• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Fish Owl (1 Viewer)

Ian Lewis

aka Gryllo
Europe
From information gleaned from members of the Sound Approach it would appear that the Brown Fish Owls recently rediscovered in Turkey are vocally distinct from populations further east, and have a genetic distance (I presume mitochondrial DNA) of about 2%.

I presume this will be published in the near future and don't know anything more at this point.

Ian

Interesting. That probably explains why Arnoud van den Berg (of The Sound Approach) has since Aug 2009 listed Bubo zeylonensis semenowi 'Western Brown Fish Owl' as a 'distinct subspecies sometimes considered specifically distinct' [Dutch Birding bird names].

Richard

Last edited:
Curious.

On the other hand, some other owls also have large genetic distances. Perhaps because they are sedentary. Little Owls from Europe and Turkey have even bigger genetic difference.

Last edited:
Van den Berg, Bekir, de Knijff & The Sound Approach 2010. Rediscovery, biology, vocalisations and taxonomy of fish owls in Turkey. Dutch Birding 32(5): 287-298.
http://www.dutchbirding.nl/journal.php?id=233
http://www.dutchbirding.nl/journal.php?show_summary=true&journalid=233&contentid=1 [Dutch summary]

Seems to suggest possible species status for semenowi, based on plumage, vocal and genetic differences.

[Haven't received my copy yet...]

Richard

Indeed it does. Although further molecular research by Peter de Knijff will be conducted. Furthermore, The Sound Approach intends to study fish owl accoustics of more taxa in the near future.

Hi,
This year, early July, my wife and myself are planning a 'family holiday' in southern Turkey. Anyone interested to go and try to see the Brown Fish Owls at 'Little Canyon'? See Netfugl...
It would be cheaper to go on a 'dedicated boat trip' with a couple more people interested to see the owls than to go by myself. I have all contacts to get it arranged. Please e-mail me at wheatear32athotmaildotcom

Thanks
Regards,
Miguel

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back