birding Forum", mods do not like to see the "H" word...:t:

Ted

Hello everybody,

Need your advice with glass selection please

I´m looking for the best low light performance binos for hunting

I am between:
Swarovski EL 10x50

Besides, I´d like to know how does the Swaro 15x56 SLC HD compares to them and how do they perform in daylight and low light..

I have an idea about they use different prisms but I can´t figure out the performance differences

I´ll use them on a tripod, so no problem for the 15x magnification..

Thanks.

3 points from my perspective (only my personal opinion, of course):

First, the HT will be a bit brighter than the EL SV. Will you see the difference? I am not sure. I think I see a slightly brighter exit pupil on the HT when holding both binoculars side by side against a bright background, but I am not convinced out in the field, that will translate into more light, better contrast, or whatever. I think both binos belong to the category „best that you can get“ and either will do just fine in low light.
Second, the SLC: I like your idea to use it mounted, because whatever I hear people telling me, mounted is the only way for me to use a 15x at its potential. Now, whether the SLC (with less than 4mm exit pupil) or one of the 10x binos (with 5mm or more exit pupil) will perform better, will depend much on what you observe, at what distance, what light conditions etc. In some instances, you might be slightly better served with the SLC (which by itself is a fabulous instrument, maybe today the best 15x56). Whether size and weight are of any significance to you I don‘t know.
And third, you will have to try them out. Whatever I am telling you here, nothing counts as much as you, your eyes and interaction with the instrument. That might in the end be your most important consideration.

fwiw Canip

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the opportunity I also recommend you comparing Zeiss Victory 10x56FL and Swaro 10x56 SLC if you are looking for the best low light performing 10X binoculars.

I´m looking for the best low light performance binos.
I am between:
Swarovski EL 10x50

Actually, the comparable Swaro is the 10x56 SLC, which I think is worth a look, having recently got one myself. Of course if 15x works for your purposes (harder to handhold), by all means go for that because it's amazing. I prefer the SLC to the EL myself, but most people would say the reverse, and they're both excellent. It's a matter of traditional shape vs open bridge, a modest weight difference, the flatter field of the EL SV etc, and cost. You should be able to compare them at a Cabela's if you have one nearby.

I have no experience with the Zeiss but here's a Swaro review that makes the comparison:
http://scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro10x56SLC.htm

Blaser:

an opinion.

Have compared the 10x54 HT to the new models of the 15x SLC and the 10x SLC over a period of months. But no direct comparisons to the 10x50 EL.

The tripod view of the 15x56 is 1st rate, particularly for long sits at a long ways. Have put them to good use hand-held for short periods of time. Seldom use the 15x by itself for terrestrial--have a lower power along, generally an 8.5x.

At 15x the bird gets impressively large...:)

The 10x56 SLC would be a better choice in very low light, but have used the 15x right to civil twilight. It is no slouch for the beginning and end of the day.

If the choice had to be one, it would depend on the distance viewed.

fwiw...

I wouldn't ignore the 15x56 Conquest HD. Its a lot of bino for a very reasonable price and comes with a robust and elegant tripod adapter that works a treat.

Lee

If looking for portability and edge to edge performance EL SV 10X50 hands down.

If looking for absolute low light performance a binocular with A-K prisims will have a slight edge. Big objectives help too. So the Zeiss 54mm HTs and Swarovski 56mm SLCs are the best at absolute low light performance. At least that I know of. Zeiss Conquest HD 56mm right in there too, maybe an un-noticiable half notch below the HT and SLC.

If looking for portability and edge to edge performance EL SV 10X50 hands down.

If looking for absolute low light performance a binocular with A-K prisims will have a slight edge. Big objectives help too. So the Zeiss 54mm HTs and Swarovski 56mm SLCs are the best at absolute low light performance. At least that I know of. Zeiss Conquest HD 56mm right in there too, maybe an un-noticiable half notch below the HT and SLC.

:t:

Blaser, fwiw, I should add that when am observing specifically in very low light I pair the 10x56 with the 15x, rather than the 8.5x42.

Not that it makes enough difference to write about, but to say there is an advantage to a little more power and aperture for what you are looking for.

For example, occasionally an owl will land very close when I'm calling and the 10x is easier to get on the bird than the 15x on a tripod or its IS counterpart, for that matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back